Is an i5 worth it for mid end cards?

No, but you are also benchmarking the CPU, not the entire system. The games you are benchmarking are quite graphically intensive. It's not outside the realm of possibility to get 50 fps on both CPUs but only because your 270X is bottlenecking you. Your results should apply to someone with a 250 as much as they apply to someone with Titan Xs in SLI, and you do that by removing the GPU from the equation.

Testing CPU performance with a mid-low end GPU isn't. To compare CPUs you either go way overboard on the GPU (Titan X, since you don't want SLI/CF to affect the result either), or you find other ways of removing it as a variable.

Yes, but I find a Graphics card to be bottlenecking a CPU to be absurd as how would it be bottlenecked. It's not going to be slowed down is it?

Yes, that would be the ideal scenario but even with the 270x it still shows that the I5 doesn't have a massive advantage over the I3 despite the £50-£60 price difference

What he is saying is that the gpu is clearly the bottleneck in the system with either of the cpu's. If you ran the test at 800x600 that would no longer be the case and allow you to actually see a measurable difference in performance between the two cpu's.

Now if you had lets say a 290x/gtx980 in the system then running with the settings you are wouldn't be as bad since they gpu's clearly wouldn't be the bottleneck.

This is some extremely flawed testing, you have not proven a point. At all.

I'll be sure to post my own results in awhile.

Hardly, this is proving that the I3 is a capable gaming chip.

Steve

Yes, but I find a Graphics card to be bottlenecking a CPU to be absurd as how would it be bottlenecked. It's not going to be slowed down is it?

A bottleneck just means one of your components isn't as capable of performing as well as another. Pairing a 260X with a 5960X and playing Watch_Dogs at 4K would be one way of introducing a colossal GPU bottleneck -- the GPU would not be capable of maintaining the maximum FPU the CPU is capable of. That's an extreme example, but it's not outside the realm of possibility for the 270X paired with the i3 or especially the i5 to exhibit the same bottleneck.

Especially in games like Tomb Raider which is a very graphically intensive game with relatively low CPU requirements.

I have a 3570k laying around, I wonder if I should do the same test. I'd have to put my 970 in my test bench doe

have you delidded said 3570k and cinebenched it?

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

have you delidded said 3570k and cinebenched it?

no, i probably wont delid it or overclock it. i need extra cash so ill probably just sell it :P

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

A bottleneck just means one of your components isn't as capable of performing as well as another. Pairing a 260X with a 5960X and playing Watch_Dogs at 4K would be one way of introducing a colossal GPU bottleneck -- the GPU would not be capable of maintaining the maximum FPU the CPU is capable of. That's an extreme example, but it's not outside the realm of possibility for the 270X paired with the i3 or especially the i5 to exhibit the same bottleneck.

Especially in games like Tomb Raider which is a very graphically intensive game with relatively low CPU requirements.

I wouldn't even class that as a bottleneck as the CPU isn't rendering the frames the GPU is. The CPU is more of a support rather than the spearhead and so I wouldn't class it as a bottleneck.

Steve

no, i probably wont delid it or overclock it. i need extra cash so ill probably just sell it :P

you should overclock it before you sell it, otherwise you will never know its it's that 5.5ghz golden chip...... :)

also on topic of this thread. i think the clock speed gained from an unlocked i5 would make more difference as the single thread performance of these locked cpu's are similar. i think the cpu oc would help the minimum frame rates. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I wouldn't even class that as a bottleneck as the CPU isn't rendering the frames the GPU is. The CPU is more of a support rather than the spearhead and so I wouldn't class it as a bottleneck.

A bottleneck just means something is limiting your fps, which a CPU and GPU are both very capable of doing.

A bottleneck just means something is limiting your fps, which a CPU and GPU are both very capable of doing.

Yea, but the

tumblr_n2acgqnxF81qb4e8eo2_400.gif

I'm just not even gonna try arguing anymore

Steve

Yea, but the

I'm just not even gonna try arguing anymore

Smart choice to not argue anymore, I wish I could say I'm sorry to tell you that you're completely wrong but I'm not. I know you think you understand how it works but you don't so you should just listen and ask questions where you don't understand or thought it worked differently.

Games utilize BOTH the cpu and the gpu. They both are better at handling different things and depending on the optimization/drivers will do so differently. What don't you understand about that? I will try and explain differently or more indepth so you can understand.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Smart choice to not argue anymore, I wish I could say I'm sorry to tell you that you're completely wrong but I'm not. I know you think you understand how it works but you don't so you should just listen and ask questions where you don't understand or thought it worked differently.

Games utilize BOTH the cpu and the gpu. They both are better at handling different things and depending on the optimization/drivers will do so differently. What don't you understand about that? I will try and explain differently or more indepth so you can understand.

Your point is moot really.

The i3 was sold , I would do the benchmarks if I could.

Now I did my part to share this information with the community .

You are within your right to dislike it or disagree with it thats fine but theres nothing I can do.

Some people especially the people building mid end system might find it useful , if you dont thats fine .

Your point is moot really.

The i3 was sold , I would do the benchmarks if I could.

Now I did my part to share this information with the community .

You are within your right to dislike it or disagree with it thats fine but theres nothing I can do.

