Need Help Deciding!

Nerdsauce
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Ok so this is what i came up with. You have psu, gpu, ram and hdd. 4 parts subracted. Any case at 29 pounds is good. Core i5 4670k for cpu is the best for gaming and vector work so go with it at arround 190 pounds. For mobo any z87 from MSI at 95 pounds is good. I recommend g43 atx. And hyper 212 plus for cooler is good. And any dvd drive is also, and you actually dont need it. It goes on 350 pounds. Is that good for you?

Hey Guys,

My computer recently died, and I've been looking to purchase a replacement. I only have a rather small, very tight budget (£360 max) - but I do need the computer to at least be able to do what I was using the now-dead one for, which is mainly graphic work (vector illustration, web design etc) and gaming (Skyrim, GTA IV, Far Cry 3, Battlefield 3).

I have come up with two suggestions that are right on the edge of my budget, but it's giving me a headache trying to decide between them! I'm wondering if you guys can help me decide which is better for my money (there's not much between them), or perhaps even suggest something better?

Here's the options:

a) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OCHW-FAST-DUAL-CORE-GAMING-PC-COMPUTER-AMD-A6-6400K-4-1-8GB-HD-8470D-1TB-WIN8-/200930965896?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item2ec86b3988

b) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OCHW-AMD-3-9GHZ-QUAD-CORE-ATI-3000-1TB-8GB-HOME-GAMING-COMPUTER-PC-USB3-WINDOWS8-/181172393348?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item2a2eb75584

The computer is to replace my dead one, which had the following specs:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E5500 @ 2.80GHz

PSU: G7 Modular Power Extreme 850W

GPU: KFA2 GeForce GTX 570

RAM: PNY 4GB DDR3 (don't know speed)

Motherboard: H-I41-uATX (Eton/EtonL)

Hard Drive: Samsung 1.5TB SATA 3GB/s

I still have the hard drive, RAM, graphics card and power supply. I also have the case, but it was designed around the motherboard that came with it, so I don't think I can fit a new motherboard inside (plus, the cooling options are non-existant). Any help you guys can give me would be gratefully received and appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Nerdsauce (David)

Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant - Mitchell Kapor

Humans - digital processing units installed in analogue casings....and we wonder why there's so many driver errors and compatibility issues.

http://i.imgur.com/P1xMQEa.png?1

I'm sorry but both of these are pretty terrible options, neither of them even have a discrete GPU. You would get much much better performance out of it if you assemble it yourself. Let us know if you need help picking parts.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I am looking at parts to build a good solution for your money.  Im gettin into it

Well I'm more than happy to use the GTX 570 I still have. The other problem I'm facing is I need the computer to come with an OS. I have a DVD copy of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, however because I used it on my previous computer I'm not sure that I can register it on the replacement I need to buy.

Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant - Mitchell Kapor

Humans - digital processing units installed in analogue casings....and we wonder why there's so many driver errors and compatibility issues.

Ok so this is what i came up with. You have psu, gpu, ram and hdd. 4 parts subracted. Any case at 29 pounds is good. Core i5 4670k for cpu is the best for gaming and vector work so go with it at arround 190 pounds. For mobo any z87 from MSI at 95 pounds is good. I recommend g43 atx. And hyper 212 plus for cooler is good. And any dvd drive is also, and you actually dont need it. It goes on 350 pounds. Is that good for you?

You can also go with fx 6300 cpu which is 100 pounds less. When you get that cpu you dont need expensive motherboard, maybe 40 pounds less than z87 mobo. Now were talking savings here

you may still be able to use the copy of windows you have as the motherboard broke and you need to replace it.  I have done that before with another computer that fried 1 month out of warrantee.  I activated on the phone and all was good.  So long as you have a legit cd key and the software is not on another computer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

you may still be able to use the copy of windows you have as the motherboard broke and you need to replace it.  I have done that before with another computer that fried 1 month out of warrantee.  I activated on the phone and all was good.  So long as you have a legit cd key and the software is not on another computer.

+1 on this, usually a phone call sorts things out.

As for everything else, yeah buy a case motherboard and CPU and you are good to go. If you buy one of those pre-built systems of eBay then you are pretty much pissing away your money. I would have a hard time believing its a legit copy of windows and the power supply and case on those are going to be very poor quality.

You should be able to pick up a really decent CPU/mobo combo and case for £350.

Get a system with a quad core, I don't think it's worth it to get a dual core and a good gfx card. Balance it out, get a cheap ass quad core with yours GTX 570. NEVER GO FOR 2 CORES

AMD FX 8350, ASUS GTX 770 DirectCUII, ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0, CORSAIR TX 750, CORSAIR VEANGENCE BLACK 8GB'S 1600Mhz, Hyper 212 evo, Aerocool Strike-X GT, Crucial M4 128GB SSD, Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Asus CrapReader 

Take this: 

And if you would spend just 40£ more (400£) you would get this, which is awesome!: 

Would this be a good bundle to get? - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Core-I5-4670K-3-8Ghz-Asus-Z87-K-Haswell-Motherboard-4GB-Pc-Bundle-/121121034094?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item1c33604f6e

I could then get this case - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CIT-Vantage-Grey-ATX-PC-Gaming-Computer-Case-Purple-Led-Fans-Card-Reader-/370840451452?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopComponents_RL&hash=item5657d0397c

Both from the same supplier, comes within my budget and I can use the graphics card, power supply and hard drive I already have.

I'll just have to hope Microsoft customer service will be kind to me and allow me to register my Windows 7 copy on the new build (the motherboard it was registered too is destroyed, so that should help, right?).

Ok this is what my ebay basket currently looks like:

MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, Intel Z87, S 1150, DDR3, SATA III, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16)

Intel Core i5 4670K, S 1150, Haswell, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo, 1200MHz G

CIT Vantage Grey ATX PC Gaming Computer Case + Purple Led Fans & Card Reader

Total Price: £351.02 (including shipping cost)

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

Ok this is what my ebay basket currently looks like:

MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, Intel Z87, S 1150, DDR3, SATA III, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16)

Intel Core i5 4670K, S 1150, Haswell, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo, 1200MHz G

CIT Vantage Grey ATX PC Gaming Computer Case + Purple Led Fans & Card Reader

Total Price: £351.02 (including shipping cost)

Yes, get this, and use the PSU, GPU, RAM, and HDD that you already have and you should be ready to go!

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

Ok, it's done. I bought the items that were listed in my ebay basket just above. Total cost £351.02 - should be with me in a few days. I'll re-use most of the parts I managed to save from my old computer and give Microsoft a call see if they will let me register my copy of Windows 7 on the new machine. Thank you SO much to all of you who gave me advice, I was totally lost in the maze of options! LOL

I'd especially like to thank MarthiniL for his invaluable advice. You guys all rock!  :D

he already has half his parts....

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

he already has half his parts....

ouuppss :p

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight