Best Virus Software

Nexo

What is the best virus software out there that is free? My friend told me to download something and I did and I have a feeling that it's a virus because after I downloaded it. He kept on talking about how he RAT people's computer. 

anti-malware best is well, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

anti-virus there's a lot, I use my brain personally.

edit: and I have premium anti-malwarebytes which has an active anti-virus built into it.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

Bitdefender and Malwarebytes both free and good.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

I only have malwarebytes on my PC currently. Debating on whether or not to install the anti virus that came with my mobo...

Specs:

Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz cooled by Corsair H80i | ASUS Maximus VII Formula |  G.Skill 8 GB (2 x 4GB) 2133 | EVGA 980 Superclocked (Fry) | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro OS Drive | WD Black HDD | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | Corsair Vengeance K70 | Logitech G502 Proteus Core

lol @ AMD 8350

I think we really need a sticky on this, or recommend software in general.  I feel like this question is asked too much.

That aside:

For free AV you should either get Avira or Bitdefender.  Bitdefender is more lightweight, but it doesn't give you many options in terms of control or how it works.

If you want a paid one then either Bitdefender or Kaspersky.  I would probably go with Kaspersky just for the fact that their team has found a lot of security issues in the past.  You can also check out AVTEST, a third-party company that rates AVs.  (Bitdefender and Kaspersky are the top 2)

You will also want to scan your computer weekly, or whatever amount of time you are comfortable with,  with Malwarebytes.  Just to be clear, Malwarebytes is NOT an AV, nor should it be used like one.  So do not run it along side your AV, only use it is a scanner.  Make sure to not accept the trial it offers, and to disable it on startup.

Malwarebytes... Hands Down....

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5 CPU: INTEL G4400 CASE: DIYPC-SOLO-T1-R 

HDD: 160GB SEAGATE SSD: 128GB SAMSUNG PRO 850

POWER SUPPLY: 550W ANTEC

I think we really need a sticky on this, or recommend software in general. I feel like this question is asked too much.

That aside:

For free AV you should either get Avira or Bitdefender. Bitdefender is more lightweight, but it doesn't give you many options in terms of control or how it works.

If you want a paid one then either Bitdefender or Kaspersky. I would probably go with Kaspersky just for the fact that their team has found a lot of security issues in the past. You can also check out AVTEST, a third-party company that rates AVs. (Bitdefender and Kaspersky are the top 2)

You will also want to scan your computer weekly, or whatever amount of time you are comfortable with, with Malwarebytes. Just to be clear, Malwarebytes is NOT an AV, nor should it be used like one. So do not run it along side your AV, only use it is a scanner. Make sure to not accept the trial it offers, and to disable it on startup.

For Malwarebytes I accepted the free trial to premium. Is that bad? Should I uninstall and reinstall?

For Malwarebytes I accepted the free trial to premium. Is that bad? Should I uninstall and reinstall?

There's nothing wrong with MalwareBytes Premium. At the end of the trial, it will switch you back to the Free version. It doesn't install anything else, but activate the Premium features already included but deactivated in the Free version.

id defiantly spend the 30$ for kaspersky...totally worth it for people who have no idea what they are doing on a computer

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Antiviruses and antimalware software is really unnecessary. Like every has said so far, have common sense.

{PC} i5 4690 | Gigabyte R9 290 | Asus H97-Plus | 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury | CM Hyper 212 Evo | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB | Adata SX900 256GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB TT 650W Smart Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed

{Audio} Ear/Headphones: HiFiMAN HE-400, Westone 4R, Shure SE535 Amp: Little Dot MKIII, Fiio E11 Dac: LIttle Dot Dac II

Antiviruses and antimalware software is really unnecessary. Like every has said so far, have common sense.

As mentionned many times over this forum, it depends. If you are the only one using your computer and you are careful, yes common sense is good.

However, my family uses my computer including the kids. Therefore, I prefer to have some kind of protection in case they click everywhere and install something bad.

Your common sense.  And Malwarebytes, if your common sense let you down.

Never post in another one of these threads please, common sense is the stupidest suggestion ever.

Read what happened with puush a few weeks back and tell me how your common sense would protect you against that

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Never post in another one of these threads please, common sense is the stupidest suggestion ever.

Read what happened with puush a few weeks back and tell me how your common sense would protect you against that

Somewhat of an attack, and I wasn't the only one (Nuluvius) recommending common sense...

I did recommend Malwarebytes, for when your common sense lets you down.

sold

Somewhat of an attack, and I wasn't the only one (Nuluvius) recommending common sense...

I did recommend Malwarebytes, for when your common sense lets you down.

I know but on mobile so multi quoting seemed like too much effort.

Malwarebytes is not an av and if you're doing any kind of work on your pc then you need something

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I know but on mobile so multi quoting seemed like too much effort.

Malwarebytes is not an av and if you're doing any kind of work on your pc then you need something

Yes indeed like an upgrade to your common sense for instance  :lol:

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I think the best virus software out there currently is cryptolocker

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15