Windows xp and Windows 8.1

CobalTicz
Go to solution Solved by Sauron,

What program did you use for the backup? Chances are you need the same program to uncompress the files. If you by mistake backed up the full partition you'll have to try again and backup only the files. By the way, is there a reason in particular for which you can't just copy and paste your folders? Are there too many?

I have a old windows xp machine that I'm finally trying to backup and save all my files from because it's finally time to trash it. I try to then take that file and put it on a windows 8.1 machine and I don't know how the file is a .dat file so I don't know what to do

What program did you use for the backup? Chances are you need the same program to uncompress the files. If you by mistake backed up the full partition you'll have to try again and backup only the files. By the way, is there a reason in particular for which you can't just copy and paste your folders? Are there too many?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Are you saying the .dat file is your Windows XP backup file? I can't say I know what extension Windows XP backups are written as, but if that is so, then the only way to use that file is to recover Windows from a Windows recovery tool. Oh, and you will only be able to recover to XP, unfortunately. Your best shot at moving all the files you need is to copy them from XP to some drive then paste them to the system running Win 8, or get some kind of data transfer kit. Good luck

AMD FX8350  2x ASUS Radeon R9 270X 4GB  ASUS Sabertooth 990FX  -  Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 16GB

well the two of you both just said I pretty much need to copy and paste it. I just didn't want to do this cuz the files are in so many different spots its gonna be like a scavenger hunt

use agent ransack to find all the files and then put them all in 1 folder

then transfer

this is how I backup clients pc

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile