Can a back plate on a GPU protect it from static discharge?

Masskiller1523

Just kind of curious if it can protect it from static discharge and if anyone has tried to test it.  :)

Just kind of curious if it can protect it from static discharge and if anyone has tried to test it.  :)

Well if you are statically charged and touch a set of contacts the back of the PCB theoretically it can damage the card and having a backplate can prevent that since it's on spacers and only make contact at the screw points.

i'm guessing cuddling a backplate is less destructive than cuddling the back of the PCB

Strangely enough I don't feel the urge to try it on one of my gtx 980's

Workstation:
Intel Core i7 5820k @ 4.4Ghz, Asus Rampage V Extreme, 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2400 DDR4,2 x Nvidia 980 Gtx Reference Cards in Sli,
1TB - 4 x 250Gb Samsung Evo 840 Raid 0, Corsair AX1200i, Lian Li PC-D600 Silver.

Like above don't really wanna try it myself just curious and if anyone is willing to try it I would like to know what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to open up an old post but if anyone has tried anything I'm still interested in this topic. Also a while back when I touched my GPU and zapped it I think the backplate saved it but I'm not sure.