Touchscreen-enabled routers double as home automation hubs

almond-2015-04-01-01.jpg

This is actually a fairly neat setup, I'm tempted to give it a go since I have a fair amount of home automation tech already, especially my security system, so it would be a decent exercise to see how well an all in one system like this would actually work. 

Curious to see how well the router end of things are. The home automation stuff is generally not THAT complicated on the underside, the router tech however. If this is actually a very good router, it would make for a great purchase for those who aren't swapping out routers or other components all the time.

The Almond+ and Almond 2015 both support ZigBee home automation, letting you program security camera, lights or lawn sprinkler automation on the built-in touchscreens. They both also function as full-featured routers, with high-powered amplifiers and extender/bridge/access point functionality in case the main router can't reach a corner of your sprawling mansion.

The Almond+ is the higher-end option, thanks to the addition of Z-Wave home automation, 802.11ac dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) WiFi and 5,000 sf of coverage. The Almond 2015 is more mainstream, but brings 30 percent more coverage than the last model (3,000 sf) on top of the new home automation functionality. Both devices pack color touchscreens that can be used to program "complex home automation rules," according to Almond. 

Other features include a mobile app (iOS and Android) for remote control, and local control in case you want to keep your home functions away from the internet. Both systems can also be wall mounted. You can grab the new products at Amazon at $99 for the Almond 2015 and $199 for the Almond+.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/01/almond-home-automation-routers/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R0C2U5E/

I've had the Almond+ for around six months now, it gets better with each update, but it still has lots of issues on the home automation side.

The Wifi on it is nothing to write home about.

Linus did a review of one of these a few years ago I think the conclusion was the touch screen was pretty terrible and software was meh but doubt quote me it was years ago and I'm sure they have improved now.