Silver Arrow IB-E extreme or Noctua nh-d14

Buckah

I've been looking at cooling solutions for some time now and have had to deal with the fact that no decent AIO liquid cooler will fit in my case so air cooling is the way forward and it seems to be between the Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme and the Noctua NH-D14. I know the Silver arrow wins marginally on perfomance but was wanting to hear from some of you guys that actually them? considering the perfomance issues are negligible.

So yeah anyone that has either what are your thoughts?

Is the Cryorig R1 out of the runnings too, or no?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I've been looking at cooling solutions for some time now and have had to deal with the fact that no decent AIO liquid cooler will fit in my case so air cooling is the way forward and it seems to be between the Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme and the Noctua NH-D14. I know the Silver arrow wins marginally on perfomance but was wanting to hear from some of you guys that actually them? considering the perfomance issues are negligible.

So yeah anyone that has either what are your thoughts?

i prefer the silver arro because it does win on preformance a small bit. 

keep in mind, the fans that come with it are LOUD AF. 

strap some high CFM noctua or cougar fans on the silver arrow and you're golden IMHO ....

some xeon or a S part i5 or i7 (probs the i5-4690s cause money) the sivler arrow IB-E-extrm and put a single 140mm noctua inbetween the two towers of it. add in a passively cooled 970 (its possible, semi-monor modding though)

keep a nice quiet workstation. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme with Noctua Fans....

make sure they're the 140mm ones. 

the only reason th sivler arrow beats out is size heatpipes and fan speed. match it with the right sized noctua and i beleive you have a water cooling killer for 90% of users. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I've decided to go with the Silver Arrow or NH-D14 simply because the NH-D15 doesnt fit in my case and the NH-D14 clears it barely. Seems to be the Silver arrow with Noctua fans is the way to go!

The Cryorig is beaten on performance by both of the above i believe? Perfomance is a big issue as i plan to overclock my 4790k :)

I've decided to go with the Silver Arrow or NH-D14 simply because the NH-D15 doesnt fit in my case and the NH-D14 clears it barely. Seems to be the Silver arrow with Noctua fans is the way to go!

The Cryorig is beaten on performance by both of the above i believe? Perfomance is a big issue as i plan to overclock my 4790k :)

88 watt CPU, right? 

i think so. 

im confident you wont see any tempurature number you wont be uncomfortable with. ;)

also, 

under 100 posts and from this year so 

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

:D

-Jim Hensen

Yep your right its an 88w CPU :)

Cheers guys! Silver arrow with Noctua 140mm fans it is :)

Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme with Noctua Fans....

make sure they're the 140mm ones. 

the only reason th sivler arrow beats out is size heatpipes and fan speed. match it with the right sized noctua and i beleive you have a water cooling killer for 90% of users. 

Explain the logic behind this when he could just get the D-14...

well the silver arrow is any comparison tests always comes out better, so slap some noctua fans on it for quiet mode? i think this is the logic =]

That comparison is pretty old and is probably the original silver arrow (doesn't seem tospecify which), since then the silver arrow SB-E and IB-E have been released, which on anything ive seen has a better dissipation rate than the D14. 

The D-14 is a better cooler, aesthetics aside.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/thermalright_silver_arrow_vs_noctua_nh-d14/3

-SNIP-

Well: 

a) that is the original Silver Arrow

b ) It didn't have Noctua Fans...so the comparison isn't fair

Performance might be similar between them, overclock3D has it that the D-14 edges out the arrow in higher overclocks with their i7 950, at 4.4Ghz their was a 10C difference between them. Also build quality and customer support easily goes to the Noctua. 

edit:I see, didn't notice it was the non extreme version. The new cooler does seem to have an edge over the D-14 by a few degrees and build quality has been improved. Since the difference in performance is still minor I would consider it if the price gap between the two isn't very large. If you had no use for the Silver Arrow extreme's fans after you replaced them with the Noctuas I would consider that money wasted. Perhaps it would be cheaper to look into the bigger brother of the D-14, the D-15.