Re-Installation Win7 Issue, and generaly bad retailer.

MrMendes

Hello everyone,

Lately i have been trying to improve my build. One of those changes was an SSD. And with all the questions around the web about cloning the OS I decided to go for a clean installation. I went and got all the keys needed. Used one of those programs that "recover" your software keys. One of the keys, more importantly, the product key, was a BBBBB-... whatever kind of key. Was not aware at the time of what it was, and just saved that one.

After the installation, when i got to the product key introduction menu, it went south. After some research i found that some of these product keys are "born" when a manufacturer uses something to mass install keys. 

Going back in time, to when i acquired the pc, the store i bought it from had a build put together by them for sale, and that was the one I bought. They asked if i wanted to install Windows 7 or 8, i went with the 7 

Fast forward to today, i went and contacted them to find what was my product key (as when i bought it, i had a small room, with no space, and as such i told them i did not need all the component boxes). Now they are telling me that my build was sold without an OS, just with a trial account, and since they asked me what version i wanted i assumed it was a legit version. From the research i made, trial account can only go as far as 3 months, and mine has lasted with no problems, since last May. 

So, bottom line here is: How long does the trial account can actually go for? And more importantly, if that time is just those 3 months, did the store install some pirated version of the OS on my system?

So you put an SSD into a prebuilt and reinstalled the OS?

Didn't the computer come with a recovery CD that allows for a reinstall.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

If your OS is currently working, run BelArc. It will tell you all the details of your system and even list any associated license keys so that you can have a record for posterity.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

So you put an SSD into a prebuilt and reinstalled the OS?

Didn't the computer come with a recovery CD that allows for a reinstall.

Yup i did, and no it didn't. I just took home the case with everything installed, and some of the installation guides from the hardware boxes. 

I know the massive dumb*** i was when not bringing home all the cases, as it could have prevented this. :S 

So, was it a prebuilt from a company like Dell, HP or was it built by some computer shop.

If your OS is currently working, run BelArc. It will tell you all the details of your system and even list any associated license keys so that you can have a record for posterity.

Already went and reinstalled my OS. Only found out about the BBBBB- ... after. Definition of newb here. Goddammit me, why u so dumb?!

So, was it a prebuilt from a company like Dell, HP or was it built by some computer shop.

Computer Shop built. 

Already went and reinstalled my OS. Only found out about the BBBBB- ... after. Definition of newb here. Goddammit me, why u so dumb?!

Did you completely format and wipe the drive before reinstalling the OS, or did you let the Windows OS installation process "format" the drive? If you just rebooted to the install disc and let Windows do all the work, you should have a folder on your C: drive that is labeled "old" (or something similar) that will have all of the core data from the previous installation of Windows. You might be able to have BelArc scan that and pull the license keys.

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

In that case, yes you totally should've taken the window's box with you.

But since it was a shop built, they probably used an oem disc and that should have had a regular style code.

Did you completely format and wipe the drive before reinstalling the OS, or did you let the Windows OS installation process "format" the drive? If you just rebooted to the install disc and let Windows do all the work, you should have a folder on your C: drive that is labeled "old" (or something similar) that will have all of the core data from the previous installation of Windows. You might be able to have BelArc scan that and pull the license keys.

Unfortunately no. It was another nail in my coffin. Formated it before installing, on the screen where you choose which drive to install into. Will recheck when i get home, but i doubt i am that lucky. On the other point of my post, what about the shop's claims of it being a trial version? How did it went for so long?

Unfortunately no. It was another nail in my coffin. Formated it before installing, on the screen where you choose which drive to install into. Will recheck when i get home, but i doubt i am that lucky. On the other point of my post, what about the shop's claims of it being a trial version? How did it went for so long?

That's the screen I was referring to. Because you let the Windows OS software installation process format the drive for you, it should have saved a compressed copy of the old OS as a failsafe.

END OF LINE

That's the screen I was referring to. Because you let the Windows OS software installation process format the drive for you, it should have saved a compressed copy of the old OS as a failsafe.

Oh god :o, then i will definitely check that. Right now praying to all the gods it is still there.

Oh god :o, then i will definitely check that. Right now praying to all the gods it is still there.

Here, look at this page...

END OF LINE

Just got home and checked. There is no old windows folder