Unreal engine 4 bullet physics

Cactu

before you read this, some context. i am developing a game in unreal 4. i am very new to game development. this is my idea and i need help.

so i am very new to unreal and i have hopes to make a basic FPS. the only goal that i am trying to acheive is to make every bullet an entity with real time object penetration that effects the bullet. i also woild like the angle of impact and the thickness of the object to be factored in aswell. hance when the bullet goes through an object i would like a visible bullet hole that can be seen through. also if an objects sustains too many holes it will colapse (i know how to work the destruction editor).

thanks for the feedback

''basic fps''

wants to re-create battlefield

I have no idea how to do that though. iv rarely worked with 3d games.  if someday you need test subjects... im ready :P

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

''basic fps''

wants to re-create battlefield

I have no idea how to do that though. iv rarely worked with 3d games.  if someday you need test subjects... im ready :P

The bullet physics would be more like arma and the game mode would be more like rainbow six siege but still.... Not basic

Learn to walk before you run. If you are just starting, don't worry about these super difficult specific things. Focus on finishing a game first.
Extra credits did a great series on getting started building you first game:

Well, for angle calculation, you can use normals of the triangles in a model and compare it to the direction of a bullet. World of Tanks uses similar idea, look up some info about their mechanics.

To make visible bullet holes through thick objects you'd have to look at the boolean tool in 3d modelling (can be found in e.g 3ds max.

to get the collapse, you can store coordinates of each hit and check for enough holes around the last one.

There probably are more physically accurate methods of doing it, but there's one rule of game development to remember, if mechanics are equally broken for all players, it's fair game.

Learn to walk before you run. If you are just starting, don't worry about these super difficult specific things. Focus on finishing a game first.

Extra credits did a great series on getting started building you first game:

Da-da-da dabble post!

While I agree, done people enjoy deep waters first.

Id day that instead of forcing yourself to work on the boring, generic coding (compared to the exciting land of creative game dev), look at tutorials for the basic stuff like classes, object oriented design etc and work them into your complex project.

I've worked on hardware instanced controllable tanks 3 times, each time approaching from a different angle as i learned more. Maybe it was tedious, or maybe i learned different methods of doing the same thing.

One thing for sure, expect dozens of tabs of stack overflow, and pulling your hair several times because of a typo or bad naming.