Performance issues.

System Specs-

2500k @ 4ghz,

Asus p8p67 LE

16GB DDR3 1600

r9 290 @ 1100/1250

750w Corsair Bronze PSU

First of all my motherboard really limits me to overclocking my 2500k. The last time I tried to OC it I got it to 4.3Ghz and lasted through Prime95 for about 1.5 hours before it bluescreen. Temps were no issue but the board's VRAM may have been getting toasty which may be another reason. Though I was watching a twitch stream during the run so maybe that caused it. Anyways.

Basically over time and as I updated my drivers I feel my performance has decreased. When I did a fresh install of Windows 8.1 and AMD 14.3 drivers I averaged on Battlefield 4 on Ultra with no AA or AA deferred around 105 ~ 120+ fps. I capped it at 120 because that is what I set my refresh my rate on the monitor to. The last time I updated my drivers I believe was 14.7. This driver caused a lot of stuttering and so I went back to 14.3 but it just wasn't the same. I always use Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall old drivers. I recently updated to 14.12 and now I still have  stutters and even less average frames with frames dropping all the way down to 55. That has never ever happened. I am using Mantle. A few months ago I tried to play Bad Company 2 and even when I had 100% 120fps steady it still was not smooth. It felt like 60fps and was stuttering. And here I am now playing Battlefield Hardline with stutters. I also noticed that my GPU usage is never stable, that shit is literally all over the place. Here is an example of what it looks like, except worse. What could be happening?

Could my CPU be holding me back? I plan on getting a 390x when it comes out but I don't want to be limited by my CPU if that is the case. I am really trying to wait till Skylake comes out to upgrade my CPU and motherboard.

How does the Catalyst Omega driver work for you? (Or is that 14.12 you speak of, I actually can't remember if its the same)

BF4 will eat up the CPU cycles, but even mine at 99% across all cores has no effect on my GPU staying between 95-100%.

Also.. Switch back to DX11 for BF4 and test to see if its causing issue (A thread yesterday,.... using Mantle was the problem)

Do you monitor your CPU/GPU loads when playing/seeing these issues?

I'd still try a different driver set...

Also - When a fresh install is done,.. windows isn't bloated, as over time it does slow down a little bit,..it gets bloated with all the junk in the background, and the system can be slowed to a degree.

System Specs-

2500k @ 4ghz,

Asus p8p67 LE

16GB DDR3 1600

r9 290 @ 1100/1250

750w Corsair Bronze PSU

When I did a fresh install of Windows 8.1 and AMD 14.3 drivers I averaged on Battlefield 4 on Ultra with no AA or AA deferred around 105 ~ 120+ fps. I capped it at 120 because that is what I set my refresh my rate on the monitor to. The last time I updated my drivers I believe was 14.7. This driver caused a lot of stuttering and so I went back to 14.3 but it just wasn't the same. I always use Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall old drivers. I recently updated to 14.12 and now I still have  stutters and even less average frames with frames dropping all the way down to 55. That has never ever happened. I am using Mantle. A few months ago I tried to play Bad Company 2 and even when I had 100% 120fps steady it still was not smooth. It felt like 60fps and was stuttering. And here I am now playing Battlefield Hardline with stutters. I also noticed that my GPU usage is never stable, that shit is literally all over the place. Here is an example of what it looks like, except worse. What could be happening?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Honestly every driver I have used since originally using 14.3 has been a bad experience. The only benefit for me from using 14.12 over 14.3 has been that I can actually hold the 1100 overclock on the GPU. Before on 14.3 it would artifact. I will try doing some more tests tomorrow on Hardline with DX11. However with Battlefield 4 on DX11 is basically the same issues with Mantle only with even less FPS.

OP, find a program to force Windows Timer Resolution to "1" (1ms). This might fix a lot of your issues with the stuttery feeling (no promises about fixing frame drops).

As for how you manage to do that, that's on you. But it fixed issues for me with smoothness because #Windows8

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

OP, find a program to force Windows Timer Resolution to "1" (1ms). This might fix a lot of your issues with the stuttery feeling (no promises about fixing frame drops).

As for how you manage to do that, that's on you. But it fixed issues for me with smoothness because #Windows8

I beleive this fixed my issues of the stuttering. I just set it to 0.5 and my gpu usage has improved jurrasically. I guess I just get less fps in Hardline than I do Battlefield 4 for whatever reason even though Hardline looks like ass.

I beleive this fixed my issues of the stuttering. I just set it to 0.5 and my gpu usage has improved jurrasically. I guess I just get less fps in Hardline than I do Battlefield 4 for whatever reason even though Hardline looks like ass.

THAT is due to bad optimization. Glad you fixed your stutter with timer resolution fix.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Okay I lied, that did not fix GPU usage. It maybe just werked for that round but I tested a few rounds and it is back to going crazy. This is on both Mantle and DX11.

Did some more testing. It seems for me to be able to hold a 80% or higher GPU usage I need to max out the entire game and ramp up the resolution scaling to 150%. This however drops me to around 50 fps. This is on DX11.