Sky lake or Haswell-E

Hi guys

So at the minute I'm in the dilemma of upgrading my 8350, however i can't decide whether I should buy the 5820k now or wait for Skylake. Does anyone have any opinions on how you think Skylake will perform compared to Haswell. This is for gaming.

Thanks!!

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

for gaming? dude, the X99 platform is for heavy content creation... you are better off with a 4690K, or 4790K for shits and giggles.... you really don't NEED the X99 platform

for gaming? dude, the X99 platform is for heavy content creation... you are better off with a 4690K, or 4790K for shits and giggles.... you really don't NEED the X99 platform

wrong. If someone is really blowing away money then why not x99?

Hexa core processor is the sweet spot.

Ah ok, if it was between 4790k and Skylake? What do you think

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

snip

I agree with the above, you will hardly see any gaming performance in Haswell-E or even Skylake from the current Haswell in non CPU intensive games

Skylake is going to be the next consumer grade chip. Think it's coming on the 1155 platform. The x99 chipset isn't designed for gamers (unless you've got more money than sense...Hand up, but I haven't got much money either)

z97 is the sweet spot atm for gamers. either an i5 4690, or i7 4790 if you feel the need to splurge.

I have a 4790K and the only time I had it under 100% load was during folding, cant really see a game using 6-cores :) but yeah, if you have the money, why not... I am down for any crazy stuff :D

Ah ok, if it was between 4790k and Skylake? What do you think

4790K will be good for years to come... 4 cores at 4Ghz (stock), can OC to 4,5-4,8Ghz depending on luck, but still very good for gaming... depends on your budget also

Tbh that's what I thought, plus I can hopefully get it a lot cheaper so it wouldn't be much more than the 4790k. Plus I want to be able to see a huge difference between my 8350 and the new processor

I have a 4790K and the only time I had it under 100% load was during folding, cant really see a game using 6-cores :) but yeah, if you have the money, why not... I am down for any crazy stuff :D

4790K will be good for years to come... 4 cores at 4Ghz (stock), can OC to 4,5-4,8Ghz depending on luck, but still very good for gaming... depends on your budget also

you can actually benefit from hexa core on cpu intensive games. Games do use 6 core(maybe).

Tbh that's what I thought, plus I can hopefully get it a lot cheaper so it wouldn't be much more than the 4790k. Plus I want to be able to see a huge difference between my 8350 and the new processor

If your mind was made up, why did you ask.

Thank you google you returned 1 million results showing imunisation was not harmful to my child and one result showing it was....That's heavily supported evidence for not immunising.

then 5820k for you! I owned it for a while and its performance was great. From multitasking to cpu intensive games and also rendering videos!

If your mind was made up, why did you ask.

Thank you google you returned 1 million results showing imunisation was not harmful to my child and one result showing it was....That's heavily supported evidence for not immunising.

Just seeing what your guys opinion was, tbh like you all said It doesn't exactly help a lot more than the 4790k.... Plus I just found out I could get the same discount on the 4790k which is awesome

None.

Would be better off with x99 as they will both have 4 cores :l

I thought it was ment to be Tick Tock etc.

Not Tock Tick Tick

Just seeing what your guys opinion was, tbh like you all said It doesn't exactly help a lot more than the 4790k.... Plus I just found out I could get the same discount on the 4790k which is awesome

The price problem with x99 isn't really with the cpu (yes a 5960x is sort of expensive) although a 5820 is priced competitively the cheapest memory I've found in my country for ddr4 was a 200 buck set of crucials (sitting in my closet from when a supplier wanted to stuff around) For the price of a mid range x99 (they start at mid range, trust me) you can setup a pretty fricking awesome z97 rig.

Or you could wait for skylake.

Hoping to do a big oc as well as my 8350 would fail past 4.5

The price problem with x99 isn't really with the cpu (yes a 5960x is sort of expensive) although a 5820 is priced competitively the cheapest memory I've found in my country for ddr4 was a 200 buck set of crucials (sitting in my closet from when a supplier wanted to stuff around) For the price of a mid range x99 (they start at mid range, trust me) you can setup a pretty fricking awesome z97 rig.

Or you could wait for skylake.

Is Skylake meant to increase performance a lot or is it just power consumption?

My only consolation with my rig is that x79 has lasted for ages, and remained competitive. I'm hoping x99 matures as well.

Is Skylake meant to increase performance a lot or is it just power consumption?

Bit of both. I can't see it having a much higher clock speed than z97, but I can see it doing a lot more with it, and not requiring as much power to do it. This could lead to a lot more headroom for coolers designed for 145W chips.