Experiences with non-techies

My lord, @WinNut and @Yummychickenblue, I'm gone for an hour and I have a shit-ton of notifications from you guys... Jeez. :o

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

My lord, @WinNut and @Yummychickenblue, I'm gone for an hour and I have a shit-ton of notifications from you guys... Jeez. :o

Well I am playing modded minecraft (the best type of minecraft by the way) and replying to the forum because my LTT chrome extension keeps going off.

what about people who don't have CD rom drives?

If you ever saw the GIF of Linus poking Slick then you would know how he pressed the button.

He said he needed "printouts", and after much frustration, hitting-over-the-head-with-a-70-pound-laser-printer, talking, it turned out he needed copies of something. Then when I opened up the color laser printer (Lexmark C510, referenced in last sentence), he was having trouble understanding how paper enters and exits a printer. I asked him if he had a printer, and he said he did but he just uses other printers because he does not know how to operate his. (WTF?)

If you ever saw the GIF of Linus poking Slick then you would know how he pressed the button.

He said he needed "printouts", and after much frustration, hitting-over-the-head-with-a-70-pound-laser-printer, talking, it turned out he needed copies of something. Then when I opened up the color laser printer (Lexmark C510, referenced in last sentence), he was having trouble understanding how paper enters and exits a printer. I asked him if he had a printer, and he said he did but he just uses other printers because he does not know how to operate his. (WTF?)

He would make a great ambassador of non-techies not knowing how to work a printer and all.

I believe it does...

The problem with that is that if you ever need to take off the cooler for some reason then you will need to buy an aftermarket thermal paste because the preapplied one will get screwed over the second that you take it off. The stock paste is also really weird, I've heard stories of people who's processors were literally RIPPED out of the socket.

I can verify this. When I was building my friend's rig we had to take the cpu out and the paste made it like glue.

Well I am playing modded minecraft (the best type of minecraft by the way) and replying to the forum because my LTT chrome extension keeps going off.

What mods? Just curious :P

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

I can verify this. When I was building my friend's rig we had to take the cpu out and the paste made it like glue.

I second that. It's fairly common. I've even had As5 do that even though claims have been made that it shouldn't. 

Can't you get <Insert processor manufacturer name here> give you a new one since it was there thermal paste that broke THERE chip?

Can't you get <Insert processor manufacturer name here> give you a new one since it was there thermal paste that broke THERE chip?

Most likely no. They would probably say something like "You shouldn't remove the heatsink once applied. Our warranty doesn't cover actual improvements." :P

I don't know. The pins did get bent but I was able to unbend them and get the PC to work :D

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Most likely no. They would probably say something like "You shouldn't remove the heatsink once applied. Our warranty doesn't cover actual improvements." :P

I will keep that in mind if I ever get an aftermarket heatsink.

I don't know. The pins did get bent but I was able to unbend them and get the PC to work  :D

why did you try to unbend the pins?

I will keep that in mind if I ever get an aftermarket heatsink.

why did you try to unbend the pins?

I guess I didn't think that the warranty would cover the damage. We took the thing out in the first place because PCPartPicker said that the part were incompatible literally 2 days before I went over to his house to build the thing!  :huh: The PC works fine so I guess I should e-mail PCPartPicker about that. But I wanted to at least see if the thing would work considering the part were compatible as far as what my research told me.

Was it an AMD processor or unINTELligent processor?

If it was Intel, what happened to the cover that locks the CPU down? Did it come off?

If it was Intel, what happened to the cover that locks the CPU down? Did it come off?

Maybe it pulled the crusts off.

It was AMD. I told my friend to CAREFULLY take the CPU our but he didn't and bent the pins and them I bent the pins (not all of them) even more when I removed the stock cooler to put the CPU back in.

It was AMD. I told my friend to CAREFULLY take the CPU our but he didn't and bent the pins and them I bent the pins (not all of them) even more when I removed the stock cooler to put the CPU back in.

Well at least he didn't rub the pins flat with his thumb.

That's why I prefer LGA over PGA at times. You don't have pins on LGA which prevents THAT whole episode from happening.

That's why I prefer LGA over PGA at times. You don't have pins on LGA which prevents THAT whole episode from happening.

yeah but the holding plate is shaped like bread.

Yea but it was a somewhat budget build so to get the same performance on the intel side would have put him over budget. It all turned out good in the end though! :)

yeah but the holding plate is shaped like bread.

Which is why I am supporting lga in that post. Yay for intel's whole wheat architecture, screw ivy bridge!