Playing video on my second monitor makes my 144hz monitor lag.

DaxTee

Whenever I play video on my 60hz Second monitor the first one starts to lag and become choppy in games. If I minimize the video but keep it running it fixes it so its not performance I don't believe.

And ive plugged the 2nd monitor into my gpu instead of the mobo and its still the same.

What can I do to fix this thanks.

Mate

i don't know why it does it when you have it plug in to the gpu but having the 2nd monitor plug in to the mobo will play the game on your cpu's interrogated graphics and not you gpu 

i don't know why it does it when you have it plug in to the gpu but having the 2nd monitor plug in to the mobo will play the game on your cpu's interrogated graphics and not you gpu 

no i still get same fps i know that

Mate

This happens to me as well. If I play a video on the second screen, my game's fps would drop. If I play my game while the video plays, the video fps drops.

I don't think there's a way arounf this unless you switch off hardware acceleration. Never done it before tho so I don't know if it'll work.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

set you refresh rate to 60hz on both monitors, probably won't work but try it

I think one with 60hz ond other with 120hz will work fine.

It was the same.

Mate

From what I've researched so far, if your desktop is not a surround desktop, the gpu will render only on the screen that has your active application on.

So when you click on your video in the second screen, it gives priority to the second screen and your game's framerates drop and vice versa.

I could be wrong tho. I hope I am because I want smooth video playback and high game fps too.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

From what I've researched so far, if your desktop is not a surround desktop, the gpu will render only on the screen that has your active application on.

So when you click on your video in the second screen, it gives priority to the second screen and your game's framerates drop and vice versa.

I could be wrong tho. I hope I am because I want smooth video playback and high game fps too.

I play games on my 144Hz panel and play videos on my 60Hz panel at the same time - no issues.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

no the video is still smooth , and i still get the same fps

Mate

I play games on my 144Hz panel and play videos on my 60Hz panel at the same time - no issues.

do you have them both plugged into the gpu, nvidia/amd?

Mate

That's weird.

How do you guys do it? I always get framerate drops when I switch my active application. And both my screens are 60Hz too.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

That's weird.

How do you guys do it? I always get framerate drops when I switch my active application. And both my screens are 60Hz too.

still havent found a fix

Mate

Whenever I play video on my 60hz Second monitor the first one starts to lag and become choppy in games. If I minimize the video but keep it running it fixes it so its not performance I don't believe.

And ive plugged the 2nd monitor into my gpu instead of the mobo and its still the same.

It's cause you basically "alt-tab" out.. Solution might be configuring both displays as one and gaming in windowed frameless..

It's cause you basically "alt-tab" out.. Solution might be configuring both displays as one and gaming in windowed frameless..

windowed frameless didnt change anything

Mate

I think it has something to do with windows/directX just not being able to run a high framerate window along with any more than a few other simple windows like afterburner or something else with not much movement. Chrome seems to especially tank your FPS, even with just a static image up. The best solution I found was just to suck it up and minimize most of my other windows.

I think it has something to do with windows/directX just not being able to run a high framerate window along with any more than a few other simple windows like afterburner or something else with not much movement. Chrome seems to especially tank your FPS, even with just a static image up. The best solution I found was just to suck it up and minimize most of my other windows.

the fps doesnt differ though

Mate

The only solution I've found that works is to run games (whenever possible) in borderless window mode.

• 1 year later...

Have you found a solution for this? I'm having the same issue. FPS stays the same on the 144hz monitor but is laggy when a video/livestream is on the 60hz monitor.

You've tried disabling Hardware acceleration right? That worked for my google chrome but not for my Vivaldi browser, as Vivaldi seems to lag on the lower refresh monitor regardless of what I do. If your using an Nvidia card you can also try setting multi-display/mixed display acceleration and see if that does anything (I have no idea what it really does). On my other setup with 2 R9 390 I couldn't find a work around for the lag so I just had to deal with it or just close the browser, maybe it's just how the way AMD handles multimonitor or maybe there is a setting and I just couldn't find it.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

• 3 years later...
On 4/9/2015 at 9:50 AM, DaxTee said:

I turned off vertical sync in the game and it fixed the issue