4K 49" TV as monitor

ChineseChef

So my friend got a 4k TV, and uses it as a monitor.  He says it looks amazing, and has tried CS:GO, DA:Inquisition, War Game:Red Dragon, and some other misc games.  All seem to look great and don't have any weird ghosting that you sometimes get from TVs.

I really like the idea of having more screen real estate with 4K, but don't have any interest in a tiny 27" 4K screen.  But I have seen his desktop, and he is able to fit so much, it seems like quiet the nicety.

The TV is 4k, at 60hz (which is plenty for me).  And costs roughly $500.

http://www.sceptre.com/spec-237.html

Does anyone see or know of any real visual problems with using a TV instead of a monitor?  I know plasmas used to have problems, but that is a thing of the past.

I ask this, while I currently use a low/medium quality 1920x1200 monitor.

So my friend got a 4k TV, and uses it as a monitor.  He says it looks amazing, and has tried CS:GO, DA:Inquisition, War Game:Red Dragon, and some other misc games.  All seem to look great and don't have any weird ghosting that you sometimes get from TVs.

I really like the idea of having more screen real estate with 4K, but don't have any interest in a tiny 27" 4K screen.  But I have seen his desktop, and he is able to fit so much, it seems like quiet the nicety.

The TV is 4k, at 60hz (which is plenty for me).  And costs roughly $500.

http://www.sceptre.com/spec-237.html

Does anyone see or know of any real visual problems with using a TV instead of a monitor?  I know plasmas used to have problems, but that is a thing of the past.

I ask this, while I currently use a low/medium quality 1920x1200 monitor.

The main concern would be the input lag. I don't find the details on the website or maybe I overlooked. Anyway, just send them an email asking for whats the input lag time like. If it's 8ms or less then should not be an issue.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

SNIP

input lag will be an issue, will be around a couple of frames worth a second normally for TVs

also if you are using as a monitor (ie sitting close to it on your desk) expect a bit of neck and eye strain as its too large to see the entire display without moving your head constantly

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The eye strain I hadn't thought of, but I will have to look into the input lag.

Thanks for the responses.