How should I set up my network

BasedChe
Go to solution Solved by Pancake,

For around $100 usd what would you suggest for a AP powerline combo or would I need to spend more?

The best bang for the buck AP is probably the UBNT UniFI Ap's for around $65 (Just be aware, you have to install some controller software to configure the AP. After that you can turn it off if you want)

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-UniFi-Enterprise-System/dp/B004XXMUCQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427083578&sr=8-1&keywords=unifi+ap

And then the power line adapters like this will work just fine 

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA2010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUIY4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1427083549&sr=8-3&keywords=powerline

You can get the 500Mb/s ones for $10 more, get them if you want and have the spare cash. If you are just browsing the web it won't matter really 

Throw in a decent switch and you can plug in 6 more things if you want

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG108-1000Mbps-Desktop-Gigabit/dp/B00A121WN6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427083678&sr=8-2&keywords=8+port+gigabit+switch

Currently my room is about 30ft away from the router which is blocked by two walls and it's an airport express so you can tell how that turns out. I was wondering what I should get to make my setup better sorry I'm a complete noob to networking.

CPU i5-4690k Motherboard asrock h97-ac RAM 2x4 Crucial Sport GPU Msi 4g gtx 970 Case Silverstone sg13b-q Storage western digital scorpio black 500gb PSU csm 450w Display(s) acerh27hl bmid Cooling intel stock cooler Yeah I know right Keyboard I'd rather not say Mouse logitech g602 Sound beyerdynamic dt990pro Operating System windows 8.1

Run a wire from wherever your router/switch is, to the computer in need of a connection. Remember every device should have its own dedicated line to the switch/router for best performance (less collision).

Sorry but for the best possible experience nothing beats cat5 to the router. Oh and stay away from Hubs! 

Run a cable if you can, if you cant get some powerline adapters. You could always add a Switch and another AP on the end so you have good wireless and ethernet 

Cable > Good wireless > Powerline > Bad Wireless 

Or depending on how much authority over changing things you have, just move it to a more central location 

Run a wire from wherever your router/switch is, to the computer in need of a connection. Remember every device should have its own dedicated line to the switch/router for best performance (less collision).

Sorry but for the best possible experience nothing beats cat5 to the router. Oh and stay away from Hubs! 

Network hubs are 100% complete obsolete, I dont even think you could buy one. But if you are referring to a switch, there is nothing wrong with using a switch, I actually bet a lot of switches will be more reliable than the one built into your All-in-one router 

Go with powerline; it's way less hassle than running a cable through walls, and isn't much slower in my experience.

Run a cable if you can, if you cant get some powerline adapters. You could always add a Switch and another AP on the end so you have good wireless and ethernet 

Cable > Good wireless > Powerline > Bad Wireless 

Or depending on how much authority over changing things you have, just move it to a more central location 

For my stuff like my phone what should I use?

CPU i5-4690k Motherboard asrock h97-ac RAM 2x4 Crucial Sport GPU Msi 4g gtx 970 Case Silverstone sg13b-q Storage western digital scorpio black 500gb PSU csm 450w Display(s) acerh27hl bmid Cooling intel stock cooler Yeah I know right Keyboard I'd rather not say Mouse logitech g602 Sound beyerdynamic dt990pro Operating System windows 8.1

For my stuff like my phone what should I use?

Your wireless cell phone? or Home phone? 

If you are meaning your Cell phone, just buy an AP and plug it in on your end of the power line adapter, and you will have a great connection. Just don't fall into the trap of trying to give it the same SSID to have it roam between the 2. Unless you have enterprise grade AP's it will never work properly and make you want to kill yourself 

Your wireless cell phone? or Home phone? 

If you are meaning your Cell phone, just buy an AP and plug it in on your end of the power line adapter, and you will have a great connection 

For around $100 usd what would you suggest for a AP powerline combo or would I need to spend more?

The best bang for the buck AP is probably the UBNT UniFI Ap's for around $65 (Just be aware, you have to install some controller software to configure the AP. After that you can turn it off if you want)

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-UniFi-Enterprise-System/dp/B004XXMUCQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427083578&sr=8-1&keywords=unifi+ap

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA2010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUIY4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1427083549&sr=8-3&keywords=powerline

You can get the 500Mb/s ones for $10 more, get them if you want and have the spare cash. If you are just browsing the web it won't matter really 

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG108-1000Mbps-Desktop-Gigabit/dp/B00A121WN6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427083678&sr=8-2&keywords=8+port+gigabit+switch

The best bang for the buck AP is probably the UBNT UniFI Ap's for around $65

Used is fine right?

Used is fine right?

If you can find them much cheaper, but I would prefer the AP new. Some of the earlier revisions had some firmware problems

The power line adapters are likely just fine used 

If you can find them much cheaper, but I would prefer the AP new. Some of the earlier revisions had some firmware problems

The power line adapters are likely just fine used 

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

No problem, does your router have a spare ethernet port? If it does not you will need to get a small switch on that end to get an extra one to go into the power line adapter

Also note the power line adapters cannot go into a surge protector or UPS, as it messes with the signal 

No problem, does your router have a spare ethernet port? If it does not you will need to get a small switch on that end to get an extra one to go into the power line adapter

Also note the power line adapters cannot go into a surge protector or UPS, as it messes with the signal 

one last thing should I replace my ISP modem with a different one?

one last thing should I replace my ISP modem with a different one?

I am assuming you have your your ISP modem plugged into the airport?

Do you pay a fee monthly for it?

I am assuming you have your your ISP modem plugged into the airport?

Do you pay a fee monthly for it?

No.

No.

If you don't pay a monthly fee, and you are getting the correct speeds just keep it as it is. for the most part a modem is a modem 

Network hubs are 100% complete obsolete, I dont even think you could buy one. But if you are referring to a switch, there is nothing wrong with using a switch, I actually bet a lot of switches will be more reliable than the one built into your All-in-one router 

What are you talking about? For one, they still sell hubs, for two I specifically say not to use a Hub...

if i have more cable will it slow down my internet connection ? so if i have 20 feet will my internet be faster and 30 feet will my internet be slower it does it not matter ?