huge question about fans.

poggwea

Okay I have 3 fans prebuilt into my case. I have a prebuiltin fan controller aswell. The wires go through the back of the case and root to the controller. I have only 1 free random molex in the back. I don't know what it is there for. Someone please explain. I have an ultra rouge m925

I can give pictures if needed

Pictures might help?

Does the molex power the fans or is that your question?

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Without showing us the trace of that wire, I can't tell you what it's powering. It probably is the fans, but it could be LEDs or something. Trace it back to it's source and you'll find what you're looking for.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Its source is up to the top. Which I displayed a picture of

Its source is up to the top. Which I displayed a picture of

No... the source where those wires are soldered onto a circuit board. Not just the top. Feed it through and find where it leads.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

It's probably in your manual. And it's probably your fans. But if you are so inclined to find out... 

PC building is all about trial and error when it comes to wiring intricacies.

Would the fans be able to run with just the fan controller

Not without power.

They don't even label the molex

I've yet to see a case with an integrated controller that had molex labeled...

It's almost a certainty that that molex powers the fans via the fan controller.

It all feeds back to the same place right? The molex and the fan leads?

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Yes.

I can't imagine what else it would be for. I'd say it's a certainty that that molex is to power the fans (via the fan controller).

Basically yes, that's the molex to power the fans.

How do I plug it into PSU male or female

There should be a cable in your PSU box that has molex on it. It could be SATA power + molex, but it'll be there.

@Oppslia

There should be a cable in your PSU box that has molex on it. It could be SATA power + molex, but it'll be there.

Basically this ^

You should be able to find one that fits the molex (molex is an older standard but it's still widely used, all PSU's should have leads with molex).

Please elaborate IMA noon

http://m.imgur.com/iyGOUcD,sVOAAeR

What about it? Thats standard molex connector. You can use either side. It really doesn't matter. I'm used to connect PSU male to peripherals female.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Okay, basically your PSU should have a lead with something that looks like the equivalent of that, but just a very slightly different shape so that it can fit into the wider end of that socket. The reason it has two ends is so that you can plug the power into it, then plug it into something else (if need be) so that you can continue running the power into more components. 

Builds can sometimes end up with long chains of those double headed molex plugs, each one drawing power for whatever it's wired into (generally fans).

Hope that helps?

Keep us updated?

If you quote my post, the forum will let me know you've responded and that way it's easier for me to see you need assistance?

There will be a plug on a wire originating from the PSU that fits into that. Find that wire and put them together. Unless you actively try to force it in the wrong way you won't be able to mess this up.

1. Overclock until the magic smoke comes out. 2. Modify until broken. 3. Fix and repeat.

4670k - 16GB - 290X - 1440p Freesync