PC hardware addiction?

zygor

Hey guys,

I'm a 'hardcore' gamer that plays the same game and some shooting games as break from that particular game, RuneScape. I do play Diablo III as well on and off. So recently, i've been upgrading a lot these last months just so I can enjoy maximum experience. I usually upgrade my system only if I notice that I need it for those games I mentioned.

I used to have this system for 3 years:

CPU: AMD phenom x6 1055T

Case: Corsair 200R

GPU: GTX 650 Ti 2gb windforce

RAM: 6gb 1333MHZ (3 sticks)

This year I upgraded to: FX 6300 black edition (two months ago) and the motherboard of course, M597A 2.0 due to discount at my place. I also upgraded my case to Fractal design define R5 black windowed for better cooling performance, 8k hyperx fury 1600 RAM as well. GPU: R9 280x 3gb. SSD: Evo 850 250gb.

And I told to myself "yeah, that's the last upgrade for another 3 years"

And guess what?.. I continued to upgrade my CPU & Mobo + GPU. Right now i'm sitting on I7 4790k after reading how strong cores it have and more "futureproof" combined with a Z97-AR, GPU: 970 Evga. And I feel that i'm still not done yet, thinking of adding more fans to the case and perhaps one more of the same SSD I use etc.

Even upgrading my current case! i'm waiting for NZXT H440 due to elegant look and from what i've read it has nearly/same performane as Fractal R5. Right now I have future plan for my next PC upgrade [AMD] so I'll have two PC's. It's also interesting to see how far you can get with PC performance in games, usually I never cared about PC hardware.

Why is it so addictive, am I the only one and what about you?

I guess it's because you want to be on the bleeding edge?

It's the feeling of knowing you made the creation that you can now use to stream 4k pr0n.

Yea I guess, haha

I have this problem too. Only thing is, I never have money to buy games cuz I buy computer stuffs.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

beavuse we all have the need , the need or speed ;P and power , and hey its just plain old fun to build a pc ! 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

Because there is always bigger and better things

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

You're not alone! I had to put a stop on my PC part buying last fall because I just wanted more.

Started buying more firearms/shooting/reloading supplies instead. Would have been cheaper to stick with the PC parts.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

Im always looking for the better fan or case or gpu.  I'm very anal about sound

If I am not messing around with a computer for a given amount of time, I start twitching, and I spend all my money on trips to Akihabara to find old computer parts. It's certainly a better addiction than drugs. It's why I have the computer I have now.

I kind of had that. I feel like something always needs an upgrade, but I quickly tell myself that I can't be spending tons of money because other expenses take priority (i.e. college).

Needless to say I'll still be upgrading to a Titan X this summer, because why not eh? :D

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Half the fun of PCs is the building, upgrading, tinkering, benchmarking etc. :) Whether it's PC components or something else, we're all always wanting more. Considering how there's new parts being released constantly, it makes it difficult to resist the want.

Told myself when I started planning my build back in the summer of 2013, my budget was $600-700 and the parts I'd chosen would be sufficient for several years of gaming. Well what a load of BS that was. lol. The initial build ended up costing about $900 and have already added several upgrades since. 

Once you get bitten by the hardware bug, it's hard to resist the temptation. :P

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I have this problem too. Only thing is, I never have money to buy games cuz I buy computer stuffs.

The feels, you buy pc parts to play games but dont have money to buy games. 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

Hey guys,

I'm a 'hardcore' gamer that plays the same game and some shooting games as break from that particular game, RuneScape. I do play Diablo III as well on and off. So recently, i've been upgrading a lot these last months just so I can enjoy maximum experience. I usually upgrade my system only if I notice that I need for those games I mentioned.

I used to have this system for 3 years:

CPU: AMD phenom x6 1055T

Case: Corsair 200R

GPU: GTX 650 Ti 2gb windforce

RAM: 6gb 1333MHZ (3 sticks)

This year I upgraded to: FX 6300 black edition (two months ago) and the motherboard of course, M597A 2.0 due to discount at my place. I also upgraded my case to Fractal design define R5 black windowed for better cooling performance, 8k hyperx fury 1600 RAM as well. GPU: R9 280x 3gb. SSD: Evo 850 250gb.

