[G SEVEN] Norman's Mac Pro G5 Log [Phase: In-Progress]

Norman_the_Owl

Great job man !!! :) Can't wait to see future updates ;)

Thanks man, i really appreciate the kind words!

I can't wait to see future updates either, at this rate i should be done before i'm out of school.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

• 3 weeks later...

Only minor work done today, i've had a migraine since i got home from practice  :wacko:

Hopefully more work done tomorrow

This image basically sums up my progress as of late.

IMG_20150516_164259745_HDR.jpg

As you can see i drilled some holes (All hail my beloved drill press) for mounting the backplate, there are 3 sets as you can see, with the third being chopped off by the cutting i did with the dremel. These were too accommodate different standoff lengths i was experimenting with. I'm going to end up using the holes in the center, as the ones on the left (in this photo) made the backplate hit against some screws in the case, and the farthest ones needed like 21 mm standoffs or something ridiculous.

Edit: Got that backwards, ones on the left were the super tall ones and the chopped off ones were too short.

So tomorrow i'm going to JB weld the plate into place (With proper reinforcements this time around!) and maybe dremel out the areas of the case i'll need to for the backplate, depending on how lazy i'm feeling ;)

Also prepping for sanding, going to do some coarse sanding and then work down to a polish. I'll then do the primer and paint on top of that.

at this rate i should be done before i'm out of school.

I'm still trying to hold to this, wish me luck!

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

• 1 month later...

I've been neglecting this build log for too long!

Nothing major has happened, but a lot of good work has been done (pictures to follow, not quite where i want to be for an update yet)

I filed down (By hand  :wacko:) the edge of the opening to the right size. Now it's a perfect fit (more or less, doesn't matter too much) for the IO panel.

I've also drilled holes in the back panel. A lot of holes. I'm almost done with that. Today was my last day of school, i'll have a load more time now. My weekends have been unproductive lately. Ever since memorial day weekend things have slowed to a crawl, but i'm prepared to knock this thing out as fast as possible from here on out*...

*so i can start me next project ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Teaser;

(see if you can find the really bad spots, there are a few)

VikgQg0.jpg

JB weld is drying right now, will do a more proper update when it's done

Progress update;

Continued smoothing our burrs (man that sucked, but it's done now)

Finished (theoretically) filing the inside edge of the cutout

Filled in most of the holes that needed filling. Just a few left along the outer edge, which i'll do when i put the shield in place.

This picture is slightly outdated, but then again, so is the update post :)

wqEJS9F.jpg

Progress update;

Continued smoothing our burrs (man that sucked, but it's done now)

Finished (theoretically) filing the inside edge of the cutout

Filled in most of the holes that needed filling. Just a few left along the outer edge, which i'll do when i put the shield in place.

This picture is slightly outdated, but then again, so is the update post :)

wqEJS9F.jpg

Sorry for the stupid question, but did you make that IO plate thingy from scratch?If so, what kind of sheet metal did you use and what thickness?

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

Sorry for the stupid question, but did you make that IO plate thingy from scratch?If so, what kind of sheet metal did you use and what thickness?

The thing with the PCI expansion slots is from mountainmods

http://www.mountainmods.com/mountain-mods-modular-io-panel-p-486.html

Or for a full tray

http://www.mountainmods.com/mountain-mods-modular-removable-motherboard-tray-p-56.html

I wouldn't really recommend it, there are better options available. Caselabs offers their backpanels, which are honestly just higher quality in general. Or even salvage one from an old case.

If you meant the part epoxied into the back, it's just 0.063" aluminum sheets from onlinemetals.com

I think it was 0.063...i can check that if you need

snip

Yeah, I was referring to the thing with PCI slots :D I originally wanted to get a MM tray but the shipping would be more expensive than the damn thing, I could get an old case and use that but it's hard to find a case with the plate held by rivets and I'd be better off making my own :D 

Yeah, I was referring to the thing with PCI slots :D I originally wanted to get a MM tray but the shipping would be more expensive than the damn thing, I could get an old case and use that but it's hard to find a case with the plate held by rivets and I'd be better off making my own :D

