Are full towers even necessary anymore?

With so many options in the mid-tower market these days such as the Storm Scout 2 and Vengeance C70, is there still a need for full tower cases? Most people won't be using EATX motherboards, so I am simply asking this question in the context of consumers who have a regular sized motherboard and 1 or 2 graphics cards. In the old days a full tower was necessary for coolers like the D14 and H100, but these days most mid towers can fit loads of hardware in them. Wouldn't it be better to spend more money on the hardware inside rather than the case? What are your thoughts? Just wanted to start a small discussion on this :)

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

*cough*custom loop *cough*

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

It just seems to me like for the average consumer, having a huge case with a tiny motherboard inside would look kind of ridiculous, even if it was being watercooled (im speaking about single CPU loops or CPU+GPU, not triple SLI setups)

Full towers are for enthusiast people who wants custom watercooling and multi GPU set-ups 

I like full towers because I like the idea that no matter what I put in my tower whenever I can afford it, it will work. I like having overkill just for the reassurance that I know I have the power to do whatever whenever. 

Wit is educated insolence.

I have to agree with you, sure full towers might look great and offer more features, in the end a mid-tower is more than enough for everyday use & gaming.
I'm happy with my Vengance C70 ;) And to be honest, those massive case are kind of "too much" for my taste.

It depends. I personally never go back from high tower, I like the options etc.

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB

I have to agree with you, sure full towers might look great and offer more features, in the end a mid-tower is more than enough for everyday use & gaming.

I'm happy with my Vengance C70 ;) And to be honest, those massive case are kind of "too much" for my taste.

+1

Also, there's really no point having a huge case that you will literally never fill up. That's my one big issue with full towers. I've seen many beginners get cases like the HAF X or Corsair 800D for their first builds just because they think that they are going to magically have the money to throw 3 graphics cards in at some point in the future. Chances are if you can't afford something now, by the time you can afford it you will want something else.

show me a small case that's NOT a caselabs that are a smaller case that supports X2 360 rads.

caselabs are just too expensive

Id depends on your needs. If you're a gamer that will only have 1 or 2 GPUs and an AIO liquid cooler, then a small case will do. If you want a bit more expansion like the possibility of adding a sound card and a custom loop, a mid tower would do. If you want to do a completely overkill build with a big watercooling loop, you need a full tower.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

try fitting a hptx mobo in a mid tower...

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

yes they are necessary. if they weren't, mannies wouldn't spend the money to

have the produced. the reason most of the case mannies are here is because

of the diverse market and what consumers want or they think they have a better

mouse-trap idea about how a case looks, functions or can be used.

iTX has been around for a long-time, but since Bitfenix Prodigy came out, now it

is a "thing-to-have" build. as much chest-beating in large cases Corsair 900D now

trounces the market with a bigger splash with a bigger flagship case over the 800D.

not all peeps like corsair or their idea of case concept and venture for other mannies

to have a similar functional case.

so on the surface, it'd be easy to say "most" peeps want a mid case, but you are not

seeing or hearing about the industry as a whole. gamers do not want big cases, most

daily webbers don't want big cases, business owners using two or more don't want

big cases, but enthusiasts using big parts still want them, ask for them, and make them

even larger.

airdeano

caselabs are just too expensive

CaseLabs cases although seem expensive, the material they use, aluminum, is also

expensive compared to steel. and not being mass-manufactured (a lot hand made)

they tend to ask for a higher price tag. look at Lian-Li cases and tell me that ally cases

are not expensive and those are mass-produced.

another issue is export. shipping large, flat boxes makes it even more expensive.

and tariffs, fees, and BS charges doesn't help the cause. but CaseLabs seems to be

alright with the scheme of things as they are still kicking out cases and venturing out

even further to expand the line.

airdeano

i like mid towers much more cuz if you buy a full tower case the mobo in it and the components look so small and case looks empty only time i used a full tower case was when i did my custom loop if not water cooling i think mid-towers are way better

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

It all depends on personal use.  Some are enthusiasts and some are casual or hardcore gamers. 

I used to run 2x gpu and a huge Noctual cooler in my full tower. 

I also had tons of HDDs (around 8) that I pretty much don't like letting it sit around. 

This is me now: 8x HDDs (varies from 320gb to 1.5gb), 2x SSDs, 1x 79xx gpu card, C14 "Hamburger" CPU cooler, 1x ODD, and 8x 120mm fans.

When I was shopping around, only way to have ample cooling and room for all the cables, full tower was optimal for me.

Now.. with mid towers being made slightly bigger with better cable routing, multiple fan mount points, and multiple HDD bays.. I'm going to move my innards to a mid tower case shortly (Waiting for FD R5..)

Either way, it depends on personal use.  There is no "BEST" case solution in my honest opinion.  Do what you gotta do to make your PC user days better. :)