1 CPU Folding ?

I was wondering if there was possibly a way to have 1 CPU folding and the second for doing regular tasks in windows ? I don't know if it is possible, I have done some vague searches on this and have found a bit but it didn't really make sense to me...

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Do you have two seperate CPU's on your motherboard or are you talking about having certain cores folding and others not?

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Do you have two seperate CPU's on your motherboard or are you talking about having certain cores folding and others not?

I literally have 2 CPU's on my motherboard, 

I guess I should have included that before, sorry,

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Well, in that case I'm not sure.. I don't have experience with multiple CPU's, but if it reads like one processor in task manager or at least similar to one processor, you might be able to set the affinity to run on a particular CPU or if it just shows you double the cores, set it so that it runs on half the cores

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

It shows as 4 cores, 

It is a Dell Precision 670

Dual 3.66Ghz Xeons, Both single core, HyperThreading, Making up the 4 core system, 

So could I just allocate 2 of my cores to it ? 

Or set the affinity, Not sure how to do that in Windows 8

EDIT, Well I figured out that I am able to change the affinity in the Details tab of the Task Manager, it moved from the normal spot in Windows 7

FAH will not always obey affinity - one of the problems with it. :) But, basicailly reduce the Core count and you can also move the slider down from Medium for lower work load as well.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

FAH will not always obey affinity - one of the problems with it. :) But, basicailly reduce the Core count and you can also move the slider down from Medium for lower work load as well.

Thank's for bringing that up Whaler, I was digging around in the settings, making sure to be careful as well, I came across that option and only set it to 50% so my CPU Usage is around 70% constant (Windows as well as anything destroys these CPU's) and my GPU never goes above 44% ( Temp is a steady 54° ), This was a nice feature because I can actually use this computer while it is folding, 

Also the Folding Power slider is on Full because it kept saying "Waiting for idle" beside the GPU WU and I thought that there will never be an idle, so Full it was. There was never an idle because my PC always had something in the background or I would watch Youtube videos quite a lot and I like to watch some with detail as well, and I know my screen saver may keep that above the idle mark so that is why that is Full, and right now it all seems to be running just fine, I can say I am very happy to have put my PC in the basement where it is nice and cool, 

Thanks for the help everyone, 

Nathan

PS. I must say typing with your finger bandaged up has to be about the most annoying thing... You don't know how many things I had to correct.

PS. I must say typing with your finger bandaged up has to be about the most annoying thing... You don't know how many things I had to correct.

I guess you never had to type with only one hand :P

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

I guess you never had to type with only one hand :P

Alright, Should have seen that coming for me....