Beware the Acer (Predator XB270HU) monitor

silenthill_69

Beware this new monitor from Acer (Predator XB270HU) terrible backlight bleed & dead pixels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV3a6jAV4ZQ&feature=youtu.be

Just because you have a faulty monitor does not mean that every monitor they make will be like that

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

For a start, everybody knows this already. The dead pixels are your monitor being faulty but the monitor does have backlight bleed. However it's not that major. If you're looking at any of the G-Sync panels that have glossy edges, they seem to have a slight backlight bleed. It's not even that noticeable. You can only see it if you look for it. In games and general use you can't notice it. If anything you see the glossy reflection more than the bleed.

Professional Graphics Designer | Case: NZXT Phantom Orange and Black | Motherboard: MSI SLI PLUS X99S

CPU: Intel i7 5820K | Graphics Card: Zotac nVidia 1080 AMP!

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB, Western Digital Black 3TB & Western Digital Red 3TB | 

Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HU 27", Acer Predator XB270HAbprz 27" and BenQ GL240 24" | PSU: Corsair AX860i |

The backlight bleed is perfectly normal, most IPS monitors have around the same level of it. Mine actually seems better than usual. If you have dead pixels then that is a warranty problem, this shit happens.

I do get a little annoyed when people dismiss an entire product line (or even brand) based on incidental and anecdotal evidence.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

The backlight bleed is perfectly normal, most IPS monitors have around the same level of it. Mine actually seems better than usual. If you have dead pixels then that is a warranty problem, this shit happens.

I do get a little annoyed when people dismiss an entire product line (or even brand) based on incidental and anecdotal evidence.

not for the money they are asking for it, no no I'm going to wait for the same specs from other brands even if it's another year

I5 3570K@ 4.4 - GIGABYTE Z77- Kingston 8G 2400 RAM - MSI GTX980 - HAF-X - 27'' ROG SWIFT + 32'' LG IPS - OCZ 250G SSD + WD 4TB HDD - ASUS XONAR DX -Noctua NH-D14

not for the money they are asking for it, no no I'm going to wait for the same specs from other brands even if it's another year

Backlight bleed is a thing with IPS panels, it is always going to be there. There is no rational reason to expect a manufacturer to be able to eliminate it.

As for dead pixels, that is one of the most common manufacturing problems with LCD panels and ALSO impossible to totally prevent. Even high end monitors have a certain allowance for stuck or dead pixel count, even sub-pixels are specified. If the panel you recieve does not fall within these parameters you can usually RMA it.

I really don't see what the price has to do with this either, defects happen no matter the price of the product. I'm not saying you have to buy this thing, but I think it's quite unfair to put this on Acer like there's some sort of freak percentage of defects going on.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

This display does seem to be having some major quality control issues if you read around various message boards. It could just be it is scrutinized a lot more though do to the high price tag.

According to users of the german forum HardwareLuxx, there are indeed "issues" with the XB270HU.

They made a poll, but only 13 users have participated yet.

8 say they have either no issues at all, or small issues that are not distracting, like minor backlight bleed (including myself).

5 say they have issues with backlight bleed and/or dead pixels, being very noticable and distracting.

Of course, all this is highly subjective... I think it should not stop anyone from buying the XB270HU, because it's still a great piece of hardware overall. If it's really too bad (i.e. if you have dead pixels, or very strong backlight bleed), just return it.

MSI Z77A-GD55 | Core i7-3770K @ 4.2 GHz (Noctua NH-D14) | Zotac GTX 980 @ 1.4 GHz (Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme IV) | 16 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 | 120 GB Samsung 840 SSD | 1 TB Seagate HDD | Lian Li PC-9F

Mine has 1 dead pixel and light backlight bleed in the bottom right corner and i'm completely fine with it. I only noticed this issues because I went looking for them. I have never noticed either in game so it's fine. The monitor is amazing though, my games look so so much better in 1440P and smooth as hell. I never realized how beautiful D3 was with all the colors until I got this monitor.

This display does seem to be having some major quality control issues if you read around various message boards. It could just be it is scrutinized a lot more though do to the high price tag.

Yeah, people tend to expect perfection on high ticket products. It's also due to the high price nature of the product that a larger portion of buyers are going to be enthusiasts which are active on forums. And of course it's that combined with the tendency to shout louder when you're unsatisfied...

