PC doesnt detect any ram

MrNessalk

My friend has a Dell XPS studio 9100 which should have 6gb of memory installed. But when he goes to task manager it only says 4GB. So he busted open his pc to try and test his ram to see which one is at fault. The memory is in 3x2gb triple channel set up and when he took out each piece of ram and put one in to test, the computer didnt recognize it and made 2 beeps. He tried almost every combination of ram but every time he powered on he got 2 beeps on startup.

The mobo is an intel x58 chipset with a core i7-930 and a geforece g310 gpu with 3x2gb sticks of ram

how could it be that after taking out the ram and replacing them that all the modules are broken? is it a mobo problem?

My friend has a Dell XPS studio 9100 which should have 6gb of memory installed. But when he goes to task manager it only says 4GB. So he busted open his pc to try and test his ram to see which one is at fault. The memory is in 3x2gb triple channel set up and when he took out each piece of ram and put one in to test, the computer didnt recognize it and made 2 beeps. He tried almost every combination of ram but every time he powered on he got 2 beeps on startup.

The mobo is an intel x58 chipset with a core i7-930 and a geforece g310 gpu with 3x2gb sticks of ram

how could it be that after taking out the ram and replacing them that all the modules are broken? is it a mobo problem?

Does the pc have a 64bit os? because a 32bit os can only use 4gb of ram

| Corsair Carbide 400Q | Intel Core i5 6600K | ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB |

| EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW+ ACX 2.0 SLI | Noctua NH-L9i | Corsair RM650X | HyperX Fury 240 GB | Seagate Barracuda 2 TB |

Steam: zonetrooper90 | PSN: zonetrooper90 | NNID: zonetrooper90 |

Much like Zone said above he has to have a 64 bit OS. In order to use more than 4GB

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Does the pc have a 64bit os? because a 32bit os can only use 4gb of ram

Much like Zone said above he has to have a 64 bit OS. In order to use more than 4GB

yes, the operating system is 64bit, the computer came prebuilt so it wouldnt make sense for dell to build a pc with 6gb of ram and install a 32bit os

yes, the operating system is 64bit, the computer came prebuilt so it wouldnt make sense for dell to build a pc with 6gb of ram and install a 32bit os

swap the RAM to each DIMMS and see if the system could boot

otherwise i am looking at faulty DIMM slots

time to junk that mobo and find another X58 mobo

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Double check the ram is seated properly, and as above, try each dimm with each ram to check for faults.