What's the difference between AMD APUs and Intel Processors?

Go to solution Solved by Blebekblebek,

there's no difference, it just the same thing CPU+GPU / CPGPU solution with different names for each company, Examples include AMD Accelerated Processing Unit, Cell, Intel HD Graphics, and NVIDIA's Project Denver.

however AMD believe their solution still better when it comes to GPU performance on single chip for x86 system, that's it.

and they also make SoC solution by releasing AM1 platform where 1 processor control almost everything on chip, that's why you didn't see any chipset embedded on motherboard, it was released to compete with ATOM solution from intel.

I've always thought that AMD APUs was just a fancy name for having integrated graphics on the chip, like what Intel's processors have.

Having watched today's Techtalk, it would seem I am quite wrong.

Could somebody explain in detail what the differences and features of each are?

Thanks,
ElfenSky

I've tried the wikipedia article, but frankly it doesn't explain it very well, at least to my tired mind.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

AMD apus are great for laptops and such, where no discrete graphics card is present.

Intel processors are best when paired with a discrete gpu

Intel cpus will destroy amd apus in cpu performance

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

apus are for low budgets and dont have much upgradeability

intel cpus with igpus are technically iGPUS but the gpu is so weak they dont bother but tend to be weaker for the money

for them nuf said

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

AMD are pushing for a heterogeneous system architecture (HSA), where the GPU "cores" can do the same sort of workload as the CPU cores. The GPUs in the APUs are made with this in mind, and that's why you may see marketing for the A10 7850K such as "12 Compute Cores (4 CPU + 8 GPU)." This is what I know about it. The Intel CPUs' iGPUs I don't believe have such an ability.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

AMD apus are great for laptops and such, where no discrete graphics card is present.

Intel processors are best when paired with a discrete gpu

Intel cpus will destroy amd apus in cpu performance

thinking the same as me... /\

intel cpus with igpus are technically iGPUS but the gpu is so weak they dont bother but tend to be weaker for the money

for them nuf said

Why don't they have much upgradeability? Can't you still pair them with discrete graphics?

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Why don't they have much upgradeability? Can't you still pair them with discrete graphics?

Of course, they're like any other CPU for the most part. AMD's HSA stuff and the strong iGPU is what sets it apart.

They have enough upgradeability. The only two things missing are stronger CPUs and SLI support. (If not counting M.2 and SATA Express, which weren't meant for budget platforms or USB 3.1, which is very new.)

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

1. the sockets for them dont have many high end CPUS

2. yes you can but the only time you can crossfire them is with a r7 250 r7 240 but its not really worth it

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I've always thought that AMD APUs was just a fancy name for having integrated graphics on the chip, like what Intel's processors have.

Having watched today's Techtalk, it would seem I am quite wrong.

Could somebody explain in detail what the differences and features of each are?

Thanks,

ElfenSky

I've tried the wikipedia article, but frankly it doesn't explain it very well, at least to my tired mind.

Here it in simple terms:

AMD APU:  GPU + CPU (weaker than most Intel for the CPU part)

Intel CPU:  Simply better than AMD CPUs when paired with Discrete graphics cards  The Premium brand.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

APU is the term that AMD used to show people their product (like a CPU + better GPU fused together like A10-7850K).

Intel CPU in the other hand...... Just a CPU..... Although it has integrated graphics but it's damn weak.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

for them nuf said

They're not actually very weak. I can game at 720p just fine with mine. Bf4 gets about 60 frames.

@DimasRMDO too

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

They're not actually very weak. I can game at 720p just fine with mine. Bf4 gets about 60 frames.

@DimasRMDO too

I know it's not very weak, but I'd prefer stronger CPU + dedicated GPU. APU can be put in "Dual Graphics" mode which is great.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I know it's not very weak, but I'd prefer stronger CPU + dedicated GPU. APU can be put in "Dual Graphics" mode which is great.

Totally missed my point. I have a 4790k, not an apu. Intel's igpus can game at 720p pretty well.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

there's no difference, it just the same thing CPU+GPU / CPGPU solution with different names for each company, Examples include AMD Accelerated Processing Unit, Cell, Intel HD Graphics, and NVIDIA's Project Denver.

however AMD believe their solution still better when it comes to GPU performance on single chip for x86 system, that's it.

and they also make SoC solution by releasing AM1 platform where 1 processor control almost everything on chip, that's why you didn't see any chipset embedded on motherboard, it was released to compete with ATOM solution from intel.