According to users of the german forum HardwareLuxx, there are indeed "issues" with the XB270HU.

They made a poll, but only 13 users have participated yet.

8 say they have either no issues at all, or small issues that are not distracting, like minor backlight bleed (including myself).

5 say they have issues with backlight bleed and/or dead pixels, being very noticable and distracting.

Of course, all this is highly subjective... I think it should not stop anyone from buying the XB270HU, because it's still a great piece of hardware overall. If it's really too bad (i.e. if you have dead pixels, or very strong backlight bleed), just return it.

13 is not enough of a sample size to say anything at all, especially since people are much more likely to be voting when they do have issues. If people don't have issues, they don't go Googling around to find out more about QC issues and how many other people have them. They only do that and find these threads and polls when they have issues themselves.

And ALL LCDs have backlight bleed to some extent... If you put a black image and turn off the lights, and can still see a glowing rectangle in the room, that's backlight bleed. It's inherent to LCDs so complaining about any backlight bleed at all is silly. The question is whether it's excessive or unbalanced or not.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people are aware of this issue. I saw the reviews on Newegg and it seems like roughly 1/3 are having issues with severe backlight bleed and/or dead pixels.

Thankfully, I have minimal backlight bleed on bottom right and no dead pixels so it's a keeper.

CASE - CM Storm Stryker, PSU - EVGA 1000 P2 80+ Plat, CPU - i7 4790K w/ NZXT Kraken X61, GPU - MSI GTX 1080 TI Seahawk X, MB - ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII, RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaw X Series (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600, SSD - SAMSUNG 1 TB, DISPLAY - ACER XB270HU + SAMSUNG S24C570HL

Yeah, people tend to expect perfection on high ticket products. It's also due to the high price nature of the product that a larger portion of buyers are going to be enthusiasts which are active on forums. And of course it's that combined with the tendency to shout louder when you're unsatisfied...

13 is not enough of a sample size to say anything at all, especially since people are much more likely to be voting when they do have issues. If people don't have issues, they don't go Googling around to find out more about QC issues and how many other people have them. They only do that and find these threads and polls when they have issues themselves.

And ALL LCDs have backlight bleed to some extent... If you put a black image and turn off the lights, and can still see a glowing rectangle in the room, that's backlight bleed. It's inherent to LCDs so complaining about any backlight bleed at all is silly. The question is whether it's excessive or unbalanced or not.

you just don't get it Acer is a cheep company trying to play with the cool kids

I5 3570K@ 4.4 - GIGABYTE Z77- Kingston 8G 2400 RAM - MSI GTX980 - HAF-X - 27'' ROG SWIFT + 32'' LG IPS - OCZ 250G SSD + WD 4TB HDD - ASUS XONAR DX -Noctua NH-D14

They said the same thing about the Asus ROG Swift. All products have the potential for issues. It is what it is.

| Intel 5820K OC'd 4.6Ghz (Swifttech H320 X2) | Asus x99 Deluxe w/ USB 3.1 | 32GB Corsair DDR4 Ram | 2 Nvidia GTX 980ti Classified's | 250gb Samsung EVO SSD OS Drive | 128GB Samsung SSD Cache Drive | 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 2TB & 4TB Western Digital HDD | Corsair K70 Keyboard | Beyerdynamic 990 Pro 250 | ASUS 27" ROG Swift

My XB270HU is perfect. Only a tiny bit of backlight bleed in the bottom right hand corner which is just noticeable when it's dark and no dead pixels. Quality is amazing, performance is just incredible and G-sync is something you can't go back from after using it lol.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

you just don't get it Acer is a cheep company trying to play with the cool kids

You sound like those stupid Apple ads:

Nearly every monitor has bad quality control even from Dell who have been doing it for so long there occasionally release displays that have major issues. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

• 2 months later...

I have the xb270hu since yesterday and tested it.

I have i tiny bit of BLB in the lower right corner, almost not to see. No Dead Pixels and no Dustspots. The Displayitself is realy great. But the Quality of the buttons with the power LED is realy bad for a 800€ Monitor.

Overall i would say its a grat upgrade from 1080p TN Panel.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO