Titan X 12 GB or Gtx 980 Ti 6 GB for 4K

Zesca

So the titan x obviously has plenty of vram that will last for awhile in terms of powering modern games at high settings 4k with a playable fps, however the price isn't very justifiable for the performance increase over the 980, so I was thinking on waiting for the 980 ti because it will have just as much if not more performance than the titan at a notably lower price, however I am not sure if the cut in half vram amount will be able to play games now and in the future at 4k...

Titan X, because there will be no 980 ti

Well I was wrong

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

• Those sneaky bastards.

Basically a stripped down 6 Gb version of Titan X.  Ouch...that's gotta hurt the guys that just bought the Titan X.

Only of course if this is true. It makes sense though because they know the 390X isn't going to be as much as the Titan X .

If they were smart though, they'd just have released an actual decently priced Titan X , around $750 and they'd probably double/triple the sales of the Titan X.

This way no need for a new 980 Ti or 990 so to speak.

If they are indeed making a 990 or whatever....that sounds like a new sweet spot. Not Titan X...but not breaking bank either. This should lower the 980 prices as well. I think they are overpriced as well.

How much was the 780 ti when it was released?  Since that beat the OG Titan....that's why I am asking.

called that ages ago!! damn I should become a tech insider.

back on topic.. every seems to dramatically over estimate the total amount of Vram needed for 4k... theres only 1 game out at the moment that actually uses more than 4gb ram at 4k.. and thats shadow of mordor.. no other game does. all current GPUs hit their own physical limit WAY WAY WAY before they hit their Vram limits.. hell I'm playing battlefield hardline at 4k medium settings with a 2gb 770...

truth is no single card can max out every game at 4k.. even sli titan x's only just get 60fps comfortably on all games even with their 12gb vram...

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Gtx 980 ti does NOT exist. So there is no need to compare.

if you have nothing intelligent to offer please don't offer at all

I have a Titan X arriving on Tuesday.   I currently have a 780 3GB.  Was looking at SLI but knew the VRAM would become a problem.   I wanted that in the future if I needed I could just SLI TX and overclock if needed and not worry about the limit in VRAM.  It always seems to me that nVIDIA will often create cards with VRAM amounts that just seem to cover current games for that year or so.   This Titan is different from the others and is the full GM200.  Strange as it sounds, I actually think this Titan is worth the money for the performance of a single solution card with VRAM that you won't have to worry with if you SLI in the future.

CPU i7 4790 | Motherboard  ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII | RAM 16 GB Trident X @ 2400 Mhz | GPU Titan X | Case NZXT Phantom 530 | Storage Samsung EVO 840 1 TB SSD, 2 Seagate 150 GB HDD, 1 External 3 GB Seagate HDD | PSU Corsair HX 1050 | Cooling Zalman Copper 2 ball | Keyboard  Logitech G710+ | Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound: Creative Z | Operating System  Windows 10

I have a Titan X arriving on Tuesday. I currently have a 780 3GB. Was looking at SLI but knew the VRAM would become a problem. I wanted that in the future if I needed I could just SLI TX and overclock if needed and not worry about the limit in VRAM. It always seems to me that nVIDIA will often create cards with VRAM amounts that just seem to cover current games for that year or so. This Titan is different from the others and is the full GM200. Strange as it sounds, I actually think this Titan is worth the money for the performance of a single solution card with VRAM that you won't have to worry with if you SLI in the future.

thats becuz dx12 might beAble to stack vram from sli if possiblE

and thats probabbly the reason they release a 12gb vram card thats literally have no use for any game atm.

Yea but think....by the time you get a game that will use 12 Gb of Vram, you won't have a Titan X....  come on...... I bet people jump ship when even Pascal comes out.

I think people want the fastest card no matter what it is.

If say the 390X from AMD beats the Titan X would you Titan X owners jump ship or just wait the rest of this year out and see what Pascal offers?

Just curious.

I wonder if they are just putting 12 Gb on there because they aren't going to be using it anymore after this year. HMB gen 2.0 is going to be in Pascal.

The release of a 980 ti though is pretty shady if it happens because it's a Titan X with less Vram which is actually a better deal anyhow. It might hit the exact benchmarks the Titan does. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Maybe it will be 5.5 Gb Vram.

titan x. there are already games that use more than 6gb at 4k

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Yea but think....by the time you get a game that will use 12 Gb of Vram, you won't have a Titan X....  come on...... I bet people jump ship when even Pascal comes out.

