Hello everyone,

I wonderd,

i have a crazy idea for a super small computer in a custom case......

For this case it would be kinda usefull to be able to desolder connecters like the memery slots and pci-e slot,

now my question to you guys is, would i be able to do any of this??? 

The things i like to desolder and directly connect the component to my motherboard using ribboncables or something are the following ones:

the one pci-e connector (i'm going to use a mini-itx motherboard), the two memory slots and the rear i-o.

the motherboard i want to use is the msi z97i gaming ack.

this one:

the motherboard

So, do you guys think this is possible.... In anyway.... or not even close to possible..... (maybe with another motherboard?)

maybe it gets a little easier to understand when i tell you my idea, my idea is to have a super super slim case about 2,8 a 3 cm thick with a motherboard a sideways grapics card a watercooled cpu and a ssd in it, then i would make the watercooling system and powersuply external with quick disconects, and tada i would have a super slim 'computer' that i can cary arround with me.

the main problems are:

the rear i-o and memory sticks will be too high for the case..... for the gpu this can be solved by buying an extender with a flexible ribbon cable to put it sideways....

however there aren't any memory slot extenders so i could position them sideways.......

And the rear i-o can't be put sideways anyway without desoldering, or removing it in some way....

maybe this explains it a bit more:

motherboard and case

Thanks in regards,

TheIcyWizard

P.S. does anyone of you guys know how high the rear i-o is i can't find the height dimmensions for this motherboard anywhere..... (need it for a 3-d drawing, using a picture and some measuring and calculating. I figgured out that the highest thing on the motherboard is the 6- audio jack block, being about 2,6 cm... is this correct???)

P.P.S.: sorry for bad english

Hello everyone,

I wonderd,

i have a crazy idea for a super small computer in a custom case......

For this case it would be kinda usefull to be able to desolder connecters like the memery slots and pci-e slot,

now my question to you guys is, would i be able to do any of this???

The things i like to desolder and directly connect the component to my motherboard using ribboncables or something are the following ones:

the one pci-e connector (i'm going to use a mini-itx motherboard), the two memory slots and the rear i-o.

the motherboard i want to use is the msi z97i gaming ack.

So, do you guys think this is possible.... In anyway.... or not even close to possible..... (maybe with another motherboard?)

Thanks in regards,

TheIcyWizard

P.S. does anyone of you guys know how high the rear i-o is i can't find the height dimmensions for this motherboard anywhere..... (need it for a 3-d drawing)

P.P.S.: sorry for bad english

Pretty sure you can just get extenders. For all of it.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

FruitBasketSilex

Thanks for your reply, my problem is however that the rear i-o (i, just measured it using a picture) is too high for the thing i have in mind......

so... it would be really nice if i could just desolder the rear i-o and turn al of the rear i-o 90 degrees

so they are a lower then they are when standing upwards.

FruitBasketSilex,

Thanks for your reply, my problem is however that the rear i-o (i, just measured it using a picture) is too high for the thing i have in mind......

so... it would be really nice if i could just desolder the rear i-o and turn al of the rear i-o 90 degrees

so they are a lower then they are when standing upwards.

Why not just get extenders and make your own rear I/o? Something like male Ethernet to female Ethernet and things like that.

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

alright, maybe it gets a little easier to understand when i tell you my idea, my idea is to have a super super slim case about 2,8 a 3 cm thick with a motherboard a sideways grapics card a watercooled cpu and

a ssd in it, then i would make the watercooling system and powersuply external with quick disconects, and tada i would have i super slim 'computer' that i can cary arround with me.

alright, maybe it gets a little easier to understand when i tell you my idea, my idea is to have a super super slim case about 2,8 a 3 cm thick with a motherboard a sideways grapics card a watercooled cpu and

a ssd in it, then i would make the watercooling system and powersuply external with quick disconects, and tada i would have i super slim 'computer' that i can cary arround with me.

I still don't understand the reasoning for the io. Get a m-itx mobo and work from there. Might become a tad long though, simply because you need physical space.

Spoiler

maybe this explains it.......

Nope.

Spoiler