Thermal compound

waggythegeek

So, had this issue with my computer:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/339758-laptop-cooling/#entry4632974

And I do not have any thermal compound. Is there a preferred brand/brands to use? How about to avoid? Thinking about buying a mid size tube, to last me through this problem and maybe a couple other builds, is that normal?

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

I've got multiple tubes of thermal paste lying about from builds of old and swap out my paste fairly frequently.

I've found that Gelid GC Extreme and Noctua NT-H1 work the best out of my usage. Arctic MX-4 isn't to bad either.

I've not used ICDiamond before though which is Linus' recommendation so I can't reall comment how good that will work compared to the gelid and noctua offerings 

And I do not have any thermal compound. Is there a preferred brand/brands to use? How about to avoid? Thinking about buying a mid size tube, to last me through this problem and maybe a couple other builds, is that normal?

Why did it come with no thermal paste and missing screw now sounds like someone opened it up and lost some screws and returned it and when it went back to Lenovo it went under their radar. 

Ad for thermal pastes I recommend MX-4 I use that on everything basically. It's not bad thermal paste but I personally avoid silver based pastes since they need a couple hunred hours to cure before reaching optimum cooing.

ehh just get a small tube...those last a long time

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

I personally use MX-4, it has served me well over the years :) But thinking of IC Diamond, but that is quite expensive :D

I like MX-4 but arctic silver is pretty good. noticed no difference in performance between the two.

my MX-4 was cheap, but I need more soon

How far will 4g get me?

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

How far will 4g get me?

Usually about a dozen applications using the pea method it depends on the density of the compund. However thermal paste doesn't exactly have an expiry date in the tube as long as it doesn't dry out.

I went through a large tube of mx4 in about four months but I do a lot of changes and swapping.

Just got two small tubes of IC Diamond for testing. So far its about 2-3C cooler than MX4 on my CPU and about 7-9C cooler on my annoying HD 7970 spare.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Links to some fairly large thermal compound shootouts are in my signature. If you prefer not to read all that and just cut to the chase I'd recommend Gelid GC-Extreme.

1. Overclock until the magic smoke comes out. 2. Modify until broken. 3. Fix and repeat.

4670k - 16GB - 290X - 1440p Freesync

The difference between decent thermal pastes is minimal, like 2-3 degrees C. It's to the point where I'd rather recommend looking at price and ease of use.