X99 vs Z97

Intel i7-4790K vs Intel i7-5820k

I have searched in the forum but I did not found an answer that would shut up my doubts. I know the 4790K is faster because it's 4GHz and the other one is just 3.3GHz but it has 6 Cores?

Before you ask it's for gaming and a little bit of video editing. I want as much futureproof as possible so wich way it's better for gaming and future proof? Also what about the Xeon 1231 V3?

4790k is just fine for your needs.

Intel i7-4790K vs Intel i7-5820k

I have searched in the forum but I did not found an answer that would shut up my doubts. I know the 4790K is faster because it's 4GHz and the other one is just 3.3GHz but it has 6 Cores?

Before you ask it's for gaming and a little bit of video editing. I want as much futureproof as possible so wich way it's better for gaming and future proof? Also what about the Xeon 1231 V3?

X99 is more "future-proof", for sure, but an i7-4790K makes much more sense for gaming and light video editing. 

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

it's mostly gaming so how many games will use 6 cores? Difficult to future proof when for your needs both systems will be fairly close. 

You will not see any noticable improvement after a simple i5 4670/4690 upwards in gaming.

A nice "compromise" is the 1231 you mentioned, as it is often cheaper but just as powerful as the i7 4770. My brother actually uses that exact CPU paired with a 290 and is very happy with it. Although, as I said: There is almost no difference between his and my performance numbers.(My system is in my sig and his is just the same, but with h97 board and the 1231).

For video editing is a different story however, since more cores and hyperthreading really matters and clock speed can be a relevant feature to look at here, whereas in gaming the difference between a 3.7 and 4.7 Ghz CPU is almost never really noticable. That's the point where you should ask yourself how big the videos are that you want to edit. Is it just every once in a while or do you often do rendering? If it is only a seldom workload for your PC, I would say go for the Xeon and save the money for a nicer GPU or SSD or another RAM-Kit.

If you will put heavy rendering work-loads on you PC often, then go for the fastest CPU that is possible in your budget. Maybe even stretch for the lowest end 2011-3, the 5820k and overclock it to 4.0Ghz+.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

You want X99 plain and simple, and also GHZ is not equal when comparing multiple chips, you could be talking 3GHZ on a 5960x but that's on 8-cores!

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

I asked the same question earlier and a lot of people suggested the 4790k. In the end I'll probably go with 5820k because saving > 5 minutes on build time is massive but, if you are gaming,4 and 6 cores are pretty equal. For video editing, 4790k and 5820k are oddly close.

EDIT

Source - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-5960x-haswell-e-cpu,3918-5.html

At stock yes the 4790K is faster (clock speed) but they can both be overclocked. Although I would say it would be easier to get a higher oc on a 4790k. A 4790K will be fine for your needs.

Computer Spec: CPU: i5 4690K @ 4.85GHz Delided    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero    RAM: Corsair Vengence 2*4GB    GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970    PSU: Corsair RM650    Boot Drive: Crucial MX100 256GB SSD    Storage: 1TB WD Blue HDD   Case: NZXT H440 Red and Black 

Cooling: EK PWM D5 Pump & EK 140ML RES Combo unit , EK Supremacy Evo CPU Block , 360mm Alphacool Radiator , 3 Noctua NF-F12 Fans on the radiator , Some fancy fittings

4790k is just fine for your needs.

I don't know why I havent been able to decide yet.

X99 is more "future-proof", for sure, but an i7-4790K makes much more sense for gaming and light video editing. 

I don't edit a lot maybe once in a week and videos of 20 Minutes max!

it's mostly gaming so how many games will use 6 cores? Difficult to future proof when for your needs both systems will be fairly close. 

Exactly! I don't know but I want to get a PC that will last me at least 3 years without any problems.

You will not see any noticable improvement after a simple i5 4670/4690 upwards in gaming.

A nice "compromise" is the 1231 you mentioned, as it is often cheaper but just as powerful as the i7 4770. My brother actually uses that exact CPU paired with a 290 and is very happy with it. Although, as I said: There is almost no difference between his and my performance numbers.(My system is in my sig and his is just the same, but with h97 board and the 1231).

For video editing is a different story however, since more cores and hyperthreading really matters and clock speed can be a relevant feature to look at here, whereas in gaming the difference between a 3.7 and 4.7 Ghz CPU is almost never really noticable. That's the point where you should ask yourself how big the videos are that you want to edit. Is it just every once in a while or do you often do rendering? If it is only a seldom workload for your PC, I would say go for the Xeon and save the money for a nicer GPU or SSD or another RAM-Kit.

If you will put heavy rendering work-loads on you PC often, then go for the fastest CPU that is possible in your budget. Maybe even stretch for the lowest end 2011-3, the 5820k and overclock it to 4.0Ghz+.

I have already made a build with a 2011-3. Please see the links I will attach at the end of this post.

You want X99 plain and simple, and also GHZ is not equal when comparing multiple chips, you could be talking 3GHZ on a 5960x but that's on 8-cores!

PC1: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/DesigningWolf/saved/k79v6h

PC2: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/DesigningWolf/saved/XZvhP6

I feel like beast vs best. Wich setup is better at gaming/video editing? Wich setup is better at gaming? Wich setup is better at video editing?

I don't want to lose performance on gaming. About the GTX 970 vs GTX 960 it doesn't matter I can upgrade later this year the GPU.

I feel like beast vs best. Wich setup is better at gaming/video editing? Wich setup is better at gaming? Wich setup is better at video editing?

I don't want to lose performance on gaming. About the GTX 970 vs GTX 960 it doesn't matter I can upgrade later this year the GPU.

Have a look at the link I posted earlier. It shows the 4790k and 5820k being very close. Same thing in the today's video on vessel.

Also are you overclocking?

I don't know why I havent been able to decide yet.

I don't edit a lot maybe once in a week and videos of 20 Minutes max!

Exactly! I don't know but I want to get a PC that will last me at least 3 years without any problems.

I have already made a build with a 2011-3. Please see the links I will attach at the end of this post.

PC1: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/DesigningWolf/saved/k79v6h

PC2: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/DesigningWolf/saved/XZvhP6

I would go for the z97 build. Feels more balanced with the 16 gigs of RAM which is better for rendering and also the 970 is much better for your gaming need. The 960 is already not the best for Ultra 1080p, not saying it is a bad card, but it is more something I would recommend for a lower end build.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Have a look at the link I posted earlier. It shows the 4790k and 5820k being very close. Same thing in the today's video on vessel.

Also are you overclocking?

If I get PC1 I would overclock later this year. If I get PC2 I would get the cooler I have in the setup. Still can't decide :S I checked the link but I don't understand everything it says x_x

I would go for the z97 build. Feels more balanced with the 16 gigs of RAM which is better for rendering and also the 970 is much better for your gaming need. The 960 is already not the best for Ultra 1080p, not saying it is a bad card, but it is more something I would recommend for a lower end build.

The thing about the graphic card is that right now it doesn't really matter that much to me I can always upgrade the GPU but not the CPU or MOBO. It's not about low end or high end I don't want to change the mobo or the CPU for minimum 4 years so I really want to get a "futureproof" (I know this word doesn't exist in the technology world) but atleast in few years when more software comes out and new games I would have a very good PC to run them. I don't want to run 5 monitors! I'm ok with one monitor 4k (i'm moving from consoles so that's enough) maybe next year get another monitor so I would have 2 monitors and that's it then upgrade the GPU maybe a Titan X that can give me the performance I want. I'm still not decided between the X99 build or Z97 build. Are X99 mobos better than Z97? Is the 5820K faster and better than the 4690K in every aspect?

The thing about the graphic card is that right now it doesn't really matter that much to me I can always upgrade the GPU but not the CPU or MOBO. It's not about low end or high end I don't want to change the mobo or the CPU for minimum 4 years so I really want to get a "futureproof" (I know this word doesn't exist in the technology world) but atleast in few years when more software comes out and new games I would have a very good PC to run them. I don't want to run 5 monitors! I'm ok with one monitor 4k (i'm moving from consoles so that's enough) maybe next year get another monitor so I would have 2 monitors and that's it then upgrade the GPU maybe a Titan X that can give me the performance I want. I'm still not decided between the X99 build or Z97 build. Are X99 mobos better than Z97? Is the 5820K faster and better than the 4690K in every aspect?

Motherboards are very similar performance wise. High end motherboards just come with more expansion etc. 5820k is a little faster than 4790k in some work loads but 4790k wins at single threaded workloads (and of those, some it wins pretty hard with that 4.4GHz Boost clock). If you weren't going to overclock than the xeon would've worked good.

You said 4690k with is i5(I think). The 5820k is faster than 4690k.

Motherboards are very similar performance wise. High end motherboards just come with more expansion etc. 5820k is a little faster than 4790k in some work loads but 4790k wins at single threaded workloads (and of those, some it wins pretty hard with that 4.4GHz Boost clock). If you weren't going to overclock than the xeon would've worked good.

You said 4690k with is i5(I think). The 5820k is faster than 4690k.

Sorry I meant to say the 4790K. If I get the 4790K I would stick to the stock cooler and do not overclock. My computer will be mainly for Gaming > Video Editing the videos I would edit would be like 20 Minutes long but with a very good edit I mean make them a bit heavy. So what you mean in Gaming the 4790k wins? The thing is when new things come out and need to use DDR4 for better performance or just new things that don't support Z97 I would not be able to change my motherboard nor the CPU. But at the same time I want the best performance in gaming right now and that's why I have not been able to decide :S 

5820K isn't exactly any more "futureproof" then a 4790K. Even a Pentium 4 can still do video editing if you tried, neither chip is going to be more futureproof (more resistant to aging) then the other.

"Rawr XD"

Sorry I meant to say the 4790K. If I get the 4790K I would stick to the stock cooler and do not overclock. My computer will be mainly for Gaming > Video Editing the videos I would edit would be like 20 Minutes long but with a very good edit I mean make them a bit heavy. So what you mean in Gaming the 4790k wins? The thing is when new things come out and need to use DDR4 for better performance or just new things that don't support Z97 I would not be able to change my motherboard nor the CPU. But at the same time I want the best performance in gaming right now and that's why I have not been able to decide :S 

It wins in a few games. Not all. That 6 core is really good. It hits a nice price / core / performance ratio.

http://www.tomshardw...cpu,3918-5.html - This shows 5820k vs 4790k

Toms BF4 benchmark actually has 5820k as the fastest processor.

EDIT - 4790k is very close in performace to 5820k in games. Like margin of error close. But 5820k definitely wins during multithreaded workloads.

So, question are you willing to pay for 2 more cores? If yes, buy a 5820k. If no, buy either that 4790k or a xeon (since you are overclocking)

If I get PC1 I would overclock later this year. If I get PC2 I would get the cooler I have in the setup. Still can't decide :S I checked the link but I don't understand everything it says x_x

Ok your last explanation basically answers the question for you. If you really want "future-proofing" (which there is no such thing, but still) you should take the 5820k. Support for higher core-counts will definitely get better and therefore I would go with that.

You can also get much more RAM with that combo and just in case that will be important, you are ready to upgrade.

If the 960 is enough for you, and it will give you fairly good results at 1080p, that is also a good choice. Also with the X99 you can definitely get great multi-gpu support, so again very good for high-end future-proff setups.

Go for the X99 build.

...also be sure to keep us posted. Either here or in the "show off your setup" section when you have finished your build. I have a feeling this could turn out to be one of the nicer rigs here.

Hello, I also am planning to build a pc and I am also stuck with the choice between z97 and x99. I mostly edit videos in after effects and premiere pro. In after effect, I mostly generate lots of objects or particles or somethings like that :).

I do a little bit of gaming. Mostly assassin's creed black flag and unity. I am planning however to buy the next one also :).

My budget is about 1500-1700.

What do guys think is best for me?

It's obvious other people are having the same on-the-fence thoughts as me (I tweeted Luke to see if he could be another video like today's on the differences with benchmarks).  I'm leaning toward the 4790k, since I don't do a ton of rendering and new tech like DDR4 will always have some hiccups.

Either a 4790k or a 5820k will be good for years, so the only future-proofing concern is the socket; the 4790k may be the best CPU we get for LGA1150 motherboards, but 2011-3 already has upgrades and more are likely coming down the pipeline.  If I do get a new computer in 3 years, though, I'd likely build from scratch as the new state-of-the-art will be, well, 3 years ahead of where we are now - faster USB ports and faster SATA interfaces will come along, and no modern board will have those controllers built-in because they don't exist right now.  Then you'd need add-on cards if you wanted to keep your motherboard, which can be finicky.