Help! I Don't know what the difference is between Arduino and Raspberry Pi!

Meawa
Go to solution Solved by Circs,

Can someone explain me the differences between a Raspberry pi and an arduino

A Raspberry Pi (RasPi) and it's sequel the RasPi 2 are essentially full computers based off 32bit ARM microprocessors. Since their processors use the ARM instruction set (similar to your tablet or smartphone) conventional x86 applications cannot run on them. Windows currently does not support ARM devices except with Windows RT, but limited support is slated for ARM with Win10. This essentially means that you'll be running Linux on your RasPi. The RasPi 1 & 2 have headers and associated hardware present for lower level interfaces such as SPI and I2C which are used to interface with a variety of devices including sensors and servos. (Not generally directly) Arduino is actually a small family of devices with widely varying capabilities, but when most people say Arduino they're talking about the Uno. The Uno has I2C and SPI interfaces and can also listen to sensors and command servos.

One way to understand the real difference is to talk about the specifications and comparative scale.

RasPi1

CPU: 32bit 700MHz ARMv6 - RAM: 512MB @ 400MHz - GPU: VideoCore IV (capable of 1080p!) - Storage: SDHC Class 10

Arduino Uno

CPU: 8bit 16MHz ATmega328 - RAM: 2KB @ 16MHz - GPU: None - Storage: 32KB Flash

A fairly common use of something like an Arduino Uno would be to act as the controller hardware for a USB keyboard. A similar microcontroller - the Teensy - is used to build highly custom mechanical keyboards by enthusiasts.

A fairly common use of the RasPi1 was as a bare bones media box or small web server, an emulator for older videogame systems or even running Minecraft.

i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Corsair DDR4 LPX 16 GB | MSI GTX 970 Gaming | Corsair 750D | WD Black 1 TB | MX100 256 GB | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Watt | ASUS VG248QE | Corsair H105 | K70 MX blues non-RGB | M95 | H1500 | Windows 8.1 64-bit

Raspberry pi tastes better?

Simply put..

The pi is a Mini Computer and the Arduino is a micro-controller

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

They're essentially the same thing. Albeit, the RB Pi is a lot faster and currently has more support for only a few dollars more. I would choose that if I had the choice.

can you power a motor with the raspberrypi?

i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Corsair DDR4 LPX 16 GB | MSI GTX 970 Gaming | Corsair 750D | WD Black 1 TB | MX100 256 GB | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Watt | ASUS VG248QE | Corsair H105 | K70 MX blues non-RGB | M95 | H1500 | Windows 8.1 64-bit

can you power a motor with the raspberrypi?

If you only want to run a motor use a Arduino it will be cheaper... 

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

If you only want to run a motor use a Arduino it will be cheaper... 

But can a RaspberryPi still power a motor?

But can a RaspberryPi still power a motor?

Nether the pi or the Arduino can control a motor directly (well they will control mico motor) you will need to use them to control something else that does with a separate power supply...

You can use stepper motors controllers/ standard speed controllers or even a relay for simple on/off with both but the Arduino add-ons and shield board tend to be cheaper... 

A Raspberry Pi (RasPi) and it's sequel the RasPi 2 are essentially full computers based off 32bit ARM microprocessors. Since their processors use the ARM instruction set (similar to your tablet or smartphone) conventional x86 applications cannot run on them. Windows currently does not support ARM devices except with Windows RT, but limited support is slated for ARM with Win10. This essentially means that you'll be running Linux on your RasPi. The RasPi 1 & 2 have headers and associated hardware present for lower level interfaces such as SPI and I2C which are used to interface with a variety of devices including sensors and servos. (Not generally directly) Arduino is actually a small family of devices with widely varying capabilities, but when most people say Arduino they're talking about the Uno. The Uno has I2C and SPI interfaces and can also listen to sensors and command servos.

One way to understand the real difference is to talk about the specifications and comparative scale.

RasPi1

CPU: 32bit 700MHz ARMv6 - RAM: 512MB @ 400MHz - GPU: VideoCore IV (capable of 1080p!) - Storage: SDHC Class 10

Arduino Uno

CPU: 8bit 16MHz ATmega328 - RAM: 2KB @ 16MHz - GPU: None - Storage: 32KB Flash

A fairly common use of something like an Arduino Uno would be to act as the controller hardware for a USB keyboard. A similar microcontroller - the Teensy - is used to build highly custom mechanical keyboards by enthusiasts.

A fairly common use of the RasPi1 was as a bare bones media box or small web server, an emulator for older videogame systems or even running Minecraft.

1. Overclock until the magic smoke comes out. 2. Modify until broken. 3. Fix and repeat.

4670k - 16GB - 290X - 1440p Freesync