First build

Never cheap out on the PSU. Spend a little more and get a unit that you know will last, like a XFX 550W Core edition which go for around $55. Also I wouldn't get a bottom of the barrel motherboard for a gaming computer.

Never cheap out on the PSU. Spend a little more and get a unit that you know will last, like a XFX 550W Core edition which go for around $55. Also I wouldn't get a bottom of the barrel motherboard for a gaming computer.

Proof? 

EVGA is not cheaping out.

You want him/her to get a $200 motherboard on an $800 budget?  ...and the performance difference is what?

wow, tq, and for the casing is it a must to use the same case you picked?

You are welcome.  It is not a must at all.  For that price you probably won't find much better, really.  It is a good case for $30.

Proof? 

EVGA is not cheaping out.

You want him/her to get a $200 motherboard on an $800 budget?  ...and the performance difference is what?

While EVGA does have some good units made by Seasonic or Super Flower, their B series are subpar in quality and are not recommended for use in a gaming PC.

Why you should not buy an EVGA 430 / 500 / 500B / 600B PSU

Also I didn't say to buy a $200 motherboard, a cheap H97 would work great.

@Jasonlim

For $800 here's what I would do:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($173.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($199.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  ($37.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ NCIX US) 
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  ($35.98 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($92.00 @ B&H) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Encore ENEWI-2XN45 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $790.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-22 13:58 EDT-0400

Comes to $868 before rebates.

While EVGA does have some good units made by Seasonic or Super Flower, their B series are subpar in quality and are not recommended for use in a gaming PC.

Why you should not buy an EVGA 430 / 500 / 500B / 600B PSU

Also I didn't say to buy a $200 motherboard, a cheap H97 would work great.

Sorry but... if the PSU can deliver enough power and is made by a reputable company what is the problem?

I still don't understand why you insist on spending more on a mobo.  What is the benefit?

@OP

For $800 here's what I would do:

Comes to $868 before rebates.

That is an $870 build.

thx alot guys, now i have 4 options to get my first build ready ^.^

@RazerZ Actually, you are right about the PSU... not the cheaping out part, but the 500W part.

@Jasonlim  The R9280X can draw up to 350W at max stress:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/radeon-r7-260x-r9-270x-280x-review-benchmarks,10.html

At 80% efficiency (if this PSU gets that steadily), you will only have the 400W to play with.  350W is a huge chunk... I would recommend a good 600W PSU.

EVGA isn't making the PSUs. You have to look at the OEM behind each unit, they are the ones which can be considered a reputable company or not. If you read the link I posted you can tell that the EVGA 500B is made by HEC and cheaps out on the internals. It's subpar in quality at best.

The benefit of having that H97 motherboard as as opposed to your h81 is as follows:

- Better thermal design

- Better onboard audio

- Greater amount of fan headers

- Greater amount of SATA slots

- RAID support

- Broadwell Support

-Crossfire Support

-Black PCB with read heatsinks (aesthetics)

$815

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($173.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E34 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: PNY XLR8 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($56.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Tri-X Video Card  ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($32.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  ($35.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($92.00 @ B&H)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($18.83 @ Mwave)
Total: $790.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-22 14:18 EDT-0400

@RazerZ Actually, you are right about the PSU... not the cheaping out part, but the 500W part.

@Jasonlim  The R9280X can draw up to 350W at max stress:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/radeon-r7-260x-r9-270x-280x-review-benchmarks,10.html

At 80% efficiency (if this PSU gets that steadily), you will only have the 400W to play with.  350W is a huge chunk... I would recommend a good 600W PSU.

Efficiency is the measure of how well the PSU converts AC to DC power, in other words how efficient it is when drawing power from the outlet. The higher the efficiency, the smaller your electricity bill will be. It's not a measure of how much power the power supply can provide.

Also the CX series are subpar in quality as well.

EVGA isn't making the PSUs. You have to look at the OEM behind each unit, they are the ones which can be considered a reputable company or not. If you read the link I posted you can tell that the EVGA 500B is made by HEC and cheaps out on the internals. It's subpar in quality at best.

The benefit of having that H97 motherboard as as opposed to your h81 is as follows:

- Better thermal design <<not needed no overclocking here

- Better onboard audio

- Greater amount of fan headers  <<not needed, many ways around this

- Greater amount of SATA slots <<not needed

- RAID support  <<not needed

- Broadwell Support  <<not needed

-Crossfire Support  <<not needed

-Black PCB with read heatsinks (aesthetics) <<not needed, no side window

Overclocking or not, the better thermal design, the more durable the board will be. You mentioned there are other ways around the fan headers, well there is but you're going to end up spending more money on fan splitters, and the price gap between the H81 and H97 becomes smaller. When you factor in the rest of the features you get with the h97 (how do you know if a feature is needed or not?) the H97 is a more suitable choice for a gaming computer.

Overclocking or not, the better thermal design, the more durable the board will be. You mentioned there are other ways around the fan headers, well there is but you're going to end up spending more money on fan splitters, and the price gap between the H81 and H97 becomes smaller. When you factor in the rest of the features you get with the h97 (how do you know if a feature is needed or not?) the H97 is a more suitable choice for a gaming computer.