Some people especially the people building mid end system might find it useful , if you dont thats fine .

Did you quote the wrong post? I don't see how what you just said is relevant at all to my post you quoted....

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Waste of time, of course both CPU's perform pretty much the same with a weak GPU such as an R9 270X

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Did you quote the wrong post? I don't see how what you just said is relevant at all to my post you quoted....

Its not toward you necessarily , just people that are complaining about the benchmarks.

Waste of time, of course both CPU's perform pretty much the same with a weak GPU such as an R9 270X

Thanks for calling my work waste of time.

Feels really good.

If might not interest you but other people might find it interesting.

I was expecting at least metro 2033 which is a cpu intensive game to have a bigger difference so it wasnt a waste of time for me .

Proved me wrong.

Its not toward you necessarily , just people that are complaining about the benchmarks.

Okay well I didn't complain about the benchmarks at all so you should not have quoted me... Go look at my last post on the first page, I literally said I find the benchmarks interesting....

The post that you quoted I was explaining or attempting to explain to Laputacake how a cpu can bottleneck a gpu.

Thanks for calling my work waste of time.

Feels really good.

If might not interest you but other people might find it interesting.

I was expecting at least metro 2033 which is a cpu intensive game to have a bigger difference so it wasnt a waste of time for me .

Proved me wrong.

i' very sorry but it's true...you won't see a difference in framerates between these two until you can reach much higher framerates then you could with your R9 270 at 1080p...testing at MUCH lower resolution would have been a good way to go about it if you can't get your hands on a stronger GPU...

What you've proven is that both CPU's can max out your 270...no surprise there even an athlon 860K can do that in most cases.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

i' very sorry but it's true...you won't see a difference in framerates between these two until you can reach much higher framerates then you could with your R9 270 at 1080p...testing at MUCH lower resolution would have been a good way to go about it if you can't get your hands on a stronger GPU...

I think its still relevant for someone wanting to buy a 270x / 280 gpu( or nvidia equivalent) and wanting to know what cpu to pick up intel i3 or i5.

Like i said I know for a fact my overclocked 270x has the same performance as a stock 280 sans the vram difference.

They can see the benchmarks and make up their mind lol.

The only advantage of the i5 is that you can get a high end gpu without issues in this case.

Athlon 860k really ? I had a phenom II which is about equivalent to that cpu and my 270x had problems in many games ... 

Got a huge fps boost on the i3...

The main thing proven here is the i3 does not bottleneck the mid/low range graphics card.

I would like to see this done with the 970 or 980, would be nice to know if the i3 bottlenecked those, like I assume it does.

Also thrown in the g3258 for fun! :D

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

I think its still relevant for someone wanting to buy a 270x / 280 gpu( or nvidia equivalent) and wanting to know what cpu to pick up intel i3 or i5.

Like i said I know for a fact my overclocked 270x has the same performance as a stock 280 sans the vram difference.

They can see the benchmarks and make up their mind lol.

The only advantage of the i5 is that you can get a high end gpu without issues in this case.

Athlon 860k really ? I had a phenom II which is about equivalent to that cpu and my 270x had problems in many games ... 

Got a huge fps boost on the i3...

yeah depends on the game for the AMD CPU, that's for sure...the i3 is great compared to it.

But if you would run a stronger GPU you would have probably felt how much stronger the core i5 really is.

The main thing proven here is the i3 does not bottleneck the mid/low range graphics card.

I would like to see this done with the 970 or 980, would be nice to know if the i3 bottlenecked those, like I assume it does.

Also thrown in the g3258 for fun! :D

you can check my youtube channel i've tested this already with my GTX 780...the pentium is a stuttery mess at the settings the GTX 780 can handle fine, the core i3 does limit the performance in many games but of course not in all of them...and in some games even the i5-4460 will limit a GTX 780 (ACU for example).

https://www.youtube.com/user/YansaG/videos

i even have videos on BF4 with the old AMD FX :)

I never said they didn't. Show me where I said a CPU isn't a utilized in games. I merely said the Graphics card will be the one rendering the frames. Hence the name Graphics Card.

Steve

yeah depends on the game for the AMD CPU, that's for sure...the i3 is great compared to it.

But if you would run a stronger GPU you would have probably felt how much stronger the core i5 really is.

Well I have seen many does the i3 bottleneck my 270x or my 960 or my 280 or my 280x.

You are over rating what people know about pcs.

If its useful for even one person it will be worth the effort and thus not useless.

Well I have seen many does the i3 bottleneck my 270x or my 960 or my 280 or my 280x.

You are over rating what people know about pcs.

If its useful for even one person it will be worth the effort and thus not useless.

useless was indeed a strong word and i've said i'm sorry...yes it's great that you've done that!..

useless was indeed a strong word and i've said i'm sorry...yes it's great that you've done that!..

I mean it speaks volumes of the community that crappy memes get tons of likes but people trying to post possibly relevant information , taking time of their day to make a presentable thread gets flamed to high hell.

I had the same reaction when I posted the intel mantle thread.

It kinda makes weary of posting any further benchmarks I do.

I very much approve! :D

I still luv my Athlon doe :P

"an obvious supporter of privacy"