GTX980 VS R9295X2

Blackwldow

Hi everyone, 

i've been checking some websites lately and as i appears the R9295X2 cost almost the same as a single GTX980. (Of course the GTX980 use less power that the R9).

Since am going to upgrade from a GTX680 to a new graphics card, i was wondering if a GTX980 would be a great choice ?

Thanks a lot !

Unless you want anything specific to Nvidia, I would go with the 295x2 (as long as you could power it).

The 980 doesn't have any problems, while you may have some issues with the dual GPU config in the 295x2.

Sig under construction.

295x2 

i'm still so surprised at the price they go for and the fact it beats out a titan x and you could buy 2 for the price of a titan x (ik ik dual gpu)

the R9 295x2 wins here but thats due to it being a 2 in one card so its power draw is greater so a PSU upgrade might be in order but then if your going 980 that might be a requirement anyways

295x2 

i'm still so surprised at the price they go for and the fact it beats out a titan x and you could buy 2 for the price of a titan x (ik ik dual gpu)

Yeah, if you look on Amazon UK these days:

lyNSLu4.png

Sig under construction.

Is a 1000w Corsair PSU enough for a R9 295X2 + i5 3570k @ 4.2Ghz ?

The 295X2 makes as much sense as getting 2x 970s or 290Xs. If you're OK with running crossfire, it's a very powerful config, but most users prefer the more powerful single card.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Since two GTX 970 are more powerful than a single GTX980, i think it's better to get a single R9 295X2. In terms of budget, i have around 800€ to spend (Graphic card + PSU).

However, since i have an old socket (i5 3570k), upgrading to two GTX970 will force me to change my motherboard (in order to support two graphics cards). So maybe it's better for me to get a single R9 295X2 ?

I haven't made my choice yet. So, is it better to get an R9 295X2 and enjoy the latest game at max settings (GTA V, The Witcher 3 and AC unity) ? or get a single GTX980 ? 

P.S.: Since am a student, my rigs isn't at home, i can only play video games during holiday (spring break and summer).

Thanks

If you go with a 295X get a single rail power supply with massive amps on the 12V. That thing goes beyond ATX specifications and can draw 500+ watts from outlets that were designed for 375W max (2x150W 8pin and 75W PCI-E). Make sure it has thick wiregauges aswell.

i have a haf 932 Advanced (Full tower) so i should have the space for the R9 295X2. For the power supply, i was thinking about the seasonic X-1050 80+ Gold or the Be Quiet 1200W Dark Power 80+Gold. Are they good ? 

The BeQuiet is multirail. I'd not go with a multirail PSU for that behemoth of a card.

I don't see the appeal of the 295X though. It's a ludicrous card that has near-overheating VRM's (105+C) and out-of-spec powerdraw.

It looks nice on paper, but I think it's a piece of shit in practice. 970 VRAMGATE is peanuts compared to the things that are hidden within the 295X, but we don't talk about those because poor AMD.

Check this out;

So what PSU are you advising me to get ? 

The video seems to be a bit scary :S (105 on the VRAM module is a bit high !)

Yeah, if you look on Amazon UK these days:

lyNSLu4.png

295x2 is expensive on amazon compared to SCAN and OCUK

Since am in France, i'll buy it from Materiel.net. There, it costs around 670€ (around the same price for two GTX 970).

For games like GTA V and the witcher 3 (in 1080p resolution), is it a great GPU ? What PSU should i get