Easily.

He won't be using RAID.

He won't be doubling up his GPUs, he would need more power for that.

He won't need more than 4 sata ports, SSD, HDD, Optical, one for whatever.

He won't need a more durable VRM, these board are designed to work with these CPUs.

He won't need splitters as he can use low RPM fans with molex connections.

Thanks for the lesson on PSU efficiency.  80% efficiency relates to the efficiency during the conversion from AC to DC.  So as long as there is a continuous power rating with a reputable company backing the OEM what is the problem?  What is the danger?

Do you even read my posts?

Also the you're not the OP so really you can't speak for him/her. The h81s are designed for basic/office use not for use in a high demanding computer such as a gaming pc.

Do you even read my posts?

Also the you're not the OP so really you can't speak for him/her. The h81s are designed for basic/office use not for use in a high demanding computer such as a gaming pc.

Bullsh*t.

hey guys I sort of need a little help with this one............ I have these parts

Motherboard: MSI ATX 970 gaming

RAM: 16gb ddr3 1800mhz

CPU: AMD FX 8320 8 core with a aftermarket stock cooler

Power supply : corsair c series 600 modular power supply

HDD/SSD: WD blue 1tb Kingston 120gb SSD

Case : NZXT 410 phantom mid tower case

hey guys I sort of need a little help with this one............ I have these parts

Motherboard: MSI ATX 970 gaming

RAM: 16gb ddr3 1800mhz

CPU: AMD FX 8320 8 core with a aftermarket stock cooler

Power supply : corsair c series 600 modular power supply

HDD/SSD: WD blue 1tb Kingston 120gb SSD

Case : NZXT 410 phantom mid tower case

You should make your own thread to get more members to help you out.  Specify your budget, where you live and the use for your PC.

So basicly I have too choose what I can afford, the power I need, and the usage with those hardware ?

So basicly I have too choose what I can afford, the power I need, and the usage with those hardware ?

Jason, a build with an H81 motherboard and a budget EVGA PSU is fine.  If you had more money to spend, sure... get slightly better parts.  But you are on a budget that is tight.  You would have to sacrifice CPU or GPU power to get an H97 board (which will give you absolutely 0% improved performance).  Those parts in my earlier build will work... safely.  The only thing I changed was the PSU because 500W was cutting it close with the R9 280X.

$799

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($173.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: MSI H81M-E34 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: PNY XLR8 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($56.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Tri-X Video Card  ($219.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($32.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ NCIX US)

Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  ($35.98 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($92.00 @ B&H)

Wireless Network Adapter: Encore ENEWI-2XN45 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $764.80

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-23 01:15 EDT-0400

wow, how do you guys whip out builds so easily?

it took me an hour to choose the right price and the wrong component >.<

when you know a lot of piece it's quite easy everyone as their preference and believe in some piece but most of the time it's the same build with only some change. Some rule that might help you the next time you plan a build:

1. 212 Evo for the win else keep stock cooler

2. if you aren't planning a energy hungry build you can take the cheapest 80+ power supply from a trusted brand (also modular is personnal choice)

3. Ram is Ram 4Gb is 4Gb no need to spend more that have faster frequency 

4. Motherboard don't affect performance just take the cheapest one with the port you're looking for

5. case is personal preference they're is no strictly better case

6. ssd and hdd is the perfect tag team 

there are some tips that might help you take at least half the part you need for any build you just need to think of the processor and the gpu now ^^ 

Also I see that you have the right strategy of "always posting on the forum before buying" this bring you other opinion on your build and will remove error or unconscious fanboyism (happen to everyone even the best of us)

edit: I didn't see that thread as gone to shit but I'll try to revive it ^^ 

@stconquest how about this build ?

https://youtu.be/vbDiSMQ_L_k

@stconquest can you tell me the flaws of my first build? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Rkbh8d

As far as the Linus build, first of all prices change.  What might hae been a good deal back then might not be so good now.  It has a G2358 dual core (no hyperthreading), which is a great CPU for single core performance but will begin to show it's limits quickly.  The R7 260X is like a GTX 750 ti, a bit better maybe.  They are high tier, low end cards.  You would be much better off with a R9 270 for about $30 more.

Your original gaming build:  Intel at any budget is a drastic improvement over AMD for gaming.  This is due to the much, much higher IPC (Instructions Per Clock) capability of the Intel CPU lines.  You would need very, very high overclocks on the AMD chip (which costs more money) to even begin to try to keep up with a stock clock on an Intel CPU.

The SSD can be left out, OR the HDD can be left out (if you do not need the storage).  I run a 240 GB SSD, and no storage drives.  Some people need to hoard data.  I have old drives that I can hook up for that if needed.  You do not get much of a gaming improvement from the SSD.

Again, the R7 260X is a low-end graphics card and will act that way when you try to play games.

Other than that, your WD Black Series drive is $20 to expensive.  You can get a WD Blue (or Seagate Baracuda, or Toshiba Deskstar) for around $45.

The case is too expensive for what it is.  The Thermaltake Versa I had picked has a better layout and is under $35.

If you need to cut your budget down, that is not a problem.  If you go with an i3 4130 and a R9 280 you can shave off $100-$150.