And honestly, even if it's not held in by rivets...an angle grinder and some patience can go a long way ;)

And honestly, even if it's not held in by rivets...an angle grinder and some patience can go a long way ;)

Yeah, but I prefer the cleaner looks of a riveted plate and it also is easier to remove and mount :D 

Can't wait to see how your build is going to look like when it's done(same goes for mine, I've had the G5 for over a year now and done nothing to it other than let it gather dust :( )

Yeah, but I prefer the cleaner looks of a riveted plate and it also is easier to remove and mount :D

Can't wait to see how your build is going to look like when it's done(same goes for mine, I've had the G5 for over a year now and done nothing to it other than let it gather dust :( )

Yea, being able to keep removing the plate makes it my life so easier.

If i had to do all this filing with the plate still installed i'd have given up  :wacko:

And thanks, i can't wait either! I'm currently awaiting a few packages (and some paychecks) for water cooling gear... ;););)

love it! the G5 looks so much sexier than my G3. :/

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

love it! the G5 looks so much sexier than my G3. :/

The G3 probably isn't nearly as hard to carry around tho

The original G5 was around 40 pounds, i don't even want to know what it'll be when i'm done

The G3 is still sexy tho

My favorite Mac case is still the G4 Cube. It's so beautiful, too bad I can't find any for sale in my country :/

And before i forget, i did get a new phone. Expect nicer photos henceforth

#longlivethepotatocam

M6VjIE6.jpg

My favorite Mac case is still the G4 Cube. It's so beautiful, too bad I can't find any for sale in my country :/

Yea, it's a shame there aren't more of them. They're not even particularly common in the USA. Great for iTX builds though, if you can find em

And before i forget, i did get a new phone. Expect nicer photos henceforth

#longlivethepotatocam

*photo of sexy LG G4*

Damn good choice m8!

I have the G3 and I'm loving it, saw the G4 in them carrier stores and it's fokin gud :D

I hope I'll get it next year, after I get a Macbook Pro 2012 :) (that's next summer lol, like a year from now so hopefully I won't waste that money)

I've been trying to post a teaser for like 3 hours, but imgur is down

And on that day i remembered you can upload images directly to the forum

post-55232-0-82029100-1436469216.png

:o

290x Lightning Wow!

Moar teasers please :P

I've had the lightning in my current build for a while. It's gonna be a while before i get her wet though.

Because water cooling requires lots of $$$

Edit: i'll prepare an update taking stock of what i have and what i need

I've had the lightning in my current build for a while. It's gonna be a while before i get her wet though.

Because water cooling requires lots of $$$

Edit: i'll prepare an update taking stock of what i have and what i need

Yeah wc is expensive

Ok, lets just do a quick status update so we all know where we are.

The Case;

I have to

1. Redo the front part, and reinforce it. Also need a spot for a power button, but that's not so hard.
  2. Finish drilling out the JB weld in the back and clean up small spots
  3. Build the radiator and fan mounts
  4. Wetsand everything and paint

That's it, theoretically.

The Parts;

I have in my possession

1. Reservoir(s)
  2. Pump top
  3. Pump cover (i think that's what it's called)
  4. Compression fittings (3/8 ID 1/2 OD)
  5. GPU block/backplate

I need

1. Pump (D5)
  2. CPU block (EK? probably)
  3. PETG tubing (and silicon insert)
  4. A couple of stop/plug fittings
  5. A T-Fitting and some couplers for a drain port
  6. Sanity

You'll notice some things are missing, like fans and a radiator...because, well...

They're on their way

BycglI6.png

Yes there is also a pass-through, that's gonna be for the drainage port. I'll have it sticking through the bottom. I don't have enough cash right now for the rest of the fittings yet. I'll get them with the pump and tubing.

• 3 weeks later...

I swear this project isn't dead :)

9gTzoSr.jpg?1

EK Supremacy Full Nickel. Weighs about 12 ounces

I'm dead tired, but still alive!

I've been getting work done, but i've been at fencing camp for the past week, and i'll be in camp still next week. So it's slow. I'll see if i can't write an update on what's been done this sunday, my only free day this week.