How do I fix this?

as96
Go to solution Solved by as96,

nevermind I fixed it, I thought of all complex and useless stuff when the fix was:

float pX = std::nearbyintf(mPosition.x);		float pY = std::nearbyintf(mPosition.y);

I'm trying to write an extremely simple "AI", but I'm having this problem:

Route step code:

sf::Vector2f AI_Route::Step()	{		float pX = Math::Clamp<float>(std::ceil(mPosition.x), 0, mPoints[mAtPoint].x);		float pY = Math::Clamp<float>(std::ceil(mPosition.y), 0, mPoints[mAtPoint].y);		if (mAtPoint < mNoPoints)		{			if (pX == mPoints[mAtPoint].x && pY == mPoints[mAtPoint].y)			{				mAtPoint++;			}			if (mAtPoint < mNoPoints)			{				mPosition = Math::Lerp<sf::Vector2f>(mPosition, mPoints.at(mAtPoint), mPercentageSpeed);			}		}		return mPosition;	}

Clamp and Lerp code:

template <typename T> T Lerp(const T& start, const T& end, float percentage)		{			return (start + percentage*(end - start));		}		template <typename T> T Clamp(const T& value, const T& min, const T& max)		{			return value < min ? min : (value > max ? max : value);		}

The problem is related to some kind of rounding error that I can't fix for some reason, I tried flooring, ceiling, and clamping the number but nothing, and now it's even skipping points if I clamp the values as you can see in the video.

Also, now it goes out of range (but only if I clamp the values)

I spent 15 minutes trying to fix it but nothing...

Edited the post, so you can focus on the important part of the code (the step function)

I don't get why you are clamping it to begin with. You're clamping your position between [0, mPoints[mAtPoint].x]. The points you skip have mPosition.x >= mPoints[mAtPoint].x, which results in pX == mPoints[mAtPoint].x. If you want to clamp, clamp the position based on the dimensions of the canvas. That way you get (if you truly want to get) a position within the boundary of the screen. Remove the clamp otherwise.

Are your mPoints integers? Try maybe rounding the mPosition and bringing it into a integer when you compare. Also i think your mPosition.y should be floating too, but you have it as 0 instead of 0.f

I don't get why you are clamping it to begin with. You're clamping your position between [0, mPoints[mAtPoint].x]. The points you skip have mPosition.x >= mPoints[mAtPoint].x, which results in pX == mPoints[mAtPoint].x. If you want to clamp, clamp the position based on the dimensions of the canvas. That way you get (if you truly want to get) a position within the boundary of the screen. Remove the clamp otherwise.

Are your mPoints integers? Try maybe rounding the mPosition and bringing it into a integer when you compare. Also i think your mPosition.y should be floating too, but you have it as 0 instead of 0.f

I'm clamping it because it went to 201 instead of 200, so the points didn't match, and I had to ceil it because if I didn't it goes at a slightly lower value like 199.999.

The mPoints are floats

nevermind I fixed it, I thought of all complex and useless stuff when the fix was:

float pX = std::nearbyintf(mPosition.x);		float pY = std::nearbyintf(mPosition.y);