The Dell from Hell (Actually Its From My Parents)

PaulKolby

So as the title says i am going to get this dell from my parents it is a Dell XPS 400, and i was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. And, i am thinking about upgrading it to a Core 2 Duo because it has an old pentium 4 in it right now, but i dont know if it supports it.......

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

So as the title says i am going to get this dell from my parents it is a Dell XPS 400, and i was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. And, i am thinking about upgrading it to a Core 2 Duo because it has an old pentium 4 in it right now, but i dont know if it supports it.......

Check the socket and compatibility online. I dont think it will support it but you should still check since there is a good chance that I might be wrong

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

-A shotgun wielding redneck

Oh my... darkness and flame...

jokes aside, I'd stick to the p4. It's unlikely it will support a core 2 and either way getting your hands on one is probably not worth the effort.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Most Pentium 4 775 boards will NOT support Core 2 Duos, and this is considering aftermarket as well, not just proprietary Dell boards

"Rawr XD"

Lol there is a build log with the same name :P

This particular system is from 2005. The bios on this particular board only supports up to a Pentium D 945. You can buy a newer board as long as it is BTX, I have a dell optiplex gx620 that has almost the same board and I was able to obtain a Optiplex 745 board. The system is rocking a Q6600 right now and all I put into it was $35 total. If you would like me to I can find a board that would work in that system since the IO plate can not be changed. I think it is well worth the upgrade and the most you might spend is around $100.

The removal of the IO plate would have to occur in order to support another board. I have a Dell Dimension 5100 that I dremeled the IO plate out of to also support a 745 board that I picked up for $20 on amazon. If you are willing to remove the io plate and purchace a new board I think you will have yourself a nice little system for streaming or whatever you want down the road. If you want to see pictures of mine to give you an idea let me know!

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Lol there is a build log with the same name :P

i didnt know that build log exsisted well now i got to look it up

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

This particular system is from 2005. The bios on this particular board only supports up to a Pentium D 945. You can buy a newer board as long as it is BTX, I have a dell optiplex gx620 that has almost the same board and I was able to obtain a Optiplex 745 board. The system is rocking a Q6600 right now and all I put into it was $35 total. If you would like me to I can find a board that would work in that system since the IO plate can not be changed. I think it is well worth the upgrade and the most you might spend is around $100.

Yeh but is it worth spending $100 on a 10 year old machine or is that false economy?

I'd use as is & save for a new or newer reconditioned box with a "core i"

Workstation:
Intel Core i7 5820k @ 4.4Ghz, Asus Rampage V Extreme, 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2400 DDR4,2 x Nvidia 980 Gtx Reference Cards in Sli,
1TB - 4 x 250Gb Samsung Evo 840 Raid 0, Corsair AX1200i, Lian Li PC-D600 Silver.

Yeh but is it worth spending $100 on a 10 year old machine or is that false economy?

I'd use as is & save for a new or newer reconditioned box with a "core i"

Yes it is well worth it, I will get pics of my similar systems to show you. I am very happy the way they turned out 

Yes it is well worth it, I will get pics of my similar systems to show you. I am very happy the way they turned out

No it's fine don't trouble yourself, you keep your pictures,

i would of seen the 10 year old tech 10 years ago when it was released

Workstation:
Intel Core i7 5820k @ 4.4Ghz, Asus Rampage V Extreme, 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2400 DDR4,2 x Nvidia 980 Gtx Reference Cards in Sli,
1TB - 4 x 250Gb Samsung Evo 840 Raid 0, Corsair AX1200i, Lian Li PC-D600 Silver.

This particular system I use for a file server, like I said the original board had a different IO than the last one so I had to remove the shield. Other than that I have the option to upgrade all the way up to a Core 2 Quad Q6700 if I want and in your case I believe you have a 400 watt PSU. You are super luck in the fact that your case supports dual slot cards unlike mine. The case supports ATX power supplys so the only real hold back you have is the BTX form factor (more or less flipped ATX) that I personally enjoy over ATX.

ZiztCry.jpg

egjiMjr.jpg

V0UWs0r.jpg

My only experience is destroying one, gets destroyed well.

I knew someone that had one.

He smashed it to pieces.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

No it's fine don't trouble yourself, you keep your pictures,

i would of seen the 10 year old tech 10 years ago when it was released

Naa your fine haha I love talking about dells since I have so many of them.

My tech school has like 50 of these that we use for Beowulf clusters.... as one they are bad, but as 50, they are beast!

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

One question, what do you plan on using this particular system for?

One question, what do you plan on using this particular system for?

a bit of everything i just want a cpu with a mediocre gpu

This particular system I use for a file server, like I said the original board had a different IO than the last one so I had to remove the shield. Other than that I have the option to upgrade all the way up to a Core 2 Quad Q6700 if I want and in your case I believe you have a 400 watt PSU. You are super luck in the fact that your case supports dual slot cards unlike mine. The case supports ATX power supplys so the only real hold back you have is the BTX form factor (more or less flipped ATX) that I personally enjoy over ATX.

ZiztCry.jpg

egjiMjr.jpg

V0UWs0r.jpg

does that board have a pcie 16x slot?

I had one too, motherboard died twice. The second time was literally a month out of the warranty. Might have just been a fluke though.

does that board have a pcie 16x slot?

What the heck man ya gotta snip dat

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Its most probally not worth it if you can do it any way just get a new one

IAN :o

What the heck man ya gotta snip dat

Ya know, i thought this was a free forum. I thought people were able to post whatever they want freely. If i want to say "Amd graphics card are hot as balls" i can say whatever the heck i want as long as i dont piss too many people off. No one needs more critics!!

Its most probally not worth it if you can do it any way just get a new one

Na thats just silly............ :)

Ya know, i thought this was a free forum. I thought people were able to post whatever they want freely. If i want to say "Amd graphics card are hot as balls" i can say whatever the heck i want as long as i dont piss too many people off. No one needs more critics!!

Balls are actually pretty cold tbh

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home