Gaming CPU

Go to solution Solved by vt3c,

Video editors/VM people on a tight budget, get an octo-core AMD. It's a genius decision IMHO. 
Gamers, don't get an octo-core AMD. 

Gamers on a budget, get a G3258 or i3 4150. Destroys the Fx 8350 in single core performance and in games. 

Ok, so I know that this has probably been debated 10^100 times, but for GAMING specifically, which is the better bang for the buck?

I'm aware that you can get an octo-core processor for only ~£100, which is amazing, but the performance per core is lacking, not great for gaming.

But, bang for buck, which one?

Intel i3 for a budget build as its about the same if not better in games than an FX 8350, and an i5 if you can afford one as it takes a watercooled FX 9590 to match a locked Intel i5 in games-and the i5 only needs its stock cooler.

Edit: The FX 8350 is an "octa core", it doesn't actually have 8 full cores like you would find in any Intel multicore CPU.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Ok, so I know that this has probably been debated 10^100 times, but for GAMING specifically, which is the better bang for the buck?

I'm aware that you can get an octo-core processor for only ~£100, which is amazing, but the performance per core is lacking, not great for gaming.

But, bang for buck, which one?

Depends.

AMD is bang for buck in the lower end prices and Intel for upgrade-ability and like 120+ USD price ranges.

(And please don't ask questions like this, with a title like that :P )

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Generally, Intel.

CPU i7-9700K @ 5 GHz Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F RAM Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (4x8) 3000 MHz GPU ASUS RTX 2080 ROG Strix OC x2 SLI Case Corsair Graphite 780T Storage 256 GB Samsung 860 EVO, 6 TB Seagate Barracuda PSU Corsair HX1200i, 1200W Display(s) ASUS PG279Q (1440p 165 Hz), ASUS VG248QE (1080p 144 Hz) Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 radiator Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Logitech G502 Sound Logitech G35 Operating System Windows 10

Video editors/VM people on a tight budget, get an octo-core AMD. It's a genius decision IMHO. 

Gamers on a budget, get a G3258 or i3 4150. Destroys the Fx 8350 in single core performance and in games. 

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

(And please don't ask questions like this, with a title like that :P )

I figured it would get attention, it certainly did xD

Titles like that are equal to 'shots fired'.

PMSL

Generally want to go for the i3-4150 though due to hyperthreading though, right?

ffs if you know it's been debated a shit load of times then just go look up the other threads. There's no reason to post this flame bait shit.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Titles like that are equal to 'shots fired'.

Not sure I understand...

Intel all the. intel ftw

ffs if you know it's been debated a shit load of times then just go look up the other threads. There's no reason to post this flame bait shit.

"Flame bait shit". First time I heard that one.

Generally want to go for the i3-4150 though due to hyperthreading though, right?

:P Yes. Hyperthreading + single core performance makes the i3 a good CPU

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Not sure I understand...

'shots fired' as in all the rabid fanboys come out and defend 'their' favorite brand, regardless of facts. Aka a title like that can start flame wars. 

PMSL

'shots fired' as in all the rabid fanboys come out and defend 'their' favorite brand, regardless of facts. Aka a title like that can start flame wars. 

Ah, right. I think I understand now.

Intel is pretty much the best at any price range. Coming from someone who has owned many AMD and Intel chips through the years. 

Most likely, if you can grab it. But if you can't, get a g3258 and upgrade to something like an i5 later on in time. 

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

Most likely, if you can grab it. But if you can't, get a g3258 and upgrade to something like an i5 later on in time. 

Oh, I'm still planning to upgrade to an i5-4690k, but in the future. This i3 will probably serve me well in the meantime.