Learning Front end developing. I'm a complete beginner!

Beat

Hello fellow PC comrades, 

Recently I just started learning programming and want to focus on front end based projects in the future.
I know I should learn the following three languages first: HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.

Question is..how? I use a bunch of online sources available on this forum and outside. I tried Codecademy, but the way their courses are designed aren't beginner friendly.
At the moment I'm still browsing and found teamtreehouse to be very helpful for beginners.

What would you guys recommend? online learning resource wise for beginners hoping to become intermediate in this subject with the next few months.
Also, what else should I learn also? framework wise and such.

Case: NZXT. s340 | PSU: Corsair GS700 | Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | GPU: EVGA GTX 560 | CPU: AMD FX-8320 8-core @ 3.5Ghz | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i (upgrading to this soon) | RAM: 2 x 4 Corsair Vengeance pronDDR3 DRAM 1866MHz

Lynda.com, best place for beginners

ACS Systems - Jason Neal

My "Danger Den" PC: i7-4960x @ 4.5Ghz, ASUS X79 Deluxe, 3x GTX Titan Black, 6x m4 512GB, 64GB Corsair DDR3-2400, Corsair AX1500i

Black Beauty Workstation/LAN PC: i5-4570 @ 3.79 GHz, ASRock Z87E-ITX, XFX Double D R9-280 (Non-X), GSkill 8GB DDR3-2400

I would start with W3 Schools. By the way, although semantics maybe, but CSS isn't a programming language.

HTML

CSS

JavaScript

PHP

jQuery

You can also find many YouTube videos, but as stated above, Lynda.com is an excellent resource (although they provide some "free" videos for each of their courses, you might be able to find some of those locked courses on YouTube channels).

Take your time learning the basics. I think too many people want to jump to level 5 without properly learning the previous levels. It's a good idea to give yourself a project to implement what you just learned. This helps to keep learning in terms of working examples instead of just learning by the book.

I would start with W3 Schools. By the way, although semantics maybe, but CSS isn't a programming language.

HTML

CSS

JavaScript

PHP

jQuery

You can also find many YouTube videos, but as stated above, Lynda.com is an excellent resource (although they provide some "free" videos for each of their courses, you might be able to find some of those locked courses on YouTube channels).

Take your time learning the basics. I think too many people want to jump to level 5 without properly learning the previous levels. It's a good idea to give yourself a project to implement what you just learned. This helps to keep learning in terms of working examples instead of just learning by the book.

Both CSS and HTML are not programming languages they are styling and markup languages.

I suggest you start with Node.js.

Multiple teachers of mine say PHP will be obsolete in the near future.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

Learn basic HTML/CSS and than continue with C# or Python and maybe Javascript later on.

Both CSS and HTML are not programming languages they are styling and markup languages.

Why would you suggest starting with node.js? he said he is wanting to start with front end projects and languages. so HTML, CSS and JavaScript, yet you suggest a server sided adaption of JavaScript?

Also i don't see PHP becoming obsolete anytime in the near future as over 200 million websites use it, including facebook and this very site you are on now.

Wishful thinking. It'll be around for a fair bit longer, despite being a joke language.

Actually, all three are "languages"; CSS is not a "programming" language. It was not clear to me that the OP actually classified HTML, CSS, or JavaScript as a "programming" language, so that's why I only mentioned CSS like I did.

That's a big leap from just beginning to learn basic HTML to a server-side application. If anything, the OP would need to learn JavaScript first (not to mention what @AtlasComputers said).

Not close. Even learnings of Advanced Basic and ForTran are still in practice, and those are old as dirt.

Why would you suggest starting with node.js? he said he is wanting to start with front end projects and languages. so HTML, CSS and JavaScript, yet you suggest a server sided adaption of JavaScript?

Also i don't see PHP becoming obsolete anytime in the near future as over 200 million websites use it, including facebook and this very site you are on now.

What he said ^^^.

Wishful thinking. It'll be around for a fair bit longer, despite being a joke language.

Why do you say it is a joke language?

Probably the most comprehensive and accurate explanation of everything wrong with PHP you'll find anywhere: http://eev.ee/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/

In short, what PHP doesn't borrow from other languages is poorly designed, and what it does borrow is the usually the worst parts, badly implemented.

Hey thanks for the replies everyone, definitely will take all you guys suggestions into consideration after I get a better understand of HTML/CSS/JS.

So far as to my progress of learing, I found Codeschool and teamtreehouse really helpful. Only after learning from these two sites Codecademy made sense.
Lynda.com I've yet to try although Linus media always advertise for them.

Case: NZXT. s340 | PSU: Corsair GS700 | Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | GPU: EVGA GTX 560 | CPU: AMD FX-8320 8-core @ 3.5Ghz | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i (upgrading to this soon) | RAM: 2 x 4 Corsair Vengeance pronDDR3 DRAM 1866MHz

Hey thanks for the replies everyone, definitely will take all you guys suggestions into consideration after I get a better understand of HTML/CSS/JS.

So far as to my progress of learing, I found Codeschool and teamtreehouse really helpful. Only after learning from these two sites Codecademy made sense.

Team Treehouse and Lynda.com are both similarly priced and both solid resources. If you're already using Treehouse and like it, then I would stick with it. Of the two, it's the one I would personally pick for learning beginner web design/development.

Feel free to give Lynda.com's 10 day free trial a go though. No harm in that! If you want to support Linus Media Group use offer codes wanshow or techquickie.

Did you look at W3 Schools?