Paragon Migrate question

dima_

So I got a nifty new SSD to migrate my Windows OS to. I don't want to lose everything on my HDD, so I like the idea of Paragon's Migrate OS to SSD program. The thing is, it'll try to copy all the data from your HDD to your SSD - you have to manually select what folders to copy. What folders should I be copying just for the OS? The necessities? I just want my PC to boot up faster.

(OOC) [Legend] Vladimir Makaroni: is smelling meth with my new oculus rift a valid reason to warrant a meth lab

you should not clone an OS to an SSD

it will cause tons of problems in the future

the safest way is to take your time, dont be lazy, and do a proper clean install.

install windows to the SSD with your HDD unplugged

once you have windows on the SSD, boot into the SSD but with the hard drive plugged in

then drag your files over to the SSD (only files like documents, pictures, etc... NOT programs)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

you should not clone an OS to an SSD

it will cause tons of problems in the future

the safest way is to take your time, dont be lazy, and do a proper clean install.

install windows to the SSD with your HDD unplugged

once you have windows on the SSD, boot into the SSD but with the hard drive plugged in

then drag your files over to the SSD (only files like documents, pictures, etc... NOT programs)

What sort of problems?

Edit: Can somebody answer my question, though? I can take a screenshot of my options, if you want. I need to know what folders in my HDD I need to select for cloning.

(OOC) [Legend] Vladimir Makaroni: is smelling meth with my new oculus rift a valid reason to warrant a meth lab

I would just do a clean install. Its not worth the headache to even get a cloned os working. Just do a clean install and just copy over the data you need from the other hdd.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I would just do a clean install. Its not worth the headache to even get a cloned os working. Just do a clean install and just copy over the data you need from the other hdd.

Thanks for not answering my question and being the second person on this thread to warn me about it.

What sort of problems?

Edit: Can somebody answer my question, though? I can take a screenshot of my options, if you want. I need to know what folders in my HDD I need to select for cloning.

system hangs, disk usage spikes, lag spikes (which will affect games too), problems running certain programs, BSODs, and also a few cases of the computer just refusing to boot into windows

thats what ive seen so far, lots of people got these problems because they cloned, and ended up having to do a clean install anyway, which in the end didnt save them any time or effort

also clean installing windows and all your programs gives a really big speed boost if you dont take good care of your OS regularly or havent done a clean install in a few years

so you wont be getting the full performance out of your SSD if you just clone all the crap over that is mixed in the system files

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Thanks for not answering my question and being the second person on this thread to warn me about it.

I was giving you a recommendation. No need to be hostile about it. 90% of the time a cloned os wont even boot on the same system. It also causes all kinds of issues in the windows filesystem.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Alright, sweet. No answers to my question. Thanks guys.