And I told to myself "yeah, that's the last upgrade for another 3 years"

And guess what?.. I continued to upgrade my CPU & Mobo + GPU. Right now i'm sitting on I7 4790k after reading how strong cores it have and more "futureproof" combined with a Z97-AR, GPU: 970 Evga. And I feel that i'm still not done yet, thinking of adding more fans to the case and perhaps one more of the same SSD I use etc.

Even upgrading my current case! i'm waiting for NZXT H440 due to elegant look and from what i've read it has nearly/same performane as Fractal R5. Right now I have future plan for my next PC upgrade [AMD] so I'll have two PC's. It's also interesting to see how far you can get with PC performance in games, usually I never cared about PC hardwares.

Why is it so addictive, am I the only one?

No I am more or less the same as you. Used to be a console gamer mainly, got a pc and since then I am constantly looking to upgrade. My latest was moving my build into a H440 even tho there was nothing wrong with my previous case. I am now looking at getting a titan x for my current build and slip my two 980's into two new builds. Its very addictive.

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

Thanks for replies guys. Was interesting to hear your thoughts. :D

I know the feeling!

I have the same problem, I remember a couple of years ago when my brand new Radeon HD 5750 arrived at my home, it was the last piece of the puzzle I have been building for 6 months, and there it was, that night i couldn't sleep, I was so excited but 1 month later I don't even power on my pc for days. The hype was over but I wanted a more powerfull PC, a better graphics card, a faster CPU and maybe an SSD but I knew that the moment I got them it was going to be the same, I would forget very quick about them and not even power on my PC for weeks. Its very strange, I don't know yet why we want to spend in hardware that we don't use. And its the same with the smartphones, "OMG iphone 5s!!" said my friends only to buy a brand new Iphone 6 one year later. The marketing and media "backstab".

same here dude. I'm changing hardware and water cooling stuff like mad these days. Only one thing about me that i always change parts only 5 years once, that's the cycle for me. If you see my build log here i'm changing stuff a lot and it comes to a stage where it complete then some new stuff came out and now i'm changing some stuff and hopefully that is the end. Just gaming all the way after that. Even though i have the buying power, i always make something as priority first such as my family (grocery and such), bills and so on then only parts for my build. I have seen people using their hard earn cash and use it all and starve themselves and waiting for the next payroll. Yeah.. hardware are expensive depending where you are. Its a hobby but sometimes we also need to evaluate, is a want or is a need. Just my 2 cent. 

Mobo:Rampage v Extreme **Processor: i7 5930X @ 4.7ghz**Ram:Corsair Vengence 2800 16GB**GPU: GTX Titan X**PSU: 1300W Cooler Master Silent Hybrid**Hard drive: 512gb Plexton Pro SSD**Samsung EVO 1TB SSD**Case: Enthoo Primo** All razers peripehal
WC : Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 480mm Radiator ***Phobya V2 480mm Radiator!!***EK R5E Full Mobo WB***Nickel EK-FC Titan X with Black Backplate from EK*** Bitspower com angle fittings*** Primochill Hardline Fittings**Bitspower Dual Pump top and 200mm Tube Z with MCP655 pwm***Primochill PETG** Mayhem Dye

Follow me in instagram #grimmmreaper88

ugggh why do people spend so much on ram? look at the truth citizens! PC MASTER RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

I did the same thing. Started with a 3770, then 3770K, now 4790K, GTX 660, Single 970, SLI 970, One monitor, 2 monitor, 3 monitors, Now I just ordered a 4k monitor and going to do 4 monitor setup. 4 SSDs and going to RAID Them and might pick up more. Going to mod my case, paint it, add more fans to it. 

What is wrong with me...

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg