[Build Log] Rampaging Titan - Update 5 - Case and Front Panel

Dimmick

I'm going to be putting this together tomorrow, super excited to see the benchmark results for it.

The purpose of this build is to provide 7680x1440 surround gaming for racing and flying simulators. I'm not 100% confident with the kind of frame-rates i will get with this but if this cant do it, nothing can, or maybe more titans? :/

Hardware:
Processor: i7-5930k with H100i cooler 2x SP120 fans in push config
RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @2800 DDR4
Mobo: Rampage 5 Extreme
GFX: 2x Titan X
PSU: Corsair HX1050
Storage 2x Samsung 840 Evo 500Gb SSD's, 1x Samsung 840 Pro 250Gb SSD
Case: Corsair 750D
Front fans: 2x AF140's
Rear fan: 1x AF120
Bottom fans: 2x AF120's

Peripherals:
Cabels: Corsair red individually sleeved power cables
Monitors: 3x ROG Swift 27"
Audio: Razer Leviathan 5.1 Sound Bar
Game Controller: Thrustmaster Wharthog HOTAS, Logitech G27 Racing Wheel, Logitech G35 Headset
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Ultimate
Mouse: Razer Ouroboros

Some of this stuff is already in place as this gaming setup has been somewhat a work in progress but im finally there!

Will post the benchmarks and images tomorrow afternoon for both stock and OC, wish me luck, I will cry if this doesn't work lol

cGtXYGs.jpg?1

s3A64ja.jpg?1

a4BPHT3.jpg?1

abmoe0c.jpg?1

Update 9th April 2015 - 21:35GMT

The initial benchmark for stock CPU settings and the H100i were very promising. Under a 50 minute stress test the temperature never went above 56 degrees on any core with the coolant holding at 33.3 degrees (Click image to enlarge)

4nioVkKh.png

The current stable overclock is 4.5Ghz, 1Ghz over base clock speed and a 25% overall performance increase. This was achieved through disabling any turbo features due to voltage variations when using turbo. Im fairly confident that 4.6 and 4.7 are achievable with this particular chip.

The max temperature achieved was 74 degrees under a 50 minute stress test which defiantly leaves room for high clock speeds.

57bRxoch.png

Please do give your thoughts on any OC improvements you think could be made.

Update 10th April 2015 - 09:30GMT

A sight in its own right...

5ZdzUdRh.jpg

Update 10th April 2015 - 14:28GMT

x1zmUNbh.jpg?1

dQwfcxgh.jpg

Well this was something I wasn't expecting, the GFX card is sitting on the SATA ports, good job they are horizontal ports! The card is properly secured but there is contact there.

D0WuFeDh.jpg?1

With the ROG Swifts unpacked and set up, its time to do some quick benchmarking on stock settings. I will post the results shortly.

LmThBR4h.jpg

Update 4 - Benchmarking and testing

As a base level I will be using Firestrike Ultra 1.1 with all stock setting on this rig. I will then proceed to over-clock both the CPU and GPU's until a stable and sustainable overclock is found. Then I will run various benchmarks including another Firestrike Ultra 1.1 for comparison.

Firestrike Ultra 1.1 4k on Stock Settings

A score of 7027 was achieved on stock settings. for comparison my overclocked 970 SLI score comes in at 5285 on the same test. Both tests can be viewed on the link below:

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/4533489/fs/4549613

CPU Overclock

For the purposes of this being a test of Titan performance and not CPU performance I have used the Rampage 5's "6 Core Gaming" preset in the bios. This is approximately a 25% performance increase.

oPiCHH2h.png

Pushing a Titan Overclock

Nvidia have stated that they believe any Titan X can get a 40% base overclock with the reference cooler so our target is to get a 1400MHz boost clock speed. With the memory frequency I will take what ever I can get.

After hours of trial and error I managed to get a stable overclock of 1262 base clock and 1336 boost clock (wish it was 1337 lol) Details below:

eIOydizl.png

The issue became thermal throttling, if I pushed it towards the 1400 base it would just throttle. The ambient temperature is a little warm here today which may have been a factor but this OC is very stable and overall i am pretty happy with it although I will continue to push it further as time goes on.