I think people want the fastest card no matter what it is.

If say the 390X from AMD beats the Titan X would you Titan X owners jump ship or just wait the rest of this year out and see what Pascal offers?

Just curious.

I wonder if they are just putting 12 Gb on there because they aren't going to be using it anymore after this year. HMB gen 2.0 is going to be in Pascal.

The release of a 980 ti though is pretty shady if it happens because it's a Titan X with less Vram which is actually a better deal anyhow. It might hit the exact benchmarks the Titan does. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Maybe it will be 5.5 Gb Vram.

I won't be jumping ship since it seems nVidia has better technologies g-sync etc and from what I've read AMD has not kept up with crossfire profiles or even creating new drivers for new games that come out. I feel somewhat certain AMD won't have a card with 12 GB of memory and may not be as power efficient.   Nvidia seems to release a new driver for every new AAA game that comes out.  I'll more than likely SLI the Titan X later if it can be bought for less in a year or two.  Who wants to wait a year if you can game now.  

CPU i7 4790 | Motherboard  ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII | RAM 16 GB Trident X @ 2400 Mhz | GPU Titan X | Case NZXT Phantom 530 | Storage Samsung EVO 840 1 TB SSD, 2 Seagate 150 GB HDD, 1 External 3 GB Seagate HDD | PSU Corsair HX 1050 | Cooling Zalman Copper 2 ball | Keyboard  Logitech G710+ | Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound: Creative Z | Operating System  Windows 10

technically the card doesn't exist but, the card could be an overclock 980 with 6GB or a titan X with 6GB.

how can you ever ansewr a question about a gpu that does not even exists?

Nobody knows anything about them.

i would say lock topic? :D

It's a perfectly intelligent contribution to say that one of the things we're being asked to comment on doesn't exist.

Massive citation needed here.

?

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

?

As someone who exclusively games at 4K, on 970s at that, I'm calling bullshit on your assertion that 6GB isn't enough.

As someone who exclusively games at 4K, on 970s at that, I'm calling bullshit on your assertion that 6GB isn't enough.

didn't you watch any titan x videos? i only game at 1440P in fps games tbh. only play civ 5 in 4k

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Why do people make threads like these? The card isn't released so you can't really compare a Titan to it..

didn't you watch any titan x videos? i only game at 1440P in fps games tbh. only play civ 5 in 4k

It's clear that you don't generally game at 4K, because if you did you wouldn't be recommending 12GB for it. You should get a Titan X because it's like having two 980s in a single GPU, not because of the vram. That would be like buying a 5960X because holy hell DDR4 is great for gaming!!!11

It's clear that you don't generally game at 4K, because if you did you wouldn't be recommending 12GB for it. You should get a Titan X because it's like having two 980s in a single GPU, not because of the vram. That would be like buying a 5960X because holy hell DDR4 is great for gaming!!!11

what? i don't do much gaming at all. i do know for a fact that shadow of mordor used 6.5gb of vram in the titan x review and that future games are going to use more, not less. the reason i don't play many games are 4k is because my 970's are incapable of keeping any of the games i want to play over 60fps on high settings with a some form of aa. 2 titan x's are currently the only gpu's in a sensible config that can keep 60fps with all the settings turned up. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

what? i don't do much gaming at all. i do know for a fact that shadow of mordor used 6.5gb of vram in the titan x review and that future games are going to use more, not less. the reason i don't play many games are 4k is because my 970's are incapable of keeping any of the games i want to play over 60fps on high settings with a some form of aa. 2 titan x's are currently the only gpu's in a sensible config that can keep 60fps with all the settings turned up. 

Shadow of Mordor had 6GB quoted in the recommended requirements of its absolute highest preset. However, the same preset runs just fine on a 295X2 so this is very much a case of dynamically using what is there rather than actually needing it.

As for 4K, why the hell would you demand AA at 4K?! You are literally sacrificing actual pixels in favour of using blurring effects to try and fake the same resolution. Lose the AA and play at 4K instead.

Shadow of Mordor had 6GB quoted in the recommended requirements of its absolute highest preset. However, the same preset runs just fine on a 295X2 so this is very much a case of dynamically using what is there rather than actually needing it.

As for 4K, why the hell would you demand AA at 4K?! You are literally sacrificing actual pixels in favour of using blurring effects to try and fake the same resolution. Lose the AA and play at 4K instead.

i need aa at 4k, there are still jaggies. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme