Background process accessing my mechanical storage drive keeps pausing GTA V

It's only just started happening.

I've got an i3 and 8GB of RAM so I guess it's possible that I just don't have the overhead to support whatever process it is (possibly AVG? scanning the drive) but up until now it's been fine.

I'm not sure what to do.

Is there a way to find out what's doing it?

Otherwise I'm just going to have to physically pull the drive.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

It's only just started happening.

I've got an i3 and 8GB of RAM so I guess it's possible that I just don't have the overhead to support whatever process it is (possibly AVG? scanning the drive) but up until now it's been fine.

I'm not sure what to do.

Is there a way to find out what's doing it?

Otherwise I'm just going to have to physically pull the drive.

Have you tried to disable your AV software?

Have you tried to disable your AV software?

I was thinking that (and probably will give that a try) it's just it's been okay up until now. :0/

It started since I installed AVG PC TuneUp, so I'm going to try uninstalling that and then I guess I'll try deactivating  AVG (I'm not sure how often it's set to scan so it's possible it might have only just got around to my storage drive)?

Not really sure but, I'll probably end up installing a hot-swap hard-drive bay I've got here. Not sure if my motherboard actually supports HD Hot-Swap but even so, I'm just marathoning GTAV right now so it probably wouldn't be a huge deal but it would be nice to trace whatever it is that's doing it).

I ran Spybot search and destroy but all it found were tracking cookies. :0/

It's actually been a while since the drive was accessed (I can hear it from where I'm seated), so maybe it'll be okay now? It's just a pain :0/

I have a backup software that's scheduled to run every evening. Every time it kicks in it brings up the GTA 5 pause menu.

Dude I feel for you  :P  :D

Mines not that drastic, it just freezes the action for a second or so every four or five seconds but it's really really annoying. X0D

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2