unreal engine 4 idea help

Cactu

before you read this, some context. i am developing a game in unreal 4. i am very new to game development. this is my idea and i need help.

so i am very new to unreal and i have hopes to make a basic FPS. the only goal that i am trying to acheive is to make every bullet an entity with real time object penetration that effects the bullet. i also woild like the angle of impact and the thickness of the object to be factored in aswell. hance when the bullet goes through an object i would like a visible bullet hole that can be seen through. also if an objects sustains too many holes it will colapse (i know how to work the destruction editor).
thanks for the feedback

@Atmos ?

before you read this, some context. i am developing a game in unreal 4. i am very new to game development. this is my idea and i need help.

so i am very new to unreal and i have hopes to make a basic FPS. the only goal that i am trying to acheive is to make every bullet an entity with real time object penetration that effects the bullet. i also woild like the angle of impact and the thickness of the object to be factored in aswell. hance when the bullet goes through an object i would like a visible bullet hole that can be seen through. also if an objects sustains too many holes it will colapse (i know how to work the destruction editor).

thanks for the feedback

A lot of that could be done within nvidia Physx. As for bullet pen and angle calculation, that is almost definitely gonna be custom.

The holes could be done with a similar system to the new damage model in Star Citizen. 

If you linearly interpolation the texture and a transparency together (A and B in mat editor in UE4) and drive it with a map that is black apart from the hole. The hole would be white causing the lerp to give a transparent hole.

There are other ways of doing this. But this is probably the most power efficient(easiest to run) way.

A lot of that could be done within nvidia Physx. As for bullet pen and angle calculation, that is almost definitely gonna be custom.

The holes could be done with a similar system to the new damage model in Star Citizen. 

If you linearly interpolation the texture and a transparency together (A and B in mat editor in UE4) and drive it with a map that is black apart from the hole. The hole would be white causing the lerp to give a transparent hole.

There are other ways of doing this. But this is probably the most power efficient(easiest to run) way.

ok i have some questions.

what do you mean custom

how would i use physx

can you go more in depth on how to acheive this in ue4 because im a noob

Do you know how to program? Design software? Generally solve problems and do complex math?

Do you know how to program? Design software? Generally solve problems and do complex math?

that last part yes, and while i am not a noob to programming i am not very good either

Also how would I replicate the star citezen system?

Maybe I'm misapprehending your purpose here, but it sounds like you'd be more cut out as the producer of this game, not the developer. Asking how to replicate mature gaming engines on internet forums is not going to get you far towards a functioning anything. Better to do some kind of kickstarter and hire a dev or two who actually have some concept of how to implement what you want. Otherwise, you're probably looking at months if not years of study before you even get near the development stage.

Maybe I'm misapprehending your purpose here, but it sounds like you'd be more cut out as the producer of this game, not the developer. Asking how to replicate mature gaming engines on internet forums is not going to get you far towards a functioning anything. Better to do some kind of kickstarter and hire a dev or two who actually have some concept of how to implement what you want. Otherwise, you're probably looking at months if not years of study before you even get near the development stage.

Going on kickstarter with your first game? That's a horrible plan. No matter how great your idea for a could be, if you don't have any prior experience to show, no one will give two shits about you. Build up a nice portfolio first if what you are capable of before even thinking about that.

Going on kickstarter with your first game? That's a horrible plan. No matter how great your idea for a could be, if you don't have any prior experience to show, no one will give two shits about you. Build up a nice portfolio first if what you are capable of before even thinking about that.

It's a great plan, and great advice.

Also how would I replicate the star citezen system?

Star Citizen seems to use a multiple linear interpolates, or something similar, between the layers of diffuses (and almost definitely speculars,roughness,normals,etc) it uses for the ship. There would be 3 layers in the case of Star Citizen, and I would say each one is a full material in it's own right.

These would be along the lines of;

1. Ship Texture

2. Burnt Texture

3. Inside Hull Texture

By adjusting location and strength of the interpolation you show different textures at different locations. This would be my guess as to what Star Citizen is doing as I've had a similar effect working using interpolation of diffuse and normal maps. Star Citizen also looks like has its inside hull texture UV driven by camera location, this would explain the inner hull texture looks like it is under the normal texture and has depth. As the ships take damage from energy, the hit location glows red and fades out to a scorched mark. Projectile weapons cause a "hole" through the outer texture and show the inner texture which has some nice depth tricks to look like it is under the other texture.

You will need to calculate how to interpolate based on location. Getting the location of the impact will be interesting and will probably require a considerable amount of work. The mesh will need to be UV wrapped and you'll need to get the location of the impact. From there, you can get the coordinates on the UV that maps to the affected area and use those coordinates to drive the interpolation of the alpha channel (Transparency).

The nice thing about this way of doing are that the lighting engine should shine dynamic light through the holes (Kinda like the sign in the "The Division" trailer) and the interpolates are not hard for on a GPU, so it's actually a pretty lightweight shader.

i do have to say that i am only 14 so im not going to be putting anything out there anytime soon. i would like to minor in software engineering in college though and i am also thinking of taking classes now. while i dont plan to finish anything in the near future, its nice to get an idea of what im diving into.