Questions about fans at the side of the case

woox

I have seen many cases which allow you to mount a fan at the side of the case right next to your graphics card (such as the define r5, corsair 400r etc). I undestand that it is there to help with the GPU's cooling, but I have a few questions I would like to ask about them:

1) Do these fans actually make a difference in GPU cooling?

2) Do they get too loud, since they are closer to you than all other fans?

3) Is better to have them configured as exhaust (to better remove the graphics card's heat) or intake (to supply the graphics card with fresh air)?

4) What are the best fans for this situation? (static pressure optimized, airfolw optimized etc)

5) Can you suggest me some good fans for this job?

Thank you for your time!

Noctua NF-F12 are good fans for just about anything and in my opinion i would set it up as an intake if you got a gpu with a cooler witch will exhaust some air from the back.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

I dont use the side fan option on my R5 case..

Had them on my old case, the thin metal the side panel was made of made it shake and is qas loud, 80mm normally are.

It really depends on your other set up. If you have limited air coming into the case through the front because hard drives or something. Then have another intake would help. Some cards are designed to exhaust heat through the top part so if the fan spot it right on the top of the card then you would want it to be an exhaust fan. But if its below the card then I would make it an intake.

It can be complicated if you really want to do it the right way. And the noise just depends on the fan. 

I tried it as an exhaust and not that much difference in temps plus it blows hot air on my feet during games. 

I tried it as an intake and I got better temps. Supplying more fresh air inside your case  can really improve temps.

It is enough to set it spinning at low speed to make it silent as possible.

1. I have tested this with 200mm fan as intake. Max difference was 7C, between fan at full speed and window.
2. Not really. Depends on fan and speed.
3. Always intake. Unless its over the stock heatsink for CPU. Or if GPUs are located so that fan isn't really next to GPU fans.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv