Upgrade or Nah

Go to solution Solved by R_Golden,

Just upgrade now, get the cheapest which in this case is the Galax. Someone above said Galax is sketchy but actually their quite reputable and hailed for the design of their cards.

Hello World,  ;)

So the age old discussion of should I spend more money on upgrading or swallow my pride and lower my settings until the next set of Nvidia Cards.

I currently have 2 MSI 660ti's  in SLI , however they are old now , and don't have the next gen lighting or particle effects , they handle most games on a pretty high setting but the SLI has been a nightmare , and has made games stutter and lag to the point where I don't want to play them anymore , 

I know this has been due to the fact that Ubisoft and a lot of other game companies do not cater for the small amount of SLI users out there , and it makes my job hard having to go find the correct SLI bits to run things with to maybe squeeze out some extra FPS (Looking at you watchdogs) 

I have now learned that the world is simply not ready for SLI and that single card solutions are the cheaper better option in the long run , 

So I found a couple great deals , 

1st off is the Galax GeForce GTX 970 EXOC Black Edition for $409

2nd is the Galax GeForce GTX 970 HOF for $484

3rd MSI Geforce GTX 970 for $479

My question is , should I upgrade now to one of these awesome cards to get away from this SLI Nightmare?

Or should I wait it out until the cards way surpass my 660ti SLI (Next get Nvidia Cards) because currently they are not that much of an improvement (Says the internet) but I know that I cannot run Battlefield on ultra without lag , and I know that I cannot run basically any AAA title on highest without lag , including EVOLVE . 

If your suggestion is Upgrade which card do you think is best and why ? 

If your suggestion is to wait it out , how long do you think I will have to wait before the next batch of Nvidia cards come out (The 970's of the future)

Thanks a lot for helping out !

Dylan  :ph34r:

Those 660s are real old 

If your games are unplayable, then definitely upgrade now

I think you should go for the Msi 970, because galax is sketchy

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

I had a single GTX660ti and upgraded to a ASUS GTX970, runs battlefield like a dream, not sure about EVOLVE haven't played that. 970 will support DX12 so they should have a good life in them.

Those 660s are real old 

I had a single GTX660ti and upgraded to a ASUS GTX970, runs battlefield like a dream, not sure about EVOLVE haven't played that. 970 will support DX12 so they should have a good life in them.

Thanks alot guys ! I will definately look into the upgrade , or wait it out till the 1000 series :)

Just upgrade now, get the cheapest which in this case is the Galax. Someone above said Galax is sketchy but actually their quite reputable and hailed for the design of their cards.

Those 660s are real old 

Upgrade, pick the GPU you trust. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

My previous 970 ran Battlefield and Evolve maxed out at a solid 60fps.  I doubt the raw power of your cards is the problem, I'd guess it's the memory causing the problems (since memory doesn't stack in SLI).  Most current games use 3GB~ VRAM maxed out. 

If you're going to be spending that much on a 970 why not just get a single 980?

Desktop: 12900k // 128GB DDR5 // 2x 3070

Laptop: Razer Blade 15 Advanced (2022) // i9 12-900H // 64GB DDR5 // 3080 Ti

• 2 weeks later...

If you're going to be spending that much on a 970 why not just get a single 980?

Hi , How much does a 980 cost where you live ? 

Hi , How much does a 980 cost where you live ? 

I got one from Craigslist for $370 and the other from eBay for $500. USD.

Desktop: 12900k // 128GB DDR5 // 2x 3070

Laptop: Razer Blade 15 Advanced (2022) // i9 12-900H // 64GB DDR5 // 3080 Ti