Guys..I need help...this is turning into a nightmare!

Mihai Ilie

Hello everyone!

Long story short..a few months ago I build the pc of my dreams...and ever since I only had problems with it. I already sent the gpu once for a RMA and also sent the psu twice (they replaced it the second time) . The problem is..it makes a really, really strange noise. It is a buzzing noise that is driving me nuts. Before you even ask..yes I have a GTX 970 from msi..but trust me this is not coil whine. I also get a little bit of coil whine from the gpu while in games...but most of the times I am sure it is not it the one that is driving me crazy. The PSU is an Antec vp700p, 700w power supply.

Here is a video I recorded a few minutes ago. The video was recorded while on desktop..trust me, you do not want to hear the buzz I heard a few minutes ago while I was playing battlefield. Please watch it until the end..as I move my camera so you can tell me, in your opinion what is making the buzz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUKXnBiw3iE

Honestly..I am really, really sad because I wanted this pc for a long time..I saved for it...and now it is making nothing but trouble. 

Again, please watch the video until the and and pay attention..and help me!

Please..I really do not know what to do in order to get rid of this sound. I am desperate.

Best regards

UPDATE 1: I turned off the pc...the buzz is still there even like this. As soon as I switch the power to on..it starts making it. The psu was changed this Saturday with a brand new one..I do not know what to do.

Also..this is the sound it makes when I start the pc from 0 :

First of all, thank you for your asnwer! I thought it was a good psu..since it is an Antec psu. I heard good things about their products. The weird thing is..they changed the psu once..and it's still happening. Also..did you hear the buzz? (many guys told me they couldn't). One more thing..this happend aswell like a few days ago..and then it stopped. Now it is doing this again. What can I do?

Into the wall..

EDIT: Nope...nope..sorry...is this what you call a surge protector? 

11166066_773378956063713_884027588_n.jpg

First of all, thank you for your asnwer! I thought it was a good psu..since it is an Antec psu. I heard good things about their products. The weird thing is..they changed the psu once..and it's still happening. Also..did you hear the buzz? (many guys told me they couldn't). One more thing..this happend aswell like a few days ago..and then it stopped. Now it is doing this again. What can I do?

Are you sure you have enough Watts on your PSU? If you've only got 1% spare, I don't think things will be smooth.

Did you try 2 Antecs? Try getting a cheap Be Quiet! if you're in Europe, or an EVGA if you're in USA. (I don't know any Asian/Australian/African PSU brands :P), and see if that works better.

Edited by Stijncat

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Are you sure you have enough Watts on your PSU? If you've only got 1% spare, I don't think things will be smooth.

Did you try 2 Antecs? Try getting a cheap Be Quiet! if you're in Europe, or an EVGA if you're in USA. (I don't know any Asian/Australian/African PSU brands :P), and see if that works better.

The PSU is a 700w psu. (Antec vp700p)

This is my rig: i7 4790k

asus z97k

8gb ram

msi gtx 970

1tb seagate barracuda

and the psu..

The PSU is a 700w psu. (Antec vp700p)

This is my rig: i7 4790k

asus z97k

8gb ram

msi gtx 970

1tb seagate barracuda

and the psu..

Alright, that seems more than enough wattage (I think almost double than what you need, go futureproof!)

Try doing what I suggeested in my previous post, or write a mail to Antec and be like

large.gif

(Aka send the video link and description of your problem :P)

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

All i can guess is that power supply has low quality parts or for some reason there is too much power going through one of its rails but that doesn't seem possible on your setup

A guy from antec answered me a few days ago..and since then...nothing.This is what he said:

"Hi,

I am the PSU PM from Antec and located in Taiwan. Let me get this straight:

You got 1 or 2 replacement(s) so far and doing a similar noise?

The noise is also after you turn off the PC and always imminent?

Can you turn the PSU up so the fan is on top?

Once with the GPU connected and once without?

The noise appears to come from the Standby-transformer, but that you get 2-3 bad ones is "RARE""

Also..isn't it strange that botyh psus did this after a while? also..ironically on the box it says "Quite computin" -.-

And if you are wondering I paid around 100$ for the psu. 

Try plugging the pc into different power socket, possible on the wall socket in different room.

Okay..I will try that in a seccond and I will come back and let you know what happend!

Absolutely no difference...same thing in two other rooms.

The fan is indeed pointed down and the surface is also clean. I do not know if they will refund my money since about 5 months passed since I bought the psu...even though it was more in service than with me.

Is it dusty?
I just replaced one on a customers machine that was making the same noise; Her house was nasty and and her computer was dusty as all hell. 
You're going to have to replace it.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

If it's indeed a transformer, then RMA until fixed - nothing you can do about it. Does the sound continue forever when turned off but plugged in?

Is it dusty?

I just replaced one on a customers machine that was making the same noise; Her house was nasty and and her computer was dusty as all hell. 

You're going to have to replace it.

No it is not dusty at all!

If it's indeed a transformer, then RMA until fixed - nothing you can do about it. Does the sound continue forever when turned off but plugged in?

it does indeed continue for ever even when turned off. I left the psu switched on during the night..and the sound seems to be gone now. I will test bf4 in a moment and let you know if it si all right

Meanwhile I managed to get rid of it by leaving my psu on over night (the psu..not the pc...the pc was shut down)..but now it started doing it again.

Here is a video I recorded a few minutes ago:

What can I do in order to fix this permanently? I do not know if this time will work by leaving the psu on. I really need some answers..

Meanwhile I managed to get rid of it by leaving my psu on over night (the psu..not the pc...the pc was shut down)..but now it started doing it again.

Here is a video I recorded a few minutes ago:

What can I do in order to fix this permanently? I do not know if this time will work by leaving the psu on. I really need some answers..

I'm not sure it CAN be fixed.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I'm not sure it CAN be fixed.

It is gone again..I do not know why. For example..now it stopped while it was under load (while playing battlefield 4)

What is going on?

It is gone again..I do not know why. For example..now it stopped while it was under load (while playing battlefield 4)

What is going on?

Could be the fan for all I know. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler