Asus Radeon R9 290 - VRM Temperatures

Mateyyy

So I've had my R9 290 DirectCU II for a while now, and all has been working great, except for some pretty scary temperatures. 

In demanding games, my GPU temperature would be hovering around 75 all the way to 85C - not really good, but it also doesn't mean the card will just die instantly in games. What I'm more worried about, is the VRM temperatures, specifically VRM 1, as it says in GPU-Z. Again, in demanding games, it can go up to even 100C, and probably even a bit more when I'm not checking it, and this really doesn't seem normal at all. I'm pretty sure they are rated at 105C, but I really don't want to test them out.

I do have fairly decent airflow in my case, I would say. I have 2 intakes at the front (Noctua NF-F12), 1 of them directing air directly to the card, and I've got 2 exhausts - one in the top and the other in the back. Cranking the graphics card fans up will reduce VRM temperatures a bit, but that means that the card will be uncomfortably loud, so that's not really a solution. My question is, do you think I could find some heatsinks or something to make the VRM run a bit cooler? Thanks.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

The cooler on that card was pretty much taken from a 780 as many will tell you. However, I do not have a solution to your question

According to Kitguru;

We noticed a readout at 119c when running Furmark. We never include Furmark results as ‘real world’ indicators however and when gaming this temperature dropped to 110c.

We spoke to ASUS about this just before going to publication and their engineering team said that the placement of the VRM sensor is in a different location on their 290′s, but the VRM’s are being cooled well within specifications.

its an AMD card so the temps are fine, the stock r9 290x cooler also is around 95°C and it doesnt get throttled,well you should be able to rma it if it happens that it wont work anymore anyways

its an AMD card so the temps are fine, the stock r9 290x cooler also is around 95°C and it doesnt get throttled,well you should be able to rma it if it happens that it wont work anymore anyways

He's talking about VRM temps, not GPU temps. At about 105 degrees on VRM's your plastic starts melting...

He's talking about VRM temps, not GPU temps. At about 105 degrees on VRM's your plastic starts melting...

well if it a problem then he should be rma'ing it or get a watercooler for it with an VRM heatsink on the back