Not sure which part of my system is F**d

nukem

so my second pc that i use occasionally started not booting up on first attempts, like it would reboot cycle once or twice before it would post and boot into the OS, because im lazy i didnt get around to sussing it out until recently, so finally i thought well time for a reformat anyway, so i took it outside to give it a nice clean with the air compressor to remove all the dust first,

as i took the side panel off i noticed a greasy substance all over the fans and fan filters/ case and sum of it has more likely dripped down onto other components. 

i thought well S**t so i removed all the case fans, used isopropyl and a rag to clean off all the grease that i could see, let the pc dry for 2 days.. and i thought hmm better check everything actually works.

So basically what happens when i hit the power button the cpu fan starts spinning up, i dont get any sound or LED's lighting up and i get no post screen whatsoever, what im wondering is..

1. What the hell caused this grease, maybe one of the fans leaked grease? ( do they even have grease in the ball bearings or whatever?

2. Not sure if my motheboard is fried

3. Not sure if my powersupply fried

^ to me sounds like a PSU or mobo issue but i thought id ask your guys opinion, unfortunately i dont have another spare PSU to test out, wondering if i should go and buy a new psu and mobo then return the one that i dont need but could it possibly be a different component? uhhhh lol pc specs are;

Corsair Obsidian 350D

Some mid range z87 MSI micro ATX board

i5 4670

2x4GB sum mid range ram

Corsair CX500 PSU

gtx760 gpu

coolermaster hyper 212x

for testing if stripped out the GPU and only kept 1 stick of ram in the system, any help determining the problem would be greatly appreciated! can supply pics if needed but theres no aesthetically obvious damage.

PC: Corsair 900D | Corsair AX860 | Maxmius VI Hero | i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 | Sapphire Radeon 7950 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Win7 X64

HTPC: Silverstone GD05 Black | Corsair VS350W | AMD A6 5400K | AsRock FM2A75-PRO4-M | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600 | Samsung 840 128GB | WD Black 4TBx2 | Leadtek Winfast DTV2000DS | LiteOn BD\DVD-RW Combo | WIN7 x64/XBMC

Maybe a dying cmos battery?

Fans do leak. The bearings go and leak oil/grease Just replace them.

Make sure it all plugged in, nice and tight.

Can you change out the psu? I know it sucks.

sounds like the MB.

i have no idea what could have caused that grease.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

-SNIP-

Sounds like you had a fan bearing leak or something, there is also the possibility that grease could be flux flashing off of a PCB that wasn't cleaned from the manufacture, that tends to occur more so on GPU's especially since thermal pads can also leak an greasy type substance. As for what could be the problem it sounds like something to do with the motherboard.

Maybe a dying cmos battery?

Fans do leak. The bearings go and leak oil/grease Just replace them.

Can you change out the psu? I know it sucks.

im not an "electronics guy" but maybe could the grease cause a short which fried the battery? the system is less than 1 year old aswell i forgot to mention.

unfortunately i dont have a spare PSU but i could go buy one and try it and then return it if it doesnt help.

PC: Corsair 900D | Corsair AX860 | Maxmius VI Hero | i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 | Sapphire Radeon 7950 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Win7 X64

HTPC: Silverstone GD05 Black | Corsair VS350W | AMD A6 5400K | AsRock FM2A75-PRO4-M | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600 | Samsung 840 128GB | WD Black 4TBx2 | Leadtek Winfast DTV2000DS | LiteOn BD\DVD-RW Combo | WIN7 x64/XBMC

yeah they were decent corsair fans too :( guess ill stick to noctua from now on,

might be worth me taking the whole system apart and testing it outside of the case, and give the mobo a good clean down with iso?

im not an "electronics guy" but maybe could the grease cause a short which fried the battery? the system is less than 1 year old aswell i forgot to mention.

unfortunately i dont have a spare PSU but i could go buy one and try it and then return it if it doesnt help.

check what W-L said first, looks for burn spot on the pcb or traces on the back. it could be shorting out. Im not the best with troubleshooting too. I lack the tools to play around with psu's, don't take yours apart. A cheap psu would do, you could just ask a pc shop instead of returning one. I was just thinking the cmos battery came slightly loose or something, they do last for a while.

can't hurt to run some memtest86 on all possible combinations of RAM modules/slots

2 hours or so each try

we can't get to post i think, he could take a stick out and try, repeat. If its a bad stick.

check what W-L said first, looks for burn spot on the pcb or traces on the back. it could be shorting out. Im not the best with troubleshooting too. I lack the tools to play around with psu's, don't take yours apart. A cheap psu would do, you could just ask a pc shop instead of returning one. I was just thinking the cmos battery came slightly loose or something, they do last for a while.

oh yeah, i didnt mean i was gonna take the PSU apart, i would never trust myself doing that lol, i think my best best is to run everything out of the case, and give everything a substantial clean.

oh yeah, i didnt mean i was gonna take the PSU apart, i would never trust myself doing that lol, i think my best best is to run everything out of the case, and give everything a substantial clean.

the plug is working right, i trip my breaker all the time.

the plug is working right, i trip my breaker all the time.

yeh lol.

ahh well i think i know what needs to be done, its all about getting that courage to actually do it now :P 

so i havnt had time to mess around with the system, decided to just walk over to it and turn it on today to see what happens, it actually post'ed , i pressed f1 to get into the UEFI, it was okay for about 2 seconds, then screen went black, with weird horizontal lines in random places lol, cant get it to post again after that.

so i havnt had time to mess around with the system, decided to just walk over to it and turn it on today to see what happens, it actually post'ed , i pressed f1 to get into the UEFI, it was okay for about 2 seconds, then screen went black, with weird horizontal lines in random places lol, cant get it to post again after that.

have you tried with just the mobo display?

remove the GPU

Clear CMOS

plug monitor to mobo 

and power on

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.