Firestrike Ultra 1.1 4k OC

With these setting I achieved a whopping score of 8668

Comparison of stock vs OC http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/4549613/fs/4550240

Metro: Last light benchmark

The setting used for this test are in the image below.

SNTsTecl.png

This test really surprised me when I saw the graph at the end. This is where G-Sync shines when frame rates were so variable I really couldn't notice it.

hhC9nRjh.png

I have included a video of this benchmark running just because it was quite the experience on 3 27" monitors.

Unigine Valley

An absolutely stunning thing to see on this setup with better than expected results:

XbWmbSCl.jpg

Full size view (click to enlarge):

wGuEStnl.jpg

And the results:

LxwwAkol.jpg

Gaming Experiences

Titanfall

Average FPS: 80

Low: 70

High: 120

On a side note when you are in the Titan the wrap around of the cockpit looks amazing.

1jXGHcO.jpg

TXjk6ii.jpg

Elite: Dangerous

What an experience, again due to the size of the monitors this will pretty much give you motion sickness but man its fun to fly like this!

Min FPS: 90

Max FPS: 120

Average FPS: 100

UqUqY1w.jpg

fi0gBf2.jpg

G5kSy5z.jpg

Ak2TNCw.jpg

qLLhtby.jpg

Conclusion

At the beginning of this project I was concerned with running a resolution of 7680x1440 and maxing out the graphics settings in games but the reality was the opposite and left me wanting for even higher detail settings. You may notice that I have left Anti-aliasing off in the tests, personally at 1440p i could barley tell the difference whilst gaming, it was only apparent that it was off from taking screenshots and trying to find the jagged edges, it may well be game specific though.

The G-Sync effect on triple monitors is simply outstanding and hitting over 100 FPS in games was just not a big deal at all.

I will continue to test other games but I have to say that this setup, my dream machine, is simply the best gaming experience I have ever had and was worth every penny invested.

If anyone would like me to test a specific game please let me know and I will add it to the post.

DBLElpN.jpg

FksqJev.jpg

3y3SiDH.jpg

Update 29th April 2015

Have replaced the case with a Corsair Air 540

vDkJ65Gh.jpg

Added the ROG front panel

LNdw7duh.jpg

And did a general tidy of the inside

iHPPHV6h.jpg

You may want to slap another titan x in there later on perhaps, this guy had FOUR Titan's and a 3930k @ 5 ghz and could barely get 60 FPS in AAA games from awhile ago.  ( If you want to run ultra, you may need that extra card to get over 60 and use those swifts)

http://www.overclock.net/t/1415441/7680x1440-benchmarks-plus-2-3-4-way-sli-gk110-scaling

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Hope too see some more pics tomorrow

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

You may want to slap another titan x in there later on perhaps, this guy had FOUR Titan's and a 3930k @ 5 ghz and could barely get 60 FPS in AAA games from awhile ago.  ( If you want to run ultra, you may need that extra card to get over 60 and use those swifts)

http://www.overclock.net/t/1415441/7680x1440-benchmarks-plus-2-3-4-way-sli-gk110-scaling

Yeah, im kinda prepared that it might need a 3rd one, although that guy is using Titan Z's i think not X's

Yeah, im kinda prepared that it might need a 3rd one, although that guy is using Titan Z's i think not X's

They're just titans, so he's basically using Tri SLI 780s.

I wouldn't worry about it, Two Titan X ought to be enough

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

No he's using the first Titan's.

They're just titans, so he's basically using Tri SLI 780s.

I wouldn't worry about it, Two Titan X ought to be enough

The 780 was slower than the Titan..

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

No he's using the first Titan's.

The 780 was slower than the Titan..

Not by much, they were the same card. The titan was just w/ double precision and more memory IIRC. They literally have the same PCB and used the same coolers

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Not by much, they were the same card. The titan was just w/ double precision and more memory IIRC. They literally have the same PCB and used the same coolers:and more memory IIRC. They literally have the same PCB and used the same coolers

I had a Titan, and 2 780's.  The titan is like 10% faster.  It has more cuda cores, the 780 was a cut down titan.

Holy crap dude, that's an amazing machine!

