Learning java, where do I start?

Panda Bruv

next year I am taking the highest level java course my high school offers and I have virtually 0 past experience with java. So, I need to teach myself background information on it and need to know what to do, where to start and if anyone knows someone who could help me. thanks for any help you can give me.

i really like w3schools.com for stuff like this. Its well organized, and has everything from the basics up to some of the more complicated stuff.

My Timewaster: i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz 1.19v, Asus P8Z77-V, Noctua NH-D14, Sapphire Radeon HD 7850, 16 GB Corsair Vengance, 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, HAF 912, Logitech G710+, G700

Is it AP Computer Science? Check out this website, it walks you through tutorials on how to code in java. You type the code in the browser and it runs it. It even has an AP section. http://codingbat.com/java

Another good resource is thenewboston on YouTube's Java Tutorial. Here is a link to video 1:

He does a very good job of explaining the basics of java.

If you are taking AP, don't worry, you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. It's not a class that requires previous coding knowledge, and the practice test that we took last semester was easy enough. If you're a logical person, Java is very straightforward though it does have its quirks.

Also, the BEST IDE I've used is IntelliJ Idea Community Edition. If you google it, I'm sure you can find it. Most videos, such as the one I linked, are going to explain eclipse, which is also good. I recommend using eclipse until you understand what you're doing enough to move up to IntelliJ.

Good luck!!!

• 2 weeks later...

So, you're saying that I don't need to learn anything before this class?

I used to learn from book "Thinking in java 4th edition". Everything was covered quite detailed in that book