hifi headphones for gaming

sypherian
Go to solution Solved by Acquire,

Given that I'm something of an audio noob, I'd appreciate if you could take the time to explain how this works.

Don't know the details specifically, but I have personal experience with high impedance beyerdynamic headphones. I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm, which I use for work.  Plugging them directly into my work laptop or my phone I get low volume out of them at the device's maximum volume.  With my FiiO E12 Mont Blanc on the no gain setting I also don't get enough volume.  I have to almost max out the volume on it to get it to listening levels.  On it's high gain setting it works fine.  I also briefly owned a pair of Beyerdynamic T1s, which have 600 Ohm impedance.  I could barely hear anything when plugged directly into my phone at max volume.  On the other side is my Audeze LCD-2.  They have an impedance of 50 Ohms, but plugging them directly into my phone I have to set the volume at max to get them to listening volume.  For the short time I had Hifiman HE-560s (also 50 Ohm), max volume on my phone wouldn't generate enough volume.  These two headphones are planar magnetic headphones and require a lot more current to get them sounding properly.  My Schiit Lyr was able to drive them everything just fine.

The gist is, higher impedance is going to require some kind of amp because at the very least you won't get enough volume out of them.  However, low impedance doesn't immediately mean it'll sound fine from any source if the headphones end up requiring a lot of current.

In case of the Beyerdynamic headphones it is true that the higher impedance modells are technically better. The only difference is that the lower impedance models use thicker wires in the voice coil, this makes the membrane heavier on the low impedance models. 

This is also true.  I have heard the DT 770 80 Ohm and they sound different.  They have a lot more bass for some reason.  I haven't heard the other ones, but if you google them there seems to be a consensus that they all do sound differently.

If you don't want to carry around an amp with you, you'll want the lower impedance ones.

Don't know the details specifically, but I have personal experience with high impedance beyerdynamic headphones. I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm, which I use for work.  Plugging them directly into my work laptop or my phone I get low volume out of them at the device's maximum volume.  With my FiiO E12 Mont Blanc on the no gain setting I also don't get enough volume.  I have to almost max out the volume on it to get it to listening levels.  On it's high gain setting it works fine.  I also briefly owned a pair of Beyerdynamic T1s, which have 600 Ohm impedance.  I could barely hear anything when plugged directly into my phone at max volume.  On the other side is my Audeze LCD-2.  They have an impedance of 50 Ohms, but plugging them directly into my phone I have to set the volume at max to get them to listening volume.  For the short time I had Hifiman HE-560s (also 50 Ohm), max volume on my phone wouldn't generate enough volume.  These two headphones are planar magnetic headphones and require a lot more current to get them sounding properly.  My Schiit Lyr was able to drive them everything just fine.

The gist is, higher impedance is going to require some kind of amp because at the very least you won't get enough volume out of them.  However, low impedance doesn't immediately mean it'll sound fine from any source if the headphones end up requiring a lot of current.

This is also true.  I have heard the DT 770 80 Ohm and they sound different.  They have a lot more bass for some reason.  I haven't heard the other ones, but if you google them there seems to be a consensus that they all do sound differently.

If you don't want to carry around an amp with you, you'll want the lower impedance ones.

Impedance is not the only variable, and arguably the least important. "The higher impedance headphones are going to be harder to drive." is only true for certain comparisons, but falls apart when you make certain other comparisons. Read The Impedance Ballad for more learns.

Correlation is not equal to causation.

Impedance is not the only variable, and arguably the least important. "The higher impedance headphones are going to be harder to drive." is only true for certain comparisons, but falls apart when you make certain other comparisons. Read The Impedance Ballad for more learns.

Correlation is not equal to causation.

THX for this post this at least made me a bit wiser on the world of headphones 

I would personally say Audio Technica !

I was using Beyerdynamics DT 990 and when i switch to Audi Technica i saw the difference that one head set can offer.

I would personally say Audio Technica !

I was using Beyerdynamics DT 990 and when i switch to Audi Technica i saw the difference that one head set can offer.

What AT headset do you have??

I initially started to look at analog surround headsets but a work buddy of mine who is a bit of an audiophile convinced me to go for a pair of high end headphones instead so after doing a bit of research I've come up with two different pair of cans that is highly praised for gaming.

Audio-technica ATH-A900X and Beyerdynamics DT 990 edition (not the pro edition)

First of all I need some guidance as to which one to choose maybe if someone has experience with one of these if I'm lucky maybe even both.

secondly the DT 990 comes in a 32, 250 and 600 ohms impedance, from what I could gather it would be preferable to choose a higher impedance to get better sound but the ones above 32 ohm will require a headphone amplifier for me to be able to use them adequately.

I'm treading new waters here and I can see the cost being up there if I have to acquire a headphone amplifier and maybe even a DAC, so what ever help and information you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Sypherian 

The MMX300 are a nice headset, I don't have anything to compare them too but they are the best headphones I've ever used and they are super comfy as well, I pretty much forget that I am wearing them.  The only downside I can see with them is the mic swivel as it is definitely the week point, I've only had mine for a little over a year and the cable connecting to the swivel has developed a short.  Aside from that issue the mic is really high quality it sound great.  Another member recently did a review on them in the member review section of the forum, so check that out.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

The MMX300 are a nice headset, I don't have anything to compare them too but they are the best headphones I've ever used and they are super comfy as well, I pretty much forget that I am wearing them.  The only downside I can see with them is the mic swivel as it is definitely the week point, I've only had mine for a little over a year and the cable connecting to the swivel has developed a short.  Aside from that issue the mic is really high quality it sound great.  Another member recently did a review on them in the member review section of the forum, so check that out.

I was trying to find out what pair of cans the MX 300 is build after, after some digging I found out that it is the DT 770 but paying 130 euro extra just for a mic and a other design (that is the only difference between MX 300 and DT 770 as far as I've been able to find out) seems pretty much overkill. Buying the DT 770 in for example the 250 ohm version and buying a mod mic (or table mic like the yeti) will still be cheaper. 

I found a store about 4 hours of travel away from where I'm living and they have DT 770, 880 and 990 as well as AT, shure and Sennheiser I have some vacation coming up so why not make a day out of it and test some of these beauties.

I was trying to find out what pair of cans the MX 300 is build after, after some digging I found out that it is the DT 770 but paying 130 euro extra just for a mic and a other design (that is the only difference between MX 300 and DT 770 as far as I've been able to find out) seems pretty much overkill. Buying the DT 770 in for example the 250 ohm version and buying a mod mic (or table mic like the yeti) will still be cheaper. 

I found a store about 4 hours of travel away from where I'm living and they have DT 770, 880 and 990 as well as AT, shure and Sennheiser I have some vacation coming up so why not make a day out of it and test some of these beauties.

Well I guess that's depends on where you live.  For me Dt770s are barely cheaper and when you add in a mic end up costing more then I paided for my MMX300s.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

That's a long way to go just to test headphones. Do you live in a rural area?

That's a long way to go just to test headphones. Do you live in a rural area?

I think it is more the fact that it is in Denmark, only a few physical stores actually has these the rest of them is web based stores I could ofc just order them and try them out but since they have some burn in time and so on I would barely get them to their true performance.

Well I guess that's depends on where you live.  For me Dt770s are barely cheaper and when you add in a mic end up costing more then I paided for my MMX300s.

I can see your reasoning and I would agree with you but here in Denmark the MX 300 costs 300 euros, the store where i can get DT 770 and the DT 880 is about 140 euros so that is double the price :-)

Thanks to everyone who helped out I've decided to get the Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro 250 ohm version, I'll be picking them up this weekend and looking forward to use them.