By the way, do you know if it's still like it was for the 700 series where a GPU could only use G-sync for one monitor apiece? I know there's more DP ports on the Titan X, but I hate to tell you that there's a small possibility with hardware/software stuff that requires you to get another Titan X for triple G-sync.

My PC: MSI X99s SLI PLUS///Intel i7 5820k///Corsair H100i///Crucial DDR4 12GB///EVGA Supernova Gold 750w G2///ASUS GTX 1080 Strix///Phanteks Enthoo Luxe///Intel 730 240GB SSD///WD Blue 1TB///Intel 6250 WiFi
Current Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598///Corsair K70 LUX///Logitech MX Master///Razer Destructor 2///Saitek X52///Acer X34 Predator

Holy crap dude, that's an amazing machine!

By the way, do you know if it's still like it was for the 700 series where a GPU could only use G-sync for one monitor apiece? I know there's more DP ports on the Titan X, but I hate to tell you that there's a small possibility with hardware/software stuff that requires you to get another Titan X for triple G-sync.

G-Sync will work across all 3 monitors under surround according to the calculator tool on the nvidia site.

Calculator Tool

Edit: sorry i see what your getting at here, i will look into it. Nothing like a £1000 mistake lol

Edit: Linus says its fine  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXM1TJzi2oI

You should be completely fine if Linus is running those games that well with 2x 970's (which is roughly equal to 1 titan x) =)

Intel Core i7-4790K // Corsair H100i // MSI Z97A-GAMING 6 // 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133Mhz (Red) // OCZ ARC 100 120GB SSD // 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD // 2x Asus GTX 970 STRIX(2-Way SLI) // Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) // Corsair RM 1000W // Asus DVD/CD Writer // Windows 8.1

I'm running the same rig, only 5960x instead, and I'm getting 40's to 90's FPS in world of tanks, running x3 ROG Swifts. It is an amazing experience. I may, however, add a third Titan X just to bump up past 60 fps.

And don't worry, Gsync works on all three monitors.

I'm running the same rig, only 5960x instead, and I'm getting 40's to 90's FPS in world of tanks, running x3 ROG Swifts. It is an amazing experience. I may, however, add a third Titan X just to bump up past 60 fps.

And don't worry, Gsync works on all three monitors.

This pleases me, how am i going to sleep tonight!

Performance issues in this system in gpu rendering won't be the gpu or the dual Titan X's but the ram. 16gb is 8gb below the min recommended from Nvidia for a single Titan x.

Performance issues in this system in gpu rendering won't be the gpu or the dual Titan X's but the ram. 16gb is 8gb below the min recommended from Nvidia for a single Titan x.

Odd in the manual for a Titan X it says 2-4 GB and on the product sheet it says 16 or greater recommended. Don't know why it would need lots of system memory. Where do you read that

Edit: clarifications - min ram is 8 recommended is 16, the 24gig thing was just another nvidia communications fail

Can you discuss more how your cooling system works (or show some pictures)?  Also, are you overclocking?

Very interested in this. How noisy are the titans? 

Are you going to play Elite: Dangerous by any chance? Would LOVE to see the performance on that. 

Very interested in this. How noisy are the titans? 

Are you going to play Elite: Dangerous by any chance? Would LOVE to see the performance on that. 

Noise wise i will let you know, they arrive in about 2 hours! I might do a video of the setup so that you can see how its running. Elite: Dangerous is a big part of this build!

Can you discuss more how your cooling system works (or show some pictures)?  Also, are you overclocking?

There will be much overclocking going on for sure! I will get some pics up of the cooling shortly, initially I will be just using a h100i on the CPU and leaving the Titans on stock until i can gather some stats on how its all working.

Noise wise i will let you know, they arrive in about 2 hours! I might do a video of the setup so that you can see how its running. Elite: Dangerous is a big part of this build!

Excellent - can't wait to see how it goes. 

I have updated the main post with my progress so far, getting down to statistics and some gaming benchmarks in the next update,

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME??????? I CANT STOP DROOLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can tell you I have spent a lot of time today just looking at it.

Something in the picture of the Swifts...Change your Calendar :D  

Something in the picture of the Swifts...Change your Calendar :D

It reflects my organisational skills. Also you will notice the humping monkeys in the picture?