Haven't built a rig in 15 years

Killerz187

Seriously, it's been an age since I've tinkered with a tower. Last time I was into one, my beast had a P4, 512mb of RAM(I tried to download more but it didn't work) and a whopping 96mb VRAM. I'm now looking to build a system to run anything and everything maxed out. As of right now, I'll be gaming on a 42" 1080p Tv, but when I move out, I'll have more space for a proper monitor setup, in the range of a 1440p G-sync deal. In addition to the gaming, the rig will also be doing Seti@home/Boinc/Folding@home etc. For the time being, I will be needing to use Wi-Fi in the room where I will be gaming, but in my apartment I'll be running a hard-line obviously. I'll be needing a recommendation for a Wi-Fi card to get, I also have Wi-Fi range extenders peppered throughout the upstairs, so signal is strong.

Budget is ~1500 USD. I can get my OS for 25$ So I didn't include it in the parts list. I would also like recommendations for a good KB and Mouse,

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($279.99 @ Micro Center) 

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($118.99 @ Amazon) 

Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card  ($549.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ NCIX US)  <---- Kind of unsure about the case

Total: $1505.82

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-22 22:13 EDT-0400

My budget can go up without much issue, but this is what I have. Any suggestions as to what to change? Any newbie mistakes? I've been out of the game for a long time, though I've done some research. Any input appreciated, Thanks :)

Seriously, it's been an age since I've tinkered with a tower. Last time I was into one, my beast had a P4, 512mb of RAM(I tried to download more but it didn't work) and a whopping 96mb VRAM. I'm now looking to build a system to run anything and everything maxed out. As of right now, I'll be gaming on a 42" 1080p Tv, but when I move out, I'll have more space for a proper monitor setup, in the range of a 1440p G-sync deal. In addition to the gaming, the rig will also be doing Seti@home/Boinc/Folding@home etc. For the time being, I will be needing to use Wi-Fi in the room where I will be gaming, but in my apartment I'll be running a hard-line obviously. I'll be needing a recommendation for a Wi-Fi card to get, I also have Wi-Fi range extenders peppered throughout the upstairs, so signal is strong.

Budget is ~1500 USD. I can get my OS for 25$ So I didn't include it in the parts list. I would also like recommendations for a good KB and Mouse,

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($279.99 @ Micro Center) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($118.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card  ($549.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ NCIX US)  <---- Kind of unsure about the case
Total: $1505.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-22 22:13 EDT-0400

My budget can go up without much issue, but this is what I have. Any suggestions as to what to change? Any newbie mistakes? I've been out of the game for a long time, though I've done some research. Any input appreciated, Thanks :)

That looks spot on, nice build. Though if I remember correctly the H100I has mounting issues with LGA1150. (BTW, I was in a similar position before building my main rig, my previous desktop had a Pentium III 667EB, 256MB RAM, 32MB vRAM and an 8GB HDD).

Edit: these are good wifi cards

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WDN4800-Wireless-Express-Low-profile/dp/B007GMPZ0A/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1429755843&sr=1-1&keywords=wifi+card

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WN881ND-Wireless-Express-Low-profile/dp/B0079XWMEI/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1429755843&sr=1-2&keywords=wifi+card

^I have this one

As for the mouse and keyboard I wouldn't know, I'm back on my originals after my wireless set died.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

for wireless  I have a Qualcomm Atheros AR938x Wireless Network Adapter   pcie card. and it works like a charm

other than that the build looks solid.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

This is a very solid build.  I wouldn't change anything about it if you're happy with the aesthetics it will provide.  As far as the case goes, maybe consider a Define R4 or R5, or the NZXT H440.  They are sweet cases if you're not set on the carbide.

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

Though if I remember correctly the H100I has mounting issues with LGA1150.

GTX doesn't have those issues

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

If you're doing anything serious and maybe plan to do in home streaming or nvidia gamestream with a shield or something, I HIGHLY suggest getting the Intel Wireless AC7260 for Desktop, I have it and LOVE IT

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Yea, I'm definitely not set on the case just yet, but I definitely don't want anything too flashy. I'll be honest, my first build sheet was full of unnecessary bling stuff, so I'm glad I didn't post that one lol.

In terms of peripherals, what are some solid keyboards? I've been reading about the K series corsair ones, but I don't need something super complicated. Definitely don't want to cheap out on stuff, would rather get quality even if I have to pay a little premium. 

Yea, I'm definitely not set on the case just yet, but I definitely don't want anything too flashy. I'll be honest, my first build sheet was full of unnecessary bling stuff, so I'm glad I didn't post that one lol.

In terms of peripherals, what are some solid keyboards? I've been reading about the K series corsair ones, but I don't need something super complicated. Definitely don't want to cheap out on stuff, would rather get quality even if I have to pay a little premium. 

Well the keyboards with the best quality are the ones being remade after IBM's model M, those things just won't die.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL