Trying to choose between the R9 280 and the GTX 960. Those two only. What do you pick and why? I play everythign from GTA 5 to Arma 3. More Inside

cab11150904

I'm running a 4790k on 8 gigs of RAM so I should be able to keep up with either card as far as processing goes.  

R9 280 for sure, both games are VRAM hogs (rightfully so since the game worlds are so big)

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

id go with the 280, especially with the 300 series around the corner, the prices will likely drop and a second one to run Xfire will be less expensive

2operator4u

2014-10-25_00001.jpg

The 960 doesn't seem like a bad card.

GW2: Vettexl.9726

It kind of depends on what you are doing. AMD cards will output more heat and consume more power for the performance you get in games, but they work better for compute tasks like rendering and cryptocurrency mining.

If you have good airflow in your case and a decent power supply the 280 is probably the better choice, especially if you do any rendering. And, with the rumors of the performance gains that Direct X 12 will bring to the table, especially in AMD cards, and the already widespread adoption of freesync (and more supported monitors coming out very quickly), the 280 is a solid choice.

If you have a more restrictive case with less airflow, a weaker power supply, already have a gsync monitor, and/or you don't do a lot of compute based tasks, the 960 is a quieter, cooler, much more power efficient card that trades blows with the 280 in games.

Personally I would go with the 280 due to the reasons I already stated, but if silence and low heat output are more important to you than performance outside of games, the 960 would be better.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

280 for sure...

Reasons...

Errr... More VRAM (I'm going from memory) and more powerful.

As powerful as a 770, and as a owner of a 770. Its going to impress you.

You are actually talking about a 280x

-GTX 960 is more power efficient and GPU runs much cooler than 280. If you are overclocking, 960 has greater potential.

-960 fully support Directx 12

-3GB Vram and wider bus is useful if gaming in 1440P or using mods. But if you are gaming 1080p or below, 2GB is sufficient

-Nvidia drivers support is usually better than AMD

My recommendation is GTX 960. Much better if you can buy 4GB version.

I'd go for a 960 4gb.

It's a much newer architecture (280 architecture is from 2012) which means cooler and quieter operation, better feature support and (if 4gb card) more vram. It has shadowplay, gpu boost, no fan rotation when no 3d rendering is required, much better overclocking potential, better game support (from my experience), etc.

Either a 4gb 960 or a 280. I wouldn't go for a 2gb 960.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case