Metadata sanitization program?

Out of curiosity, how many of you use a program to sanitize the metadata from you pictures, ie: remove GPS/location tags and other sensitive information

If you do sanitize your metadata, which application do you guys use/recommend? How about for bulk photos?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Why would you?

Not like someones gonna hunt you down

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Why would you?

Not like someones gonna hunt you down

You never know. If you take photos near where you live it could expose your location to the online world. Just look at how popular doxxing and swatting has become.

All it takes is someone who's a little off the wall to possibly wreak havoc on someone's life.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

You never know. If you take photos near where you live it could expose your location to the online world. Just look at how popular doxxing and swatting has become.

All it takes is someone who's a little off the wall to possibly wreak havoc on someone's life.

Your IP is in the source code of this page

And it's really easy to do too. :(

...You really don't know how this works...

IP adress ≠ location. 

GPS coordinates stored in picture metadata does show your location:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/12/technology/personaltech/12basics.html?_r=0

And it's really easy to do too. :(

...You really don't know how this works...

Someone could figure it out I'm sure

Someone could figure it out I'm sure

You'd have to access any kind of server log to see where the post originated from, you can't just press F12 and Dox people.

Should be fine, so long as your camera can't record location or has the function to exclude location from the properties pane. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Should be fine, so long as your camera can't record location or has the function to exclude location from the properties pane. 

That's the thing. I actually have my GPS tagging on. But I keep all my originals for myself. I would like to think that as time goes by and I look over my photos, I would like to know where they were shot.

The issue arises though when I want to post my photos online, such as with facebook, Google Photos, or Flickr. 

As of right now, I'm using ExifTool, but I'm wondering what others use? Or do you all not care enough?

That's the thing. I actually have my GPS tagging on. But I keep all my originals for myself. I would like to think that as time goes by and I look over my photos, I would like to know where they were shot.

The issue arises though when I want to post my photos online, such as with facebook, Google Photos, or Flickr. 

As of right now, I'm using ExifTool, but I'm wondering what others use? Or do you all not care enough?

I can generally remember where I took something so I don't bother turning on Geo-tagging since my phone obviously supports it but the DSLR I plan on buying next year most likely won't which doesn't bother me. (Location can be remedied by file organization.)

I can generally remember where I took something so I don't bother turning on Geo-tagging since my phone obviously supports it but the DSLR I plan on buying next year most likely won't which doesn't bother me. (Location can be remedied by file organization.)

THe issue though (with me at least) is that most of my photography is nature/landscape based. I take these pictures when I go hiking or camping, and sometimes, it is difficult to remember on what trail a picture was taken as sometimes they aren't well marked. This is especially true when you're out 16 miles from the nearest trailhead doing switchbacks on a mountain.

THe issue though (with me at least) is that most of my photography is nature/landscape based. I take these pictures when I go hiking or camping, and sometimes, it is difficult to remember on what trail a picture was taken as sometimes they aren't well marked. This is especially true when you're out 16 miles from the nearest trailhead doing switchbacks on a mountain.

Hmmm suppose that could become an issue of remembering. I would suspect that in Windows at least you could delete the location meta-tag.

not really bothered, my location is on facebook anyway :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I never geotag photos (ill do it manually in lightroom if the need arises). If it's being published or posted online, I usually only keep the camera/lens info in the metadata.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Usually I export pictures without metadata out of lightroom.

I don't see a benefit of metadata.

Out of curiosity, how many of you use a program to sanitize the metadata from you pictures, ie: remove GPS/location tags and other sensitive information

If you do sanitize your metadata, which application do you guys use/recommend? How about for bulk photos?

Depends where you are posting the picture too, if its a large competition and their isnt any metadata you lose your qualifications, if its on like facebook or something, your metadata gets lost anyways, if its like flickr then whatever, makes no sense to take away metadata, unless you got the shot somewhere you should never be.