No display after changing GPU

SgtLuke
Go to solution Solved by SgtLuke,

Update: went to bring back the second DOA EVGA 980. Exchanged for a Gigabyte 980. Just installed, works absolutely smooth from the first second on...

Conclusion: when you have as much luck in love and life as I do, you can obviously get two DOA GPU in a row! :-)

Sucks, but happens. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me out.

Hello guys!

I bought an EVGA 980 Hydro Copper to upgrade from my AMD R9 290, mainly to use GSYNC with my ASUS ROG SWIFT. Now my Problem is that I just can't get an image on my monitor(s). Over DVI the monitor remains black, although there must be some sort of signal coming through, as the monitor displays DVI instead of "no signal". When connected through DisplayPort my ROG SWIFT shows a high frequency flickering, doesn't look healthy...

Beside this the PC seems to boot normally, no error codes on the MB. If i choose to use onboard GPU with disabled PCIE Win7 boots normally and the GTX980 even gets displayed in the device manager. The GPU and CPU are watercooled with a custom loop in a CM HAFX. Further specs:

ASUS P8Z77 V LX (latest bios update)

I7 3770K

Corsair 760 PSU

I can almost exclude to have a faulty GPU, as I already exchanged the first one with the same problem.

Ideas are highly appreciated!

Well what about the monitor? Did that one die maybe?

G-sync won't kick in until the drivers and everything are installed and enabled. So when you try to use it now, it's just a normal connection.

Checked the cables? And if the screen is fine with another gpu, i really think the gpu is broken.

Oh yea, does it get enough juice? What psu do you have?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Welcome to the forum! Don't forget to follow your own topics.

Oh yea, does it get enough juice? What psu do you have?

If he can run a 290 fine, his PSU will be able to handle a 980 :P

Check if everything is plugged in ok, nothing loose?

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Thanks for your swift reply. The ROG SWIFT monitor is fine, I re-checked this with my R9 290 over display port, thus cables are fine as well.

Updated the PSU in my original post, with 760 watts it should have more than enough juice.

I just can't believe to receive 2 broken GPU with exactly the same problem. There must be another issue?

Welcome to the forum! Don't forget to follow your own topics.

Check if everything is plugged in ok, nothing loose?

Thanks! Yes, the 980 sits where it should, additional power connected of course...

Make sure the GPU is seated properly, take it out and put it back in again. (This can be common don't worry and panic yet) Check and make sure that its getting power/the PCI-E cable is plugged into it. If you still get nothing plug the card into another PC and check it again.

My Rig- CPU: Phenom II X4 955 3.2@3.6ghz (OC) Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70 Ram: 2x4GB Patriot Viper 1333@1666Mhz (OC) Cooling: Corsair H55 liquid cooler (CPU), 3x120mm 3 speedTricool blue LED case fans (2 front 1 rear), 1x200mm 3 speed Tricool turbine (top)  PSU: Corsair CX600  GPU: XFX R9 270X 1050@1150 (OC) Storage: 1x60gb OCZ Vertex III (Boot) 1x500GB Western Digital Black (Storage) Keyboard: Roccat ISKU Alien FX Multicolor  Mouse: Roccat Cone Pure Multicolor  Headset: Logitech G430 Display: LG Flatron W2353V

ALSO. When you turn on the system do the fans on the card spin? If not then its simply just not getting power and that's your issue.

My Rig- CPU: Phenom II X4 955 3.2@3.6ghz (OC) Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70 Ram: 2x4GB Patriot Viper 1333@1666Mhz (OC) Cooling: Corsair H55 liquid cooler (CPU), 3x120mm 3 speedTricool blue LED case fans (2 front 1 rear), 1x200mm 3 speed Tricool turbine (top)  PSU: Corsair CX600  GPU: XFX R9 270X 1050@1150 (OC) Storage: 1x60gb OCZ Vertex III (Boot) 1x500GB Western Digital Black (Storage) Keyboard: Roccat ISKU Alien FX Multicolor  Mouse: Roccat Cone Pure Multicolor  Headset: Logitech G430 Display: LG Flatron W2353V

ALSO. When you turn on the system do the fans on the card spin? If not then its simply just not getting power and that's your issue.

It's a hydro copper GPU, coming with a waterblock directly from EVGA. Thus there are no fans. But the LED on the GPU are on.

As it's watercooled i unfortunately can't just plug it into another PC.

I'm sorry I should have read over the entire post instead of skimming I feel very stupid now. My bad. Could you take out your reservoir without too much BS, mock it up onto something and build a small loop with some extra tubing/fittings to another system beside yours, leaving the rad and pump where it is in your current system. Then at least you've have a test loop for down the road if and when this happens again. I know its kind of a useless half retarded suggestion but I just wanted to throw in another 2 cents as my last comment was obviously a penny short hahahahahahaha......ha..... I'm bad at jokes.

I'm sorry I should have read over the entire post instead of skimming I feel very stupid now. My bad. Could you take out your reservoir without too much BS, mock it up onto something and build a small loop with some extra tubing/fittings to another system beside yours, leaving the rad and pump where it is in your current system. Then at least you've have a test loop for down the road if and when this happens again. I know its kind of a useless half retarded suggestion but I just wanted to throw in another 2 cents as my last comment was obviously a penny short hahahahahahaha......ha..... I'm bad at jokes.

Lol, again, you need to stop skimming :P

If the LEDs on the GPU turn on, take not enough power off the potential causes list.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Yes yes I gathered that, but he could still test it in another system to see if he gets a picture/rule out it is indeed not the card itself.

Do you have any spare cables to plug in your GPU with? Maybe the connection isn't strong enough.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Hello guys!

I bought an EVGA 980 Hydro Cooper to upgrade from my AMD R9 290, mainly to use GSYNC with my ASUS ROG SWIFT. Now my Problem is that I just can't get an image on my monitor(s). Over DVI the monitor remains black, although there must be some sort of signal coming through, as the monitor displays DVI instead of "no signal". When connected through DisplayPort my ROG SWIFT shows a high frequency flickering, doesn't look healthy...

Beside this the PC seems to boot normally, no error codes on the MB. If i choose to use onboard GPU with disabled PCIE Win7 boots normally and the GTX980 even gets displayed in the device manager. The GPU and CPU are watercooled with a custom loop in a CM HAFX. Further specs:

ASUS P8Z77 V LX (latest bios update)

I7 3770K

Corsair 760 PSU

I can almost exclude to have a faulty GPU, as I already exchanged the first one with the same problem.

Ideas are highly appreciated!

try plugging it into different PCI Express Slot.

it has happened to me once. I changed Slot and it worked

==vFmdH1npbZ6PwRT2mQOGutuP3YBPHGvkcIeOximPMDcb7J4/0QDOrFIaXSrSE5DuEZ750w/PS5kLUjTDL3P+gjflJB7iUPDq7rgJTiZn2L5XK98dDMPYyfKrHVvvzkY0

Yes yes I gathered that, but he could still test it in another system to see if he gets a picture/rule out it is indeed not the card itself.

Unfortunately I don't have the materials to build a second loop outside my PC :/

I just re-ckecked everything. It really bothers me, I have years and years experience in building custom PC's, air and watercooled, and now I can't even replace a GPU... :-)

Do you have any spare cables to plug in your GPU with? Maybe the connection isn't strong enough.

Yep. Already tested.

try plugging it into different PCI Express Slot.

it has happened to me once. I changed Slot and it worked

This mainboard has only one PCIEx16, second one has less lines. And the slot works just fine with the R9 290.

I really feel like you aren't to blame here, I definitely got the impression that you knew what you were talking about. Do your due diligence, test what you can and try to find something to tell yourself that will give you some mental satisfaction (Like you've done what you could, its not your fault, etc etc). You wouldn't be blowing hot air up your ass in doing so. Its really not your fault. RMA it if you can otherwise sell it as-is on Ebay, someone will appreciate it. Its a shitty situation and I wish I could just magically teleport there with my test bench and help you but I cant unfortunately :(. It MAY be worth it to take it to someone though so they could test it for you. I would probably do that in your position if I couldn't test it completely myself. Because we both know, at least for me, that unless you can definitively say without a doubt that its what you think and not something else your going to keep wondering/not going to be at peace with the whole situation.

2ManyWords4OneQuote

I think he's being pretty calm :P

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Yes, pretty calm as I'm sitting in front of my no-longer-working PC, wonder why the f*** i have no display... ;-)

If even you experts in here don't have any ideas, I'll reinstall my R9 290 for now and return the $800 GTX980 tomorrow. For the second time.

There is always the possibility of it being DOA. Lights can flash and noises can be made, but that's often the case when something is dead. Return it and try again. I went through three DOA processors before I got one to finally work. 

Considering that everything with the exception of the GPU works just fine on my rig (peripherals included), it must be the second DOA card in a row.

One thing is sure: I will not try a third card from EVGA. It sucked already enough to bleed and fill my loop for 15 times... ;-)

Anyway - thanks for trying to help me out.

It might be worth trying to plug one of your monitors into the graphics outputs on your motherboard. Although I wouldn't expect it to have generated artifacting when connected to your graphics card, it's possible that your UEFI reverted to using the onboard graphics because it didn't recognise the new graphics card. If connecting via the motherboard seems to work, make sure that the UEFI is set to prefer the PCIE graphics card to the integrated graphics. If that is already the case, you could try booting into windows/linux and seeing whether your graphics card is being detected by the OS.

HTTP/2 203

It might be worth trying to plug one of your monitors into the graphics outputs on your motherboard. Although I wouldn't expect it to have generated artifacting when connected to your graphics card, it's possible that your UEFI reverted to using the onboard graphics because it didn't recognise the new graphics card. If connecting via the motherboard seems to work, make sure that the UEFI is set to prefer the PCIE graphics card to the integrated graphics. If that is already the case, you could try booting into windows/linux and seeing whether your graphics card is being detected by the OS.

Listen to the trusted advisor ;)

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

With the GTX 980 installed, if I set the UEFI entry to "Auto" or "PCIE", i have no signal on the mainboard output (thus iGPU deactivated?). If I set the entry to iGPU, i have a signal on the mainboard output and can boot Windows normally. The GPU is detected, it's listed in the device manager as a GTX 980.

With the GTX 980 installed, if I set the UEFI entry to "Auto" or "PCIE", i have no signal on the mainboard output (thus iGPU deactivated?). If I set the entry to iGPU, i have a signal on the mainboard output and can boot Windows normally. The GPU is detected, it's listed in the device manager as a GTX 980.

Weird. Assuming that everything is connected correctly, which I presume it is, I can't think of any other possible reasons for it not working. The card is obviously powering on correctly and identifying itself to the UEFI and to Windows, so the only reason that I can come up with for it not displaying the correct signal is that the card is broken I'm afraid, though it is incredibly unlikely for you to have got two DOA cards in a row (unless there's something weird with your system that's killing the cards somehow).

You could try contacting EVGA support to see whether they can suggest anything, but otherwise I'm afraid you might have another dead card to deal with.

HTTP/2 203