What to do in a "no post" situation

Tucan
Go to solution Solved by StainlessSR,

Try going down to the bare essentials, just cpu, memory, harddrive (nothing else), reset your cmos to stock by clearing the cmos with the jumper labeled jbat1 which is to the bottom right of the cmos battery.

If this works then add one part back and test each time (one fan at a time also as it may be due to the draw being to high causing the psu to fault on overdraw from the motherboad connector)

If the problem continues then remove the motherboad connector and use the paperclip jumpstart to start the psu to see if there is an internal fault in the psu causing it to power off.

If the psu starts and runs then the problem may reside on the motherboard side of things.

Beg/Borrow/Rent/find a cpu compatible with your socket and see if it boots in your motherboard if it boots with the borrowed cpu then your cpu is probably bad,

test your cpu in a (friends) compatible MB (if you can) to verify, if it will not start in the borrowed system then your cpu is probably bad. If the borrowed system starts with your cpu then try swapping the power supply in your system.

Being able to test things with known good parts is the best (non electronic engineering) way to verify which part is not working, it just requires the known good parts unfortunately.

Try going down to the bare essentials, just cpu, memory, harddrive (nothing else), reset your cmos to stock by clearing the cmos with the jumper labeled jbat1 which is to the bottom right of the cmos battery.

If this works then add one part back and test each time (one fan at a time also as it may be due to the draw being to high causing the psu to fault on overdraw from the motherboad connector)

If the problem continues then remove the motherboad connector and use the paperclip jumpstart to start the psu to see if there is an internal fault in the psu causing it to power off.

If the psu starts and runs then the problem may reside on the motherboard side of things.

Beg/Borrow/Rent/find a cpu compatible with your socket and see if it boots in your motherboard if it boots with the borrowed cpu then your cpu is probably bad,

test your cpu in a (friends) compatible MB (if you can) to verify, if it will not start in the borrowed system then your cpu is probably bad. If the borrowed system starts with your cpu then try swapping the power supply in your system.

Being able to test things with known good parts is the best (non electronic engineering) way to verify which part is not working, it just requires the known good parts unfortunately.

I forgot to add in the OP that for a few months my CPU had been running VERY hot because i had improperly seated my CPU cooler, i hadn't checked what temps were because i didn't have the CPU overclocked at all so i didn't care to check. I later found out that my idle temps were sitting around 55 degrees Celsius! Load temps got up to 95 Degrees.

I assume this means that there is higher chance that i have a problem